Menu

I need a good movie

I recently watched the Sherlock Holmes mini series on Netflix and loved it.

I love the show too but don't consider it particularly family friendly--especially the first episode of the second season, which features a dominatrix.

I like a lot of the PBS Masterpiece Agatha Christie shows.

Yeah...I looked up a couple and they weren't suitable. Let me check Agatha Christie. We're looking for adult movies that a kid can watch. And I mean adult as it something that we'd all like to watch....not kiddish. There HAS to be a who-done-it without gay/lesbian themes, and loads of swearing and violence.

I just checked, and Hulu has 82 episodes of Ironside (Raymond Burr.) I remember watching that with my grandfather at about that age, and really enjoying it! I know that isn't a movie, but it's free on Hulu, so I thought I'd mention it. You may also want to check out the old PBS Mystery movies. Poirot has already been mentioned, as has Marple. With the new Masterpiece Mystery series, I think I'd preview the shows before letting my dd (almost 12) watch them. Some had too much adult content/intensity for that age.

I have only read the books (which are charming), but I have heard the series of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency were good. Female detective, too! ;) It is on Netflix and Hulu.

Also, what about the older 1980s-90s Masterpiece Theater Sherlock Holmes series (starring Jeremy Brett)? Or the old B&W Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone? (I totally agree with the previous poster that the new Sherlock! series from BBC is great, but *definitely* for older audiences.) Also, I think the Cadfael series from BBC (as part of the old Mystery! PBS series) would be fine for that age.

Edited by Lori D.

It's an old one, but we enjoyed it - the Canterville Ghost, with Margaret O'Brian. It's done better than the 1980's one.

You also might enjoy Bunny Lake Is Missing, a 1960's story about a woman who dropped her daughter off at a new school and by the time she went to pick her up, every trace of the daughter's existence had disappeared.