Menu

2 years of Tapestry in one year

sle22

I am trying to find a sample lay out of how you would do 2 years of tapestry in one year. I want to get my son in a co-op next year. It is a little expensive for us to do this year. Now we know the price and can plan. They are doing year 4 this year, and I was going to do the same. There seems to be a lot of year 3 and sadly year 2 he would need to touch on to get "the big picture". We keep a timeline so he can see it, but I am wanting to touch on those years before fully doing year 4. He is an only child and he LOVES to read. Having said that I have the time and he just wants to read. I can not find anything from anyone on doing this. I know there are people out there that have done 2 years in 1 year. I can not be the only one. Please if you can provide me with suggestions it would be great :001_smile:

I know I said to touch on the other years. He will be able to do them. He will actually get Tapestry 2 more times from know till 12th. I just do not want to start in year 4 and he have no idea what is going on in the other years. We just started homeschooling in Jan. The only history he has really done is state, so what is you suggestions.:confused:

I thought each year of TOG was self-contained, so you could start anywhere in the cycle and be fine? :confused:

Kids are usually able to get a lot out of history even if it's read randomly or they start in the middle. How old is this child? I'm guessing around 2nd grade, if he'll get TOG 2 more times? If you'd like a quick overview, just grab the SOTW series. If your son likes to read at that level, he might read them himself. Otherwise, you could use it as bedtime reading or the like. Each book is about 300-400 pages.

But really, I'm sure your son would be fine jumping into the beginning of a TOG year without having done previous years, at least from what I've read on these boards about TOG (note that I have not used it!).

Doing TOG year 2 and 3 within 1 calendar year would be quite a slog. :svengo: We just finished year 2 and it was packed as it was. My recommendation, if your goal is year 4 co-op next year, would be to read the SOTW series. Read through volumes 1, 2, 3, and much (or all of 4) this year and he'll have the necessary background to hit the ground running next year. You can pick a few activities and a couple literature books from the activity guides to go along with the volumes.

ETA: OR read through SOTW volumes 1, 2, and the first half of 3 or so (through the American Revolution) and you can just start with TOG year 3. Or, just jump into year 3 cold this year. You can pick up the audiobooks to listen to in the car over the school year while you work through year 3. Particularly with younger children, there's no need to start at the beginning. He'll be fine jumping into the middle and working around to the beginning. By the time he's in middle school and high school, he'll have a good understanding of history. The most important thing for the younger kids is to have fun. You want them to jump for joy when you say it's time for history, not go hide under the bed.

HTH! :001_smile:

Edited by coffeegal

:iagree:

We have used TOG and doing 2 years in one calendar year would be so much work that it would easily turn my kids off of history. We started TOG with Y2 (middle ages, etc.) and I just had the older ones read STOW 1 so that they had some background and they were fine.

How old is your son?

If he is 9 or younger I would not worry about it at all. If he is older I would do Story of the World 2 and 3 (and whatever part of 4 that gets you to 1900) over the course of the year. That shouldn't be difficult for a child of 10 or above. Then I would fill in with books gleaned from the Activity Books. I would use WTM reading lists or lists from Sonlight Core D,E,G, H and choose a selection of books for him to read or to read aloud to him over the year. Choose ones that highlight some of the most impt events--Exploration, Revolution, Industrial Rev, Cololnization, Slavery, Civil War. Covering those topics would get you ready for Year 4.

But really, if he's young, I wouldn't even worry about it.

It would help to know the age of your child.

My suggestion would be to start with Year 2, Unit 3 and go through the end of Year 3. That would give a good overview of American history leading up to Year 4. If you want to cover that much history in just one year, you are going to HAVE to pick & choose which books you read.

I would:

1. Read all of the Core History books.

2. Each week I'd pick 1 or 2 of *either* the History in depth readings or the literature readings.

3. Depending on his age, I'd either skip geography/map aids or scale it back.

You'll have 54 weeks of Tapestry to cover in 52 weeks, and that's assuming you take no breaks for vacation, holidays, etc. which is clearly unrealistic.

I would highly recommend that you sit down with a calendar and mark out a school schedule for the year- when you will have breaks for holidays, vacations, etc. Then look at how many weeks you have left- you will probably have to cover 1-2 weeks of Tapestry each week. One thing you might consider doing is skipping the week Tapestry spends on Australia and the 2-3 weeks that they spend on South America. That might buy you a little extra time and, assuming your son isn't already in high school, you WILL come back to it, so there will be another chance to cover it in a few years.

My kids jump into our history cycle when they are ready wherever we are in the cycle. I would not try and cram two years of TOG into one year, no matter the age of the child. If we are looking at LG, then don't sweat it at all. If you are looking at UG then you could consider just reading through SOTW 3 and 4 if you want an overview of Y3 and Y4. You could add whatever literature was appropriate for the age of your child, especially if you have a reader. SOTW is the alternative UG spine for TOG. If I am reading your post correctly you will then start Y1 with the co-op and move forward from there.

I have decided to do SOTW Years 1,2,and 3. Mainly just reading it to my son and including some of the books. When we get to year 4 (which should not be that long) we will slow down and do more of the activites, and such. Thank you very much. Oh my son will be 10 in October and is pretty advanced. That is the only reason I am worried about it. The co-op we are doing next year has a program when he hits Highschool that would allow him to obtain upwards of 65+ credits for college. I just want him to have a good foundation of history. I feel like we are late in the game. I am not pushing him too hard.....like I said the first 3 SOTW will be just reading, a few discussion questions, and some of the recommended reading from it. We will really get into SOTW in year 4 and do the activities, etc. Thanks again :)

I have decided to do SOTW Years 1,2,and 3. Mainly just reading it to my son and including some of the books. When we get to year 4 (which should not be that long) we will slow down and do more of the activites, and such. Thank you very much. Oh my son will be 10 in October and is pretty advanced. That is the only reason I am worried about it. The co-op we are doing next year has a program when he hits Highschool that would allow him to obtain upwards of 65+ credits for college. I just want him to have a good foundation of history. I feel like we are late in the game. I am not pushing him too hard.....like I said the first 3 SOTW will be just reading, a few discussion questions, and some of the recommended reading from it. We will really get into SOTW in year 4 and do the activities, etc. Thanks again :)

Sounds like a great plan.