Menu

Which H.G. Wells book?...

Thanks!!!

Oh and I finished my list for my 12th grader. Thanks for all of your help with that. I didn't end up paring down - in fact I have more - but I'm happy with the choices and she said the reading volume was fine. I keep forgetting that compared to the last 4 years of Omnibus any list seems short to her.

Heather

So you guys did 4 years of Omni? We only did two (only I and II, since they didn't have the upper levels, but they were plenty for ds). Then I could definitely see your list as doable!!

I do think some books can be really deeply analyzed, and some just read and discussed without a lot of assignments. I was pretty sure ds wasn't going to be taking any lit in college, so we had to go for exposure. It has helped a lot in his film/script writing.

So you guys did 4 years of Omni? We only did two (only I and II, since they didn't have the upper levels, but they were plenty for ds). Then I could definitely see your list as doable!!

I do think some books can be really deeply analyzed, and some just read and discussed without a lot of assignments. I was pretty sure ds wasn't going to be taking any lit in college, so we had to go for exposure. It has helped a lot in his film/script writing.

Yes my oldest did a kind of I/II combo in 8th and then III - V in 9th - 11th. She wanted a more of a true modern history this year and a bit lighter schedule so when her middle sister chose Biblioplan with their Companion guide (she is NOT an Omnibus type kid) she decided to do that as well. Biblioplan plans some literature but she's read some of their recommendations and they leave plenty of room to add more so I'm making those choices now.

Speaking of which - I'm working on my 8th grader's list - would you have an 8th grader read Uncle Tom's Cabin or would you wait until 12th?

Heather

Re UTC, I don't know. We didn't cover that one. I guess it helps me to say, "If we take the time to read this book, what will we miss?" Esp if it's a long book, I might look for something that covers the same thing in a quicker way--but most of the time, we went ahead and just read everything, long or short.

Re UTC, I don't know. We didn't cover that one. I guess it helps me to say, "If we take the time to read this book, what will we miss?" Esp if it's a long book, I might look for something that covers the same thing in a quicker way--but most of the time, we went ahead and just read everything, long or short.

That's kind of how I've been thinking. My 8th grader will hit this time period again in 12th and UTC is definitely appropriate for 12th but some of the other books I'm looking at are a bit light for 12th so it makes more sense to read them now. If this were my oldest, I'd just pile on the books and she's be fine. But my middle is a serious math/science student so she has a lot of work in those subjects and I don't want to completely overwhelm her in every subject.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...