Menu

Do you want your DD's to follow in your footsteps???

Do you want your DD's to follow in your footsteps?  

1. 1. Do you want your DD's to follow in your footsteps?

• Yes: I want them to get married, have babies, and homeschool them.
    • No: I hope that they go to college/trade school and do "more" with their lives.
    • Either: I am fine with what ever path they choose.
    • Other:

:blush: Thank you

I voted that of course I'd be pleased with whatever path they choose. But I do think it would be wonderful if they followed in my footsteps. Motherhood is one of the highest callings a person can have and such a blessed life!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted that of course I'd be pleased with whatever path they choose. But I do think it would be wonderful if they followed in my footsteps. Motherhood is one of the highest callings a person can have and such a blessed life!

I think so too...but as I got older...and dh got older....

Then we started getting tired and did I say older?

Then we started seeing high blood pressure and diabetes and bad circulation ....dh has a pretty dangerous and stressful job, and here I am...

I had totally dedicated my entire life to my husband and kids. I love being a stay at home mom. I love homeschooling. I loved having my babies, breastfeeding, teaching them to read and write....watching their sports etc., etc., etc. I had my happy, happy....joy, joy years....

BUT, I began to worry about what if something happens to dh? I never finished my degree...I just have an AAS in accounting. How would I take care of my family? Take care of our house? Take care of our parents, which I have done in the past as my parents passed on and when dh's mom was passing.

How can we ever retire? Dh spent 20 years working his hienie off to put food on the table and a roof on our heads on one income. There is no retirement money. There is no college fund. When the kids were all little, all that seemed so long off and far away. It goes by fast.....really fast!

I embrace my life as a wife and mother, but I do not EVER want my girls to feel desperate or hopeless if something happens to their spouse and he can no longer care financially for her and their children.

So, while I would love my dds and my dss to have family and to be just as dedicated to them as we are to our children, I would also want to see them able to financially support themselves and have an education worthy of keeping them satisfied and fulfilled.

Faithe

Although the model of traditional family with working father and stay at home mother is ideal for those who desire it, it unfortunately leaves the nonworking partner in a bind if the relationship deteriorates, if husband loses job, or if husband becomes disabled. I hope that they always continue to work part time in their fields, so that they can be financially independent if the need arises. Even if a woman has a professional degree and work experience, as time lapses, that experience becomes less and less relevant.

I do not feel strongly about the exact way my dd does things BUT I do feel strongly about her staying home with her babies when she has them (as opposed to putting them in daycare or constant babysitters) and I will gladly watch them if she chooses not to be home with them (and would do the same for my sons and their wives).

In terms of how much face time they get with their kids? It's hard to say. I really hesitate to wish on them an arrangement that leaves them dependent on one other human. Personally I've never been married and my finances are completely independent, but I have a sister who is currently a SAHM because her dd has some special needs. It's hard, and not because of the kids. She feels trapped when her "other half" is up to his antics. What if he crosses the abuse line? What if his alcohol problem leads to job (and health insurance) loss? It's not all flowers and sunshine, that's for sure.

I've never had a sustained period when I've just spent hours upon hours with my kids. So I am not really sure whether that would be a big improvement over what I do now. I don't think I'd like it after a while. But I could be wrong. Honestly, I don't see my daughters wanting to be SAHMs for the long haul, but I could be totally wrong about that too. (If they even decide to be moms at all.)

NOPE! I want my dd's to get their educations, marry someone that is good to them and for them because they are love, not because they had kids with him. I want them to have a stable happy marriage, with the finances to not have to stress constantly if they have to choose between food, power or housing.

I did various jobs after getting my degree, then took my masters, got pregnant, home educated the boys..... Now back in the workplace I can't make that much money. I'm doing clerical work and it's fine, but at my age and in this economic climate retraining for something high paying is just not going to happen.

I think that home educating was exactly what we needed to do. It has left me (and therefore the whole family) with some difficult choices though.

Laura

I do not feel strongly about the exact way my dd does things BUT I do feel strongly about her staying home with her babies when she has them (as opposed to putting them in daycare or constant babysitters) and I will gladly watch them if she chooses not to be home with them (and would do the same for my sons and their wives).

:iagree: I hope my boys and girls either stay home or find flexible jobs that allow them maximum time with their children.

Either, it's their life.

:iagree:

I am a full time working Mom and try very hard to find balance. I am not hesitate to tell my boss that my kids come before my job and my boss respect that. I will like my DD to have her path. Either way I will fully support her.

My mom was a stay home mom and she kept telling me and my sister that we need a career and be independent. I don't think she likes to be home.

I married very young but that didn't stop me from going to college as scheduled. We were married for 5 yrs before dd, which I think was a good amount of time to be just us as a couple. If something happened to dh, I have skills and education to fall back on, so I would be ok.

So, it wouldn't be the worst thing if dd followed suit. However, she may marry later in life or even not at all. She may go to college or she may train into a job or she may proceed straight to mommy. As long as she is fulfilled, doing as she feels God leads her, I'm happy. :001_smile: