Menu

--->Saxon Users come Here,PLEASE!

mom2agang

After trying every curriculum on the market and hating it. I've decided to go back to Saxon. I realize there is ALWAYS going to be the "Better" math curriculum out there to some but what gets done here is good for us! My kids like Saxon. My son hid his Algebra book so I wouldn't sell it.:blushing: My oldest is in Algebra I using the Art Reed videos and My two 5th graders are starting 54 using Teaching Tape Technology.( They like seeing the actual teacher. I actually bought them just because they can SEE the teacher.)

How have you made Saxon work for your family? My oldest just thinks like Saxon. I would like to use it for all my kids starting at 54.How do you teach your Saxon lessons? I heard some do all the problem or just evens/odds. I heard some do first ten to see if the child understands.Do you use the test book? Do you do flashcards?What do you have them write their answers in? How do you handle a struggling student? Also do you add other math curriculum to supplement it?

Sorry for all the questions. I just would like to math run as smoothly as possible:D

We have always used Saxon from first grade on. My oldest is finishing Algebra 2. I like it because I don't need to supplement it (too complicated for our numbers) and it's flexible so that I can move faster if desired. Here's how I'd answer your questions:

1) Some kids read the lessons themselves and I help explain only when they need me. For some I need to go over each new lesson with them.

2) I will allow doing the evens or odds if they are doing well and continue to show that they understand the material. If they miss them, I can always have them go back and do some of the skipped problems for more practice.

3) We use the test book. They have to do all of these problems. I base their grades off their test scores.

4) We don't use flashcards. Usually they enjoy the timed fact sheets, and I record their times and scores on the scoring sheet provided and keep them updated on how much faster or more accurate they are getting. I'd like to graph it for them but haven't gotten around to it. With this much daily practice, I don't think flash cards are necessary except in a case where they are really struggling with a particular category of facts.

5) We mostly use the graph-paper type sheets provided for doing the exercises and tests. I scanned them and print off copies as necessary. I have one sloppy writer for whom we are using regular lined paper sometimes.

6) When we struggle, it's usually a protest against something hard (like double-digit multiplication recently). I've gone back to prior lessons to review and sometimes use the supplemental exercises for extra practice. Sometimes I need to explain things from a different angle for them to get it. My strategy is to go back to where their foundation of understanding is strong and rebuild the steps to get to the current topic. Because of Saxon's spiral method, I haven't had to do this very often.

My oldest that is doing algebra has benefited from keeping an index card or two with geographic formulas, rules for handling exponents, etc.

How have you made Saxon work for your family? My oldest just thinks like Saxon. I would like to use it for all my kids starting at 54.How do you teach your Saxon lessons? I heard some do all the problem or just evens/odds. I heard some do first ten to see if the child understands.Do you use the test book? Do you do flashcards?What do you have them write their answers in? How do you handle a struggling student? Also do you add other math curriculum to supplement it?

Sorry for all the questions. I just would like to math run as smoothly as possible:D

I have not used the videos, but here is how Saxon works at our house. We sit on the couch together and go through the mental math and then the lesson. We do the first few lesson practice problems together, until I am sure that she has the concept. Then she does all of the mixed practice problems in a spiral notebook and we go over the one that she misses consistently. I have her do all of the problems, because 1) it doesn't really take that long, and 2) I have heard that kids who don't do all the problems are more likely to get lost in Saxon. We also do the fact practice every day, but I don't do every test. If we need extra practice before moving on, then we will do the tests or supplement with other worksheets from http://themathworksheetsite.com/subscr/index.html.

My son has used Saxon since Saxon K and he is in 5/4 now. I didn't use the regular Saxon 3, I switched to 3 Intermediate when that came out.

We start every day with the timed practice drill sheet, then while I'm looking over that he starts on his lesson.

I have made a lesson sheet to go with the lessons. It just has a space for his name, the date, the lesson, check boxes for all the different things he needs to do in the lesson (like fact practice, mental, math, lesson, lesson practice, then mixed practice), boxes for the mental math, boxes for lesson practice, and finally boxes for the mixed practice.

He works on the mental math, then we both go over the lesson together and then I let him go on with the lesson practice. He completes ALL of the problems, I don't let him skip any.

