Menu

post menopause ladies - what was your last period like?

I've been perimenopausal for at least 5 years, with a few light but fairly regular periods this year (contrasted with the nightmare heavy ones that I hope to not revist.) This month my period was 3 weeks late and it is very, very light. No mood swings or insomnia this month either :) I'm so hopeful. Please, tell me what your last period was like.

It was awful. You know how they say that if you've gone 12 months without, you're done? Well, I was at a sheep show and it had been 11 months and 28 days. I've never bled so hard in my life--if I'd know where the ER was, I would have gone! It just came out of the blue, horrible, horrible. And that was it!

OH MY! Margaret, I really, REALLY did not want to hear this! Arrrgh!

I keep thinking I'm on the way out of this, being in my (mumble) 50's. I am still having periods but skip a month here and there. And last month it was like a day!

But I kind of laughed when I read the above, in commiseration, as I have a similar story. I've been really light and periods have been about six weeks apart for awhile. Then my appendix blew late last year, and I go to the hospital and end up staying 6 days. What happens? You got it - the period you describe above begins the same day I enter the hospital....it was super heavy and lasted NINE days, at a time when it was very difficult to clean up or change. I ended up using Depends, which resolved the bleeding-all-over-the-hospital-sheets issue. There IS a use for Depends if you are younger than retirement age! I found it!

My mom went 30 years without a period and then had a really bad one when she was 80! :svengo: (Obviously that was not normal. She had to have a D & C She said that she felt really strange shopping for supplies because back when she was having periods the pads came with belts!). I only offer this to say that women's bodies can do really strange things sometimes.

My mom went 30 years without a period and then had a really bad one when she was 80! :svengo: (Obviously that was not normal. She had to have a D & C She said that she felt really strange shopping for supplies because back when she was having periods the pads came with belts!). I only offer this to say that women's bodies can do really strange things sometimes.

Wow! I think I would freak. My first thought wouldn't be period.

I think it was officially endometriosis that suddenly showed up just for one time when she was 80. Still weird. And yes, she freaked (though at 80, I don't think she categorized it like that!)

Yeah, I'd say it was a bit weird. Sorry she had to go through all that.

Mine kept getting lighter and further apart. Then I went 14 months and thought I was done, had another one, went 13 months, and had two in a row (one month apart). They were all light. With the last one, I had ovulation pain for about 45 minutes but that was it. It's been almost 18 months since the last one so I *think* I'm done.

I've only had a handful of hot flashes and not any moodiness to speak of. I guess I'm like my mom. She said she just...stopped.

Was she on any hormone therapy for osteoporosis or anything like that? A similar thing happened to my husband's grandmother and it was due to her meds.

(sorry slightly off topic. I started reading this thread with interest to learn from the rest of you.)

Not one of us wanted to hear that. Not. a. single. One! :tongue_smilie: