Menu

Son placed in middle of 8th grade, but going into highschool.

My son had a late start in school (6.5 years, was reading by 7). Obviously, he's had plenty of time to catch up and is basically lazy when it comes to school. He does the bare minimum. He placed 8.6 grade level 57 percentile in 'Test Point' from Christian Liberty Press. He also has not finished pre-algebra. Normally, I wouldn't worry if we continued to home school. But we need to put him in school-long story. He is 15 (January birthday along with his late start). I'd like him to be in 9th grade.

Will he do ok in 9th grade? I don't think he'll work hard enough for College Prep. courses.

Anyone know what the school (public) will/can do for him? I've emailed the Public high school and mentioned he needs to take or finish pre-algebra and they wrote back that 9th grade students start with Algebra 1.

I can't believe that ALL highschool kids in Florida start high school with Algebra 1...

My son had a late start in school (6.5 years, was reading by 7). Obviously, he's had plenty of time to catch up and is basically lazy when it comes to school. He does the bare minimum. He placed 8.6 grade level 57 percentile in 'Test Point' from Christian Liberty Press. He also has not finished pre-algebra. Normally, I wouldn't worry if we continued to home school. But we need to put him in school-long story. He is 15 (January birthday along with his late start). I'd like him to be in 9th grade.

Will he do ok in 9th grade? I don't think he'll work hard enough for College Prep. courses.

Anyone know what the school (public) will/can do for him? I've emailed the Public high school and mentioned he needs to take or finish pre-algebra and they wrote back that 9th grade students start with Algebra 1.

I can't believe that ALL highschool kids in Florida start high school with Algebra 1...

I can't answer how he'll do but I do know that not all children do pre-algebra. Algebra often starts with a review of pre-alg. Could you work with him until school starts shoring up any of the concepts he hasn't done--or have him work on the pre-algebra track on Kahn academy?

All of the Florida high schools I am aware of begin with Algebra I. But most of the larger high schools have a two-year Algebra track for the kids that aren't solid on their pre-algebra skills. You may want to check into that. I think the classes are generally called Algebra IA and Algebra IB.

Idk what I would do.

If I truly felt it was a discipline issue and he is just being lazy, then I would simply tell him he had not proven himself ready for 9th grade work and would be 8th.

If I felt it was a development issue, and it can be for many boys, then I would contact the school about options.

Is he over all placing 8th grade or only in math? If over all he is placing in 8th, then 8th is where he should be.

:grouphug:

"Is he over all placing 8th grade or only in math? If over all he is placing in 8th, then 8th is where he should be."

We just finished 8th grade and he is 15 1/2. I did find a private school that would put him in 9th grade, but sit with 8th graders to do Pre-Algebra. Then I'd get him through Algebra 1 during the summer.

What do Florida high schools do with kids that can't do Algebra?

PS: Our local highschools do have Algebra 1a and 1b.

"Is he over all placing 8th grade or only in math? If over all he is placing in 8th, then 8th is where he should be."

We just finished 8th grade and he is 15 1/2. I did fine a private school that would put him in 9th grade, but sit with 8th graders to do Pre-Algebra. Then I'd get him through Algebra 1 during the summer.

What to Florida high schools do with kids that can't do Algebra?

Wait, you are looking at a private school? That's a whole other thing. They might not have 9th graders who aren't doing algebra. Most GOOD private schools here (here being OKLA and not FL) are strict about students doing their work and staying on track. If they start to fall behind for any reason, the parents are notified that the student is having motivation, development or other issues and tutoring, summer school, night classes or whatever is insisted upon to being up to the school's standards if they want to stay in school. Very few private schools have options for kids that fall behind for any reason. They simply can't afford the accommodations.

Also, not being in algebra will automaticly put him in 8th grade science as well.

Likewise in some schools a lower reading or writing level will automaticly put them inna lower history as well.

I *think* both of those are pretty standard benchmarks for grade placement.

But I did find a private Christian school that will work with us.

I'm thinking of sending him to the Private school for Pre-Algebra, only. Then continue 9th grade studies at home; doing Algebra 1 and Biology over the summer. Hopefully, he'll be able to enter 10th grade.

My son is a computer junkie. Can't get him to do ANYTHING and can't get my husband to support me as hubby is on his computer every second that he's home. They spend weekends, vacations, holidays on their computers. I think that is the biggest reason son is behind. He gets the bare minimum of school done and is back on the computer. Please don't tell me to take his computer away or get rid of Brighthouse/Road Runner. My husband won't let me. When I try to dicipline my son about computer usage, husband stops it. Don't suggest I put a 'timer' on son's computer because husband won't let me and son is so computer savvy that he'd remove it. I thought public or private school would at least help my son with catching up and at least staying computer free for 6-7 hours a day.

But I did find a private Christian school that will work with us.

I'm thinking of sending him to the Private school for Pre-Algebra, only. Then continue 9th grade studies at home; doing Algebra 1 and Biology over the summer. Hopefully, he'll be able to enter 10th grade.

My son is a computer junkie. Can't get him to do ANYTHING and can't get my husband to support me as hubby is on his computer every second that he's home. They spend weekends, vacations, holidays on their computers. I think that is the biggest reason son is behind. He gets the bare minimum of school done and is back on the computer. Please don't tell me to take his computer away or get rid of Brighthouse/Road Runner. My husband won't let me. When I try to dicipline my son about computer usage, husband stops it. Don't suggest I put a 'timer' on son's computer because husband won't let me and son is so computer savvy that he'd remove it. I thought public or private school would at least help my son with catching up and at least staying computer free for 6-7 hours a day.

Have you considered a computer based math program such as Teaching Text?

We've used TT 7th and started him in Pre-Algebra for 8th grade. TT is known to be way behind. I'll have to use TT Algebra 1 this summer. It may not be rigorous enough for him to start outside school Algebra 2. Or I may trash the TT and use Keys to Algebra.

He is just slow and dawdling. We're only now getting into the real pre-algebra of TT Pre-Algebra around lesson 50.

We've used TT 7th and started him in Pre-Algebra for 8th grade. TT is known to be way behind. I'll have to use TT Algebra 1 this summer. It may not be rigorous enough for him to start outside school Algebra 2. Or I may trash the TT and use Keys to Algebra.

He is just slow and dawdling. We're only now getting into the real pre-algebra of TT Pre-Algebra around lesson 50.

Given the speed he works at, I think your plan to do Algebra 1 and Biology at home over next summer is placing your hopes too high. Those can be challenging courses for slow workers with a full school year to do them. Instead, I think you should keep plugging away at the pre-algebra course until he starts school, doing two or three lessons daily to get as much done as possible. It may go faster if he doesn't use the instructional CDs and just reads, or you read it aloud with him. Then, once he goes to school, have him take Alg. 1 (maybe 1a) and science there and spend your evenings helping him keep up.

I didn't want him starting 9th grade (public or private school) as a 16 year old. I just may need to keep homeschooling him. Done so with the others, they just cooperated more.

I agree with Margaret.

If he isn't doing 9th grade work, then whether you want him in 9th grade or not isn't going to matter much to the school. They are likely going to refuse. And if they don't refuse and he still doesn't keep up, he will end up with a failing grade. That certainly looks worse than being a 16 year old 9th grader with decent grades.

If he (and dad) isn't cooperating at home with school work you assign, then I'm wondering what the plan is to get him to cooperate doing the work someone else assigns? Because that issue isn't going to disappear.

I'd sit dad down and have the heart to heart Margaret mentions, but if they refuse to be motivated, then I would have to refuse to help them avoid the consequences. One of which may very well be being a 16 year old 9th grader or failing the course and repeating it in summer school. It's not easy watching that happen, but some times it's the only way for them to accept their own part in changing the situation. :(:grouphug:

I didn't want him starting 9th grade (public or private school) as a 16 year old. I just may need to keep homeschooling him. Done so with the others, they just cooperated more.

Whatever you do please do not rush your ds. I made that fatal mistake and I am still paying for it with my rising 11th grader. In 8th grade he was going through Pre-Algebra at slow but steady pace but he wanted to attend TX Connections Academy and they require all 9th graders to be placed in Algebra 1 no matter what.

So he did not get to finish most of Pre-Algebra and had a horrible experience with Algebra 1. We quit the online academy at winter break but the damage had already been done. Ds has math anxiety, thinks he's dumb, and tries to avoid math as much as possible.