We do use the tests. We don't use flashcards as the timed drill and the xtra math thing he does every day is more than enough practice. I can't answer to how to handle a struggling student, as I haven't had one, sorry :/ I also don't supplement with anything else.

Its been advised against for skipping problems and such in Saxon. I know some people do it but the problems are not always going over the same type of math. One of the things I have done is have my son do half of hte problems with me during math time and then he does the other half with his dad before/after dinner. Recently though he has been just finishing them up during math time because he has had enough time left over to do it.

We didn't use Saxon for very long, so take this with some salt if needed.

DD did every single problem, from mental math to the bottom of the review set, and often did two full lessons a day. If a lesson looked like something she could do blindfolded with one arm behind her back, we skipped the entire lesson. Mind you this is a kid who eats math for breakfast and seems to speak it's language.

I don't even remember exactly which two books she used anymore; one of them was 7/6, the other was either 8/7 or 6/5. When she finished the highest Saxon book we own she moved onto a prealgebra book already on our shelf (Lial's).

We just read the lesson together, dc did the practice set, checked it, then dc did the rest of the lesson.

Always, always, always have your dc do every.single.problem. Here are some comments from WTM forum members Janet in WA and Jann in TX:

Saxon did go to a lot of trouble developing the design of those problem sets. Unlike with most textbooks that just offer lots of practice with the same kind of problem where omitting some of them doesn't have much impact, omitting Saxon problems can mean omitting certain kinds of problems entirely from a day's practice. Also, sometimes several problems in a set are related, and doing each of them helps the child understand the nature of the mathematical relationship (i.e. fractions, decimals and percents).

You will get many different answers to this question. There are many here on the boards who only give the odds or evens out...the PROBLEM with this is that Saxon DOES NOT design their program to be used in this manner (many other texts are designed this way). When you skip problems with Saxon you are setting yourself up for trouble later on...the problem sets do not have ‘evenly spaced’ concepts AND some “concepts†may ‘look’ the same to the untrained parent--BUT each problem is actually teaching/testing in a different area. By routinely skipping problems you are missing out on critical review. In most of the series--7/6 and above the practice problems often DIFFER from the original concept (the one noted by the little number). As the student’s knowledge and experience increases so does their ability to COMBINE concepts. The review problems are often more difficult/complex than the original practice problems.

I’m a certified Math teacher--turned homeschool Mother. I have taught/tutored Saxon for over 7 years (1st grade -Advanced Math). The vast majority of the students seeking tutoring in Pre-Algebra and above are those who routinely skipped problems--working only half of the problem set.

Skipping problems in the texts below 7/6 MAY work out well for some students as the concepts taught are very basic. From 7/6 on it is very important to work EVERY problem. If the problem set takes ‘too much time’ to do each day most likely the reason is that the student needs MORE practice!!!

I have a dd with some learning differences and she has had success working 15-20 problems a day--continuing on the next day without skipping any problems. She completes a little over 3 problem sets a week.

Some people are fine with their students making a “B†in math. It is sad that those students could be making “A’s†if only they had used the text the way it was designed!

It is probably obvious that I am passionate about this issue. When you choose to use a program such as Saxon that is designed with a complex spiral review it is important to use the program correctly--taking shortcuts will only shortchange your child. There may be other math programs where working only 10-15 problems a day is sufficient--but Saxon is definately NOT one of them.

I've only used Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 and Calculus. I've been looking at 54 for my tutoring students, but it's too hard for them to do QUICKLY and ACCURATELY. I believe in placing students LOW in Saxon. The barrage of topics is overwhelming unless the student is truly doing most of them as review.

I prefer the method of doing EVERY problem. Some things are not TAUGHT, but DISCOVERED, as the problems are done in order. If you leave out a problem, you leave out a tool to be used in the discovery process. Some children can make jumps. My youngest was like that. Most cannot. My oldest was like that.

I'm looking at 54 too, but I can't figure out how to get the students as ready for it, as I want them to be, before starting it. And then when I look at other things, I start thinking maybe of sticking with that. And then I end out accomplishing nothing.

One of my neighbors is playing around with Algebra 1 (2nd edition) this week. That is the Saxon book I am most familiar with. I used it way back in the 90s with my accelerated 5th grader. We used to race for skittles. The first person to get the answer right got a skittle, and ate it in front of the other with lots of lip smacking. I was desperate and young. Forgive me.

The intermediate 3 looks decent but doesn't have a full answer key and it's NOT cheap :-0 What's with that?

I just wish there were unscripted books down to grade 1. I'm so ready for unscripted Saxon, but my students are not ready for 54. At least not the way I want them to be ready.

Oh, and I decided to stop testing and concentrated on perfection in daily work. Art Robinson skipped the tests. The DIVE instructor warns not to :-0 People seem to have very strong opinions about testing on both sides.

If the problem set takes ‘too much time’ to do each day most likely the reason is that the student needs MORE practice!!!

This is what is holding me off from starting 54 with my students. I think many, many, many students are placed too high in Saxon.

Well I disagree,about doing every single problem.

I go through the lesson and assign problems that I know ky son needs more practice or review with. So he does evens or odds, plus usually 3 additional which I assign. I also do some orally with him, or ask him qiestoins to determine what he really needs review on or not. And I assign worksheets from the back if he's really really needing practice on one topic.

If you were just going to hand them the book and blindly assign half the problems that would just be awful. They really would muss a lot. But I homeschool for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that I want my children to have an individualized education. Therefore, every book I own is my tool, not my master.

But if you are not going to pay close attention and be consistent with the cutting out of problems, thoughtfully and carefully, don't do it. In that case, do them all.

If you were just going to hand them the book and blindly assign half the problems that would just be awful. They really would muss a lot. But I homeschool for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that I want my children to have an individualized education. Therefore, every book I own is my tool, not my master.

And I'd agree with you if we were talking about any other publisher. We're not. I believe what Janet and Jann have to say. :)

We have always used Saxon from first grade on. My oldest is finishing Algebra 2. I like it because I don't need to supplement it (too complicated for our numbers) and it's flexible so that I can move faster if desired. Here's how I'd answer your questions:

1) Some kids read the lessons themselves and I help explain only when they need me. For some I need to go over each new lesson with them.

2) I will allow doing the evens or odds if they are doing well and continue to show that they understand the material. If they miss them, I can always have them go back and do some of the skipped problems for more practice.

3) We use the test book. They have to do all of these problems. I base their grades off their test scores.

4) We don't use flashcards. Usually they enjoy the timed fact sheets, and I record their times and scores on the scoring sheet provided and keep them updated on how much faster or more accurate they are getting. I'd like to graph it for them but haven't gotten around to it. With this much daily practice, I don't think flash cards are necessary except in a case where they are really struggling with a particular category of facts.

5) We mostly use the graph-paper type sheets provided for doing the exercises and tests. I scanned them and print off copies as necessary. I have one sloppy writer for whom we are using regular lined paper sometimes.

6) When we struggle, it's usually a protest against something hard (like double-digit multiplication recently). I've gone back to prior lessons to review and sometimes use the supplemental exercises for extra practice. Sometimes I need to explain things from a different angle for them to get it. My strategy is to go back to where their foundation of understanding is strong and rebuild the steps to get to the current topic. Because of Saxon's spiral method, I haven't had to do this very often.

My oldest that is doing algebra has benefited from keeping an index card or two with geographic formulas, rules for handling exponents, etc.

:iagree: This is what we do. But the bolded part is something that we will try. Thanks!

And I'd agree with you if we were talking about any other publisher. We're not.

:iagree:

No one, other than the author, is familiar enough with each and every problem, to know which ones can be skipped.

If you place a student low enough, the problem sets don't take the same amount of time, as when a student is trying to juggle numerous unfamiliar problems. There is no need to skip, when a student is placed correctly.

I noticed with my boys, and friend's and neighbor's kids, at FIRST they were able to place 2-3 years higher in curricula other than Saxon, but... then it catches up with student, and they are right where they would have been if they had just been placed lower in Saxon, and worked their way through the problems.

For slow students sometimes they need an easier level, not another curriculum, and certainly not skipped problems.

Now for some truly gifted kids, who are able to make mental jumps of things NOT taught, THEY can skip problems. You know the type of kid that fixes a computer by thinking about what he would have done if he had written the software himself? Yeh, THAT kid can skip, MAYBE.

I'm all for using curricula as tools, but using a screwdriver like a hammer isn't the most efficient way to use it, for the average person.

We have not done a lot of Saxon: just Saxon Math K, and we are past Lesson 90 in Saxon Math 1.

When dd5 finishes Saxon Math 1, I am planning to have her start taking the "end of the week" tests for Saxon Math 2. If she can score greater than 90%, then we will skip that week of lessons and move on to the next.

Last year I sat in on a convention workshop with the mom talking about how her daughter started the year by doing the weekly review tests at beginning and the book and didn't score below 90% until she hit Lesson 75. So the next day, they started with Lesson 71.

I do not know if my dd5 will go that far. She may only pass one or two or even none of the review tests. But I do hope with this system, she will be exactly where she is supposed to be.

I have not yet decided if passing out of a week of lessons means that we will skip the entire group of lessons she has tested out of, or if we will still do the workbook pages for extra practice.

I am also hoping to do this with her for Saxon Phonics 1 this fall.

--------------------------------------

We also do flashcards every day.

I set a timer for 3 minutes. Dd5 does as many addition cards as she can in that time period. If she completes all the cards in the stack, beats her former score (# of cards completed), or matches the former score, she gets a treat of 1t mini m&ms. We do the same thing with subtraction.

:lurk5: I plan on having my ds start Saxon 5/4 soon. My math plan has always been Miquon with some supplements from various other sources in the K-3 years and then to move into Saxon books, with various supplements along the way.

I've looked at the first 20 or so lessons in Saxon and I thought it looked too easy for my ds, but I think I'm going to trust and use it the way it's designed. I'm a fan of a gentle pace in math rather than a rushing ahead to accelerate students and then having to backtrack to cover the basics.

We are using 6/5 for my older. She does 1 lesson a day. If she is going rather quickly I will let her "test" out of it using the Saxon tests. Example she was on Chapter 3 and we took the test and we skipped ch3-10.

She does the first set of problems. Once we get to the mixed practice/review she does every other or I choose ones she is struggling with.

I have the DIVE cd but we have not had to use it. DH typically goes over the lesson with her then she completes the other work independtly. We will be using the next level soon or might be switching to Aops pre alg.

:iagree:

No one, other than the author, is familiar enough with each and every problem, to know which ones can be skipped.

If you place a student low enough, the problem sets don't take the same amount of time, as when a student is trying to juggle numerous unfamiliar problems. There is no need to skip, when a student is placed correctly.

I noticed with my boys, and friend's and neighbor's kids, at FIRST they were able to place 2-3 years higher in curricula other than Saxon, but... then it catches up with student, and they are right where they would have been if they had just been placed lower in Saxon, and worked their way through the problems.

For slow students sometimes they need an easier level, not another curriculum, and certainly not skipped problems.

Now for some truly gifted kids, who are able to make mental jumps of things NOT taught, THEY can skip problems. You know the type of kid that fixes a computer by thinking about what he would have done if he had written the software himself? Yeh, THAT kid can skip, MAYBE.

I'm all for using curricula as tools, but using a screwdriver like a hammer isn't the most efficient way to use it, for the average person.

Well both my kids have high IQ and my son actually does fix people's computers so maybe we are that exception. Who knows.

But I will say that when we get to lesson 70 or so, we might slow down and do them all, as we touch more new material.

We've used Saxon K, 1, 2, 3, 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, and Algebra 1/2. :)

I would like to use it for all my kids starting at 54.

How do you teach your Saxon lessons?

At 5/4, I don't usually hands-on teach anymore. The boys read the lesson themselves. I'm sitting in the same room and if something is unclear, they will ask and I can explain it more fully.

I heard some do all the problem or just evens/odds. I heard some do first ten to see if the child understands.

We do all of the problems every day.

Do you use the test book?

Yes.

Do you do flashcards?

Yes, in Saxon 1-3. I'm upstairs right now, but I don't think there are flashcards for the higher levels.

What do you have them write their answers in?

We've always used the sheets provided (making a ton of photocopies before the year starts). Halfway through last year I discovered the wonderful joy of using regular graph paper for the mixed practice. It provides a lot more room!

How do you handle a struggling student?

My second son struggles with math. I really stay on top of where he's at, often checking his lesson practice before he moves on to mixed practice. Also, flashcards every day were essential in getting his math facts down.

Also do you add other math curriculum to supplement it?

:blush5: We also use Singapore Math & Life of Fred -- usually over the summer, but once in awhile when we hit a wall in Saxon, we'll switch over for a week or two. Singapore is always a level behind Saxon for us. And, we begin with LoF Fractions after 6/5. I was highly math phobic in college and I don't want the boys to ever feel that way.

Edited by Heather in WI

How do you teach your Saxon lessons?

Once they get to 54 the kids read the lesson themselves, I'm available if they need extra help in understanding. I may even point out items that they need to be sure to focus on. I do not make them do the lesson practice unless it is clear that they didn't get it (more on that below).

I heard some do all the problem or just evens/odds.

I am now in the "do all the mixed problems" camp. I realize this makes for a very long math period sometimes. In the past I have hand selected problems for the kids to do as long as their test scores remained high. I never did odd or even though

I heard some do first ten to see if the child understands.

I have not heard this

Do you use the test book?

Yes, we use the tests.

Do you do flashcards?

No. But I have them write formulas in the front of their spiral so they can easily find them.

What do you have them write their answers in?

They use a spiral notebook. I have offered graph paper, but no one has taken me up on it.

How do you handle a struggling student?

The struggling in our family has so far come from the mental block of having to do so many problems. They think it is unbearable! I will allow them to go slower or break math into two time periods.

Also do you add other math curriculum to supplement it?

No.

We continue math year round. When it is time to start a new book we test out of the beginning review lessons. This is mentioned on Saxon's homeschooling FAQ (at least it used to be).

I make sure to grade all the assignments and go over each of the missed problems with them. I find that even though they may seem to be missing a lot on the mixed practice, they do fine on the tests.

My oldest just started Algebra 1. I have him checking his own answers against the answer key (not the solutions manual). He is usually able to figure out his mistakes and then i only review the ones he really couldn't answer. The middle grades don't supply just an answer key - so I check those first.

In the middle grades - don't skip the fact sheets or the mental math. Even if we are testing through the first part of a new test we still do a fact sheet and a mental math from one of the lessons covered by the test.

Saxon is not fun (well - elementary grades are!), it's not colorful, it's not quick, it's long and hard, your kids may not like it - but they will learn math!

Honestly - our struggle is the mental block they have to doing 30 problems everyday.

Edited by Brenda in FL

We started Saxon with Intermediate 3, just started 5/4.

We do not skip problems. I'm getting better about doing the investigations.

Here's our method:

Dd has a folder that has about a week's worth fact practice sheets plus a spiral notebook to work in. (we used the graph paper last year, but she asked for a spiral this year and I'm fine with it.)

At math time she pulls out her timed sheet, she does it, we check together and record.

Then we do the mental math stuff mostly orally.

She reads the lesson. We work the lesson practice together most of the time.

Then the mixed practice is homework that she can do anytime before 4 (tv time). Turns it in.

I check that night or before math the next day.

She fixes the errors. (she has never needed to have it explained, usually just careless.)

If she gets way careless (a C grade), she has to do the entire lesson again from scratch. She has only done that once, and it was careless not needing help.

I don't think 20-30 problems is a lot, even with the timed 100 problems.mshe's never really complained about that either.

I do try to use Singapore's CWP's because she can get used to way Saxon does word problems...I think they (Saxon) gets the job done with word problems but I want her to have to think differently...slow down....read...concentrate. That's her though. I may not do it with little sis.

I go over the lesson with dd after she has read through it and teach her anything she doesn't understand.

She is young so I write out the problems into a notebook, except word problems where the skill to be learned is figuring out the problem which she does on her own. I found with my boys that having to write out the problems in the textbook forms of Saxon killed their love of math pretty quickly...when they were about 10-12yo they started writing out the problems more on their own and dd is about hitting that point.

