Menu

Does anyone completely ditch art?

If DS13 were in PS I would be livid if they chose to cut art. However, I'm looking at the schedule this year and I'm not sure I want to spend time on it as a separate class. My thinking though, is that in PS there was so few other opportunities to be creative that art was a necessary outlet. With homeschooling; however, I can sprinkle it across the curriculum without dividing it into it's own class. Right?

DS has had the opportunity to join 2 different art co-ops this year and he wasn't interested in either. Even doing it at home didn't seem to pique his interest at all. On the other hand, he is doing some visual (photography) and performing arts (drama) this year. Does he really NEED drawing/painting etc.? Does anyone else ditch it?

Sounds like you are doing art if your son is doing photography. Drama is art too :) I wouldn't see the need to do it every year as a separate subject unless the child loves art. I also agree that art spread out across the curriculum is still art. So, it sounds like you have double coverage before adding a separate drawing/painting time.

I never did art at home with either kid. They did get it at the homeschool program they attended, but if they hadn't, I probably wouldn't have managed to teach it.

When my older son started high school as a homeschooler, he didn't attend any outside classes and we didn't do art at home either.

So, you have my permission to drop art, for what that's worth!

My 6th and 8th graders won't be doing art this year. They both hate it, and I don't think we have the time. At this point, if they ever do art again, it will be art appreciation or history, not actual drawing/painting.

I've taken this approach to music after failing to elicit any interest on my daughter's part to actually learning to sing or play an instrument. She does take outside classes in art and I encourage it at home, but it's because that's her passion. Otherwise we'd also work on art appreciation (and likely just doing that in the context of history).

Wanna hear something funny?

I never got around to doing art with my ds when he homeschooled (he hs'ed high school only). He did guitar with his dad for music and that covered the fine art credit.

Check out what he's majoring/minoring in, down in my siggy. :D

When I was in middle school, we had a choice of art, choral, or band. I chose band. Never had a day of art instruction in middle or high school. Sounds like you're doing something similar - selecting particular fine arts to do. ;)

(I don't do art with my elementary kids either... We do music, and they have art supplies available)

Wanna hear something funny?

I never got around to doing art with my ds when he homeschooled (he hs'ed high school only). He did guitar with his dad for music and that covered the fine art credit.

Check out what he's majoring/minoring in, down in my siggy. :D

:lol: Now THAT is hilarious!

I don't remember ANY art from my school days except for early coloring/painting type things.

I've never done any formal art study with my kids and they are no worse off. My DD is very into art and crafts so I let her do her own thing. She takes classes and then on painting or pottery but it's based on her interest.

My oldest is just now starting to get into drawing a little.

I offer support for their interests but we just don't have enough hours in the day to do a formal art program and I don't regret it.