Menu

Question about First Language Lessons for the WTM

NovelMama

I have a question for those of you who have used this curric. I know it's scripted, but I'm wondering how imperative it is that you stick to the scripting and what purpose it serves. I love love love all its components, but I hate scripted stuff because it feels inauthentic and artificial (and I don't like being told what to do ;) ). So tell me: did you find the scripting helpful? Did you stick to it faithfully, or use it more as a guide? Is it really that necessary? (And any other comments about the curric are welcome, too!)

I did paraphrase at times, and dropped redundant parts. If my kids could tell me the definition on their own I didn't make them say it three times, for example. However, the scripted parts are so integral to the curriculum that you can't just skip them. It wouldn't make a lick of sense.

That said, I'm not one that really cares for scripted curricula, but for the most part just blindly following this one is painless and effective.

With FLL the script is the lesson, you cannot skip it, but you can make it your own. There is no need to read absolutely every word and when they were talking about family names at the begining I changed lots of things as we use different names than usual for some of our extended family. I think it is a great program and really, the scripting makes it SO easy to open and teach. Dd really likes it too and often chooses it as her first subject of the day.

I did paraphrase at times, and dropped redundant parts. If my kids could tell me the definition on their own I didn't make them say it three times, for example. However, the scripted parts are so integral to the curriculum that you can't just skip them. It wouldn't make a lick of sense.

That said, I'm not one that really cares for scripted curricula, but for the most part just blindly following this one is painless and effective.

:iagree: I like FLL's scripts even though I'm not a script girl because they are easy to paraphrase or change to suit us. I think it is easy to tell at a glance parts that shouldn't be changed or cut out.

:iagree: I like FLL's scripts even though I'm not a script girl because they are easy to paraphrase or change to suit us. I think it is easy to tell at a glance parts that shouldn't be changed or cut out.

:iagree: I found it easy to combine 2 or 3 lessons into one day too, if needed.