Menu

X post doing school with a newborn

I am due with baby #3 in 5 weeks :hurray:

We still need to have school although our current curriculum choices will not work during the initial infant adjustment period. (the screaming time as dh and I like to call it)

I have decide to do study guides on books since ds9 will spend hours reading.

The ones I have looked at are around $20 a piece way too much for my budget.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on free ones or a source of inexpensive study guides? Ds9 is technically in 4th grade but reads at about an 8th grade level so we have some flexibility.

Any advice about doing school with a newborn is welcome!!

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Infants tend to sleep a lot so that should help somewhat.

Is there a homeschool store in your area? You might be able to find the study guides for much cheaper.

Instead of a study guide could your daughter just read the books and then narrate to you? One idea I had with the kids I tutored was to give them a small write-erase board and pens and they drew some pictures of key points as they narrated.

My single most important piece of baby equipment was a sling at that age. If cost is an issue then any large piece of fabric (old sheet even) will do the trick. YOu can find sites on line that will show you different ways to wrap the material.

I just used 3 yards of fabric that was suppose to be pillows and never made it. I hemmed the fabric, tied it and threw the baby in... happy baby!

I love slings!! I have 2 and they were essential to having a baby. I like them better than those car seat/infant carriers - Much easier!! I have a Nojo type like you describe and a Baby Borjn (sp?) that puts the baby in front.

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!

Infants tend to sleep a lot so that should help somewhat.

Is there a homeschool store in your area? You might be able to find the study guides for much cheaper.

Instead of a study guide could your daughter just read the books and then narrate to you? One idea I had with the kids I tutored was to give them a small write-erase board and pens and they drew some pictures of key points as they narrated.

Thanks Jean.

Unfortunately, past about a month my babies are not sleepers. Both of my boys took about two 20 min naps a day and nursed every 2 hours. So the first few months are rough. There were allergies involved with both so hopefully, I can figure this out early.

I like the idea of drawing pictures with narrations. I think ds will enjoy this. Thanks!!! (I'll have to rep you tomorrow, I am out today)