Menu

How do you get internet if you cut cable?

From the company that does internet. Out here they are 2 separate companies. IN the city when we had internet we got it from the phone company. It was still high speed not dial up but from the phone company. We have had it in the past in the city from the cable company but did not hook up cable tv.

We have had DSL through a landline, both with and without paying for a landline in addition to internet. We have had cable internet without cable tv. If it's available, there are some other highspeed options like FIOS. There are also more expensive and annoying choices like satellite or running your computer off a cell phone connection.

We also get internet from the cable company. We do not have cable TV though.

As for netflix if you have a laptop or iphone maybe you could sign up at like the library for the dvd only option. Of course if that did work you would have to use the internet maybe once a month to go on and add movies to your queue.

I still want to know how I can get netflix with no internet?

I think you can get Netflix through having an xbox. You can also get some sort of streaming through a PS3. Also, if you buy one of the newer tvs, they come with different streaming services, such as hulu plus. Of course, all of these will charge you a monthly fee.

We still have cable for the Internet as well, just no cable TV service.

I still want to know how I can get netflix with no internet?

I don't see how you could, unless you have Internet access on your cell phone. Even if you just had DVD delivery service, you'd need the Internet to manage your queue and account (add movies, prioritize deliveries, manage payment, etc.). I suppose you could do all that from the library or another borrowed computer. You couldn't get streaming Netflix though.

I think you can get Netflix through having an xbox. You can also get some sort of streaming through a PS3. Also, if you buy one of the newer tvs, they come with different streaming services, such as hulu plus. Of course, all of these will charge you a monthly fee.

You still need Internet access for all of that, don't you?

No, the question was, how can she get Netflix without internet. The answer is: You can't. You must have a wifi capability to receive Netflix streaming.

DSL isn't fast enough for my DH's needs when he works from home so we have internet through the cable provider but don't get a TV package from them.

This. Also, we have a receiver (not an Xbox) that you can use to play Netflix, Blockbuster, YouTube and Pandora. We have no TV channels at all but we have no problem watching what we want to watch via Netflix instant streaming and on DVDs. We also sometimes watch stuff online (PBS or whatever) on our laptops.

You still have to hae internet access to run these services. They don't provide it. But you could subscribe to Netflix, and just use the streaming part when you have access to wireless internet away from home.

I have Clearwire for home phone and internet (home internet, plus a moblie hotspot). They offer high speed internet off of 4G phone signals (3G, too, but it's higher price). After bad experiences with both AT&T and Time Warner, we've been relatively happy, though I can't wait until there's more competition in this market, but at only $85/mo for all three, I haven't seen anything comparable yet.

It's not available in our area yet. Our cable tv is way cheaper than the accompanying cable Internet. To get that bundled with our phone bundled with our Internet is about $130. The phone/cable costs make up a way smaller percentage. I just wish we had options available .

ATT U-Verse. No cable needed. I divorced Comcast about a year ago. LOL

Yup, we kicked them to the curb 3 years ago and got high speed DSL through Verizon (which is faster and less temperamental* than Comcast ever was), for about half the cost of Comcast's internet-only rate.

*At least quarterly, our cable internet would degrade, bounce, then be completely down. It would take several calls and often multiple visits before they would find "mysterious" causes for the failure, always on their facilities. I had to teach one of the techs they sent how to do basic network troubleshooting. Comparatively, we have had Verizon service for 13 years, have never lost phone service, even in a hurricane and, on the rare occasions we have had service degradation, the techs are knowledgeable and find/fix the problem within an hour.