She does all of the Practice section then I have her do all the word problems in the Problems section plus I pick out a number (usually 10-15) other problems to give her a variety of different types of problems each week without having to do every one. I don't do just odds or evens.

She takes the tests which I "grade" and we go over any problems that were wrong. I then make sure to give her similar problems from the next few chapters to cement the concepts.

We have used Saxon from Saxon K up through Algebra 1/2 and are doing Algebra 1 this year. Also, I have used Saxon myself as an adult math learner to fix the huge gaping holes that you could drive a truck through in my own knowledge! :lol: My kids love math and always have, except for last year when we tried something that was not Saxon :-( (Which DD did just fine, understood it and all, she just hated it.)

We do all the problems for the upper levels. I certainly have done all the problems in MY studies, which started at Algebra 1/2 (I'm doing Saxon Geometry right now). I have found that a lot of the homework problems will 'twist' a previously taught concept in a subtle way to lead the student into a new concept that will be taught in an upcoming lesson. If you happened the skip that homework problem, you won't be as prepared for the lesson than you would have been. I cannot recommend skipping problems for Algebra 1/2 or above. Now, below that we skip huge sections of books when my kids tell me that they are bored & they were flying through the lessons, but as someone else said, the early levels are pretty basic. I just went through the books to make sure we really had covered that material and skipped ahead to the next lesson that I wasn't 100% sure my kids could do easily.

We do math by sitting down together and going over the lesson. When my DD was younger and the problems were easier, we often did most of the lesson out loud - I figure if she can tell me what 87 x 17 is correctly without touching pencil to paper, then she does indeed understand the concept! :D This has lead to unfortunate problems with not wanting to write ANYTHING down, but that's because she is 'allergic to pencil work' in any form (this child even hated coloring books!), so it's probably not a problem most families would have!

We do use the test booklets. The tests are so much easier than the homework that it really makes the kids feel 'super smart' and also having had years of easy math tests means I have kids who have little to no test anxiety when yearly testing rolls around.

We used flashcards some with DD when she was younger, but she hated them and was learning her facts fine without them, so we dropped them. DS likes the flashcards so far, but he is more competitive and likes to see how fast he can say them. They are definitely optional.

We ARE creating our own flashcards for algebra vocabulary this year. Algebra is pretty concept heavy. Our flashcards have the word or phrase on the front, and on the back have the definition (or formula and what it is used for), what lesson number and page number it is first covered in, an example, and any particular helpful info as a note. For example, for the flash card for coefficient, on the back we have "The numeric factor of a product including a variable. Example: In the expression 4xy, 4 is the coefficient. Note: Also sometimes called the numeric coefficient." When she goes over her flashcards, I just expect her to know the definition of course.

My son doesn't write down his answers yet except on the provided workbook pages, but my DD used graph paper notebooks. Target has these in their school supply section right now, $1.99 for 100 pages. We stock up when they have them and bought 12 this year for the two of us combined!! :D The graph paper notebooks really helped with neatness for my DD, and for myself, the graphing problems are SO much easier to work out on graph paper.

My DD has not needed curriculum to supplement for the most part. We will once in awhile add in a video, usually from Khan Academy or AOPS, to help teach a concept that she's not getting but is plugging her ears when I try to help her by explaining it. DS did a lot of math games last year, mostly from Kitchen Table Math, and some Singapore word problems. We've read the Beast Academy comics, but he clearly doesn't 'get' everything they are talking about yet, so we have not done the workbooks, but I can see it coming for later.

Hope that helps! It's a solid, thorough program.

We do:

1. The Math Facts until they can do them in a reasonable amount of time OR have a good recall on them with flash cards. If I see that they are a little rusty I might pull them out.

2. Some or all of the Mental Math. I want my children to be able to do math mentally & this is a great way to show them they CAN. I pick ones I KNOW they can do, & I might pick one or two harder ones.

3. We read the lesson together.

4. I split the problems up by doing LOTS aloud/mentally. Then I pick problems I know they need to practice on or that apply to the current lesson & have them do those.*

*If the lesson was based on colouring in fractions, reading fraction pictures, reading a graph, etc. I do those problems orally. :)