Menu

help me diagnose 5 yo dd

What do you think this could be? She has been complaining over the past 2 weeks about 4-5 times that her chest feels like she can't breathe as well. It's had to get a good description from a 5 yo, but she says her lungs can't get all the air she needs. She says it does not hurt and it is not in her throat. She is not visibly gasping or anything. She is otherwise fine and I wouldn't have a clue except she is complaining about it. The first few times it was in the car as she was getting into her carseat. Today it was at a restaurant. No other symptoms that I can think of.

I'm wondering if this could be asthma? Do you think so? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

That is exactly how my asthma felt when it wasn't so bad that I was wheezing. In fact, it still feels that way sometimes. Please have her checked out. Asthmatics often end up with a flow meter to measure their lung capacity (just a little plastic thing you blow in) and the first sign of a flare up is that the amount they blow out goes down. This is before wheezing.

I would check with your doctor. I agree that it is possiblely asthma? My son is 11 and recently complained several times of chest pain. I did discuss with our doctor. I explained to him that I listened to his chest when this was happening and heard no wheezing.(I am a nurse). The doctor feels like it is asthma related. He only complains of chest pain and no difficulty breathing.

Just to be different, my DD sometimes complains of chest pain with constipation or a stomach ache. I have IBS and sometimes get the same thing. I'd certainly get her checked out for asthma. If she said it while or right after eating, I might suspect GI.

My 14 yo was complaining of the same thing a couple months ago. We gave him an allergy med (Allegra) and it worked. So, in him, it must have been allergies.

ETA: After reading the next response, I wanted to say that my ds had just had a full cardio work up when we gave him the allergy med. So, we knew it wasn't that. Definitely take her in and have her checked out.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

THat certainly sounds like it could be asthma, but it could be other things too. Either way, asthma or other issues (it could be cardiac), need a doctor's diagnosis. None of us can diagnose on the web. Please take her to a doctor. From your questioning if this is asthma, it sounds (and I hope I am wrong), that you think asthma is a minor disease. It can be fairly minor but it can also be life-threatening. So please take her to a doctor.

From a mom who has had to deal with both breathlessness from asthma and from circulatory problems in my children and myself

I agree, your dd needs to see a doctor.

If they don't find anything physically wrong, it sounds like the way I feel when my anxiety gets bad. You think you're breathing in all the way, but because your muscles get so tight, you really aren't. Using those guided meditation things that help you relax can work wonders.

my son had swelling of that cartilage in his chest...the dr. said it was very common in kids...although none of my other kids had ever experienced it. It is worth asking about. He had pain with deep breaths and lots of pain when the dr.s pressed on that area.

Very possibly allergy-related asthma. It sounds like how my asthma can start off during allergy season, and the past two summers, it has escalated nastily until I've gotten steroid inhalers. Allergy meds help keep it down too.

DS1 had a few episodes like that last summer. He'd stop and take a deep breath or two, though he didn't wheeze or complain that he couldn't breathe. I ended up taking him to the doctor (actually the PA), who didn't find anything wrong, but she did a bunch of bloodwork to rule out anemia (which can also cause shortness of breath) and such. Didn't find anything, and the symptoms largely went away, but then we saw a new doctor, and she thought it sounded like allergies. She sent him to a fantastic allergist who did testing and measured his peak flow. The allergist found some environmental allergies, and he prescribed meds for that and an inhaler as needed for wheezing. So I vote for seeing a doctor, even an allergist if you can.

I agree that you should get her to the doc fairly quickly, because uncontrolled asthma is nothing to play around with. But I also wanted to ask if she's been swimming or otherwise holding her breath a lot this summer (lots of water play, other weird kid games). If my kids have been in the pool for a long stretch, they often complain about how their chests feel the next day. I remember the feeling myself from my childhood.

Also, I wonder if she might have silent reflux, which can make me sometimes feel like I can't inflate my chest fully. It usually happens hours before I feel heartburn in my throat, so she may not be connecting the two.

I hope you can figure it out. It's scary to think your child might be able to breathe :(

Thanks everyone. I will get her in to the dr. (Just fyi, I always planned on taking her in, just wanted to get an idea of what others thought it could be)

I am suspecting allergies or asthma, but admittedly don't know much about either. I didn't think much of it the first few times b/c it was when we were putting her in her carseat and figured she was just being finicky about the seat belt being too tight over her chest or some'n. But now that she complained OUT of the car I am more concerned. To answer a PP, she has not been swimming.

I'll make an appt for her in the AM.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if this could be asthma? Do you think so? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Two things come to mind: asthma. You breathe at higher lung volumes to increase the retraction on the bronchioles, you feel, when you need to take a deeper breath, you can't get air in. (Anxiety can do the same). Or, she has gotten "bruised rib" and is aches a little and she is loath to suck in a deep breath and feels it. If we don't sigh rather frequently, we start to feel suffocated.

HTH

My son had similar issues with difficulty breathing. Turns out he has allergy-related asthma. Usually if he takes his allergy meds he's fine but he has an inhaler in case he needs that. He's only needed that once in the past few months and only because he didn't take his allergy meds. :glare: I'm glad to hear your dd will be seeing the doc about this.

my son had swelling of that cartilage in his chest...the dr. said it was very common in kids...although none of my other kids had ever experienced it. It is worth asking about. He had pain with deep breaths and lots of pain when the dr.s pressed on that area.

To read more, google costochondritis. Very very common in adults, and causes much upset (people think it is a heart attack).

Thanks for your thoughts. We did take her in and the dr. said what you said - either seasonal allergies or upper respiratory virus- which is supposedly going around. Although she felt like she couldn't breathe all the way, her oxygen levels were 99% and lungs completely clear. It was a good excuse to get a referral for an allergist though, which was something I was wanting for other reasons. So yay for that. :)

Both my daughter and I were recently referred to an allergist with suspected asthma with the same symptom - feeling like we couldn't get enough air into our lungs. It turns out that neither of us have asthma but we both have vocal chord disfunction.

Basically, in response to allergens or irritants the vocal chords tighten and restrict air flow. Apparently it is not uncommon and frequently misdiagnosed as or overlooked when presenting with asthma. Unlike asthma, an inhaler doesn't 'fix' it but learning to relax your vocal chords helps immensely. A daily anti-allery medication helps, too.