I had this kid tested and he was placed at college level for calculation! We now use MUS, another one of those considered behind curricula. I started him way back at the Gamma level this spring (after attempting Algebra 1 a second time along with Geometry; neither worked out very well) to give him a solid foundation and fill in holes. He will start the new school year with Zeta. The plan is to start Algebra 2 by the start of summer.

You either need to get your dh to stop sabotaging you (good luck with that one) or find something that will motivate your ds so he doesn't sabotage himself with your dh's encouragement.

If going to an outside class will motivate him, then have him do outside classes. If math is the only subject he is behind in, then go ahead and have him do 9th grade level for everything else, but keep him at the level he actually needs for math.

I don't know how possible it is to get outside classes where you are or if you could afford it.

If you can get him into ps as a 9th grader, that's fine, but he'll still need to work at the level of math he is ready for. I don't know if the ps would accept him as a 9th grader since he is still working in prealgebra, but if they will, then I don't see a problem with putting him in ps as a 9th grader.

It is critical to make sure that he is doing math at a level that he can follow though. If prealgebra is what he needs, then prealgebra is what he should be taking.

@OP IMHO, you should concentrate on getting him a solid foundation, so he can progress, without failure. If he does not have a solid understanding, he cannot advance to more complex subjects. Worry less about his age and more about him not becoming discouraged and dropping out of High School....

There are probably more than a few kids who are older than he is, in the 8th grade and if that is where he is, academically, that is where he should be. GL to him!

Our FL PS HS offers Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1A and 1B. Here is the link for the heck of it. I think there are approximately 2000 students there. Does your PS have their curriculum guide on their website?

Last year, ds took 2 classes at PS, and he would like to do that again this year. It is my understanding that FL hs students may take up to 3 classes and still be considered hs'ers. Our school district has a Partnership department that helps out with navigating the dual enrollment option. Perhaps search for Partnership or Home Education on your school district's website.

I have a friend who put her ds in PS (do you have fundamental schools there?) in 11th grade. The school did not give him a placement test. They gave him whatever classes the mom suggested. He was also at grade level or even above, so it wasn't the same issue. They also granted him credit for all his 9th and 10th grade work, mostly but not all through FLVS. I think this is very school dependent.

FWIW, I completely understand about the electronic obsession by the males in the family. It's very frustrating. :grouphug:

HTH!

Oh my goodness.:grouphug: What does he do on the computer all the time?

I wouldn't worry about pre-algebra not being done with having an option for a slower Algebra 1a. You could use Key to Algebra at home with him while he does Algebra 1a at school.

Putting him in 8th grade when he'll be turning 16 in early winter wouldn't be the best idea IMO. If I couldn't get him into 9th because of math, I'd try to homeschool for math and put him in for some of the other stuff as a part-time enrolled homeschooler.

Also, what outside interests does your son have right now? How much does he socialize with friends, volunteer, exercise? And what does he think about going to school? From your post above, it sounds like all he does is sit on the computer when he isn't doing school work. If that's the case, I'd be trying to make some changes, too.

I don't think I'd attempt ps with a student so far behind his peers. I looked into public, private, and virtual options for my remedial student, and all the people I spoke to agreed that students in this position usually fall through the cracks if sent to school.

:(

I hear you about not being able to change your DH. I hope these other ladies are right and a heart-to-heart will get through to him, but I want to focus on what's in your power to change.

If the boy is on the computer all day and won't study and Dad backs him up, I'd do something drastic. Even if I had to drag half a dozen little kids along with my plan, I'd look at it as saving my son.

1. If you need to get him out of the house AND you need to be the one to teach him, can you go someplace else for the school day?

Your Mom's or MIL's house, a friend's house, an empty classroom in your church, a library study room...anywhere. Someplace where you can control the computer access, and obviously don't let him anywhere near a screen during the school time. He can learn with paper, pencil, and books, and he desperately needs that approach.

2. Find some kind of currency that doesn't involve computers since DH doesn't have your back on that issue. Find something your son wants in life and use it to motivate and correct him until he's putting in a decent school day in your new alternate location. You may have your reasons for letting your DH boss you but you have no obligation to let your son boss you. Figure out a working relationship that is between the two of you.

I'm thinking he's probably not a very happy boy if he's so far behind and has a computer addiction. What can you do to get him out in the world, interacting and achieving? What have you tried?

I want you to know that my whole heart goes out to you in your situation. I'm very close to a similar situation and I know the dual need to not blame yourself but also to not let it go on any longer, even with saboteurs all around.

Praying I've said something helpful and hitting 'submit,'

Tibbie

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

I don't know what your dh's motivation is for not having your back about the computer, but I'm wondering if he has your back about school in general? If he does, then maybe he doesn't realize the damage the computer is doing to your son? If you think that might be the case, maybe take him to the local public school and ask them to test him for grade entry (this doesn't obligate you to actually enroll him). Maybe if your dh sees that an outside authority is showing your son way behind that will make some impact on him?

Another thought....if your dh won't get your back about limiting computer time when he's at home....would he at least allow you to make the computer off-limits during the school day? Ideally, it's a laptop and you could toss it in dh's car each morning so it's not there to be argued over during the day.

Personally, I think the road that your son is currently on is a failing road, long term. So I wouldn't be adverse to letting him fail at a public school right now. Maybe that would make an impact on him. Yes, it's possible it won't, but since he's on a failing road anyway, you've really got nothing to lose by trying.

This really isn't a discipline issue. This is a power issue, between you and dh and your son. The responsibility lies on you, but you don't have the power to fulfill that responsibility, because your dh has snatched it away and given it to your son. I can be a mean woman, but I'll tell you what I would do: I would expel him from my homeschool until he AND dh earned his way back in through a substantial feat of some kind (perhaps not touching a computer for a month and getting himself caught up on math to at LEAST the completion of pre-algebra). I would toss it ALL to dh by telling him that since he has taken away the power to run your school, he gets the responsibility, too. I would tell dh it was up to him to figure out what to do with the kid all day, but that I would be notifying your local governing homeschool body (whatever that is) that this child is no longer homeschooled.

DH just returned home from a business trip. I showed him son's placement scores and he was shocked! It is amazing that my dh didn't listen or acknowledge that I knew son was in trouble and going downhill.

So.... let's see how this plays out. I'm going to continue homeschooling son until I know he's ready. Pray that my husband stays supportive.

Edited by Stillwood

Tibbie and Tammie :iagree:

What did your ds do for 8th grade? Would you mind listing? That will tell you a lot. If it wasn't much, then he will have trouble in ps 9th grade. You might get away with telling ds that he has one more year with you, next year is public school. It will be up to him whether it is 9th or 10th grade. Then give a list of what is to be accomplished weekly, monthly, by semester, and by the year. Not just year, because you might get near year end and if he slacks, he won't be able to save it. You will have to be tough and not care if he doesn't like you for awhile, but at some point, he will be grateful that you stood up for him and his future.

If your dh truly won't back you, then if it were me, if I couldn't get what needed to be accomplished at our homeschool, then I would put ds in school. The reason? Your son is being cheated an education. He needs guidelines to follow, either from you, or a school, and he needs to comply. In my experience, there are some kids who do not listen to parents well in high school homeschool. We were an exception in our area, most of dc homeschool group ended up at the public school, and were very behind when they arrived there.

DH just returned home from a business trip. I showed him son's placement scores and he was shocked! It is amazing that my dh didn't listen or acknowledge that I knew son was in trouble and going downhill.

So.... let's see how this plays out. I'm going to continue homeschooling son until I know he's ready. Pray that my husband stays supportive.

Glad to hear. How are things going? Any update?

He starts Monday, he's nervous and excited. I'm worried about his reading comprehension, but we'll see.

That's great. You might want to remind ds that while the private school will work with you more to get him caught up, they will in fact be LESS tolerant to slacking because they don't have to keep him. If he doesn't work very hard to help himself, they will mostly likely boot him. Then he'll be a 16 year old 8th grader.

ETA: might want to find out what the law is in your state, but many states are now requiring students to be up to speed in order to get driver's licenses, if he wants one that might be motivation for him

• 2 weeks later...

He can't write an essay, but the teacher will work with him. He's enjoying his teachers and the kids. There are 11 kids in his class-eight are girls.

He thinks he teachers are way-way easier than me. But he's only had orientation week. We'll see how it goes when they really get into doing school. The school classes are all college prep. He has two 9th grade classes- Art and College/Computers.

He is really enjoying the other kids. I miss homeschooling, but not fighting with ds.

My husband has completely taken over everything that has to do with our son's schooling. He makes sure ds does his homework at night, helps him with problems and also went to a teacher conference today. If you knew my husband, you would find that VERY unusual.