Menu

Dog people, what is wrong with my dog's eye?

I took her to the vet on Monday. She did a stain and ruled out injury. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it sure looks freaky to see her 3rd eyelid do that:

We've been putting antibiotic ointment in it per the vet's instructions. It seems to me to look a little sunken. It's not irritated or goopy looking at all. She is otherwise healthy.

Is there anything my vet could have missed that could cause this? She's a 7.5 year old husky.

Our hound had something that looked like that a couple of years ago -- the vet prescribed drops and told us to begin a daily regimen of making sure his eyes were free of goop - she gave us an eyewash to use.

Two years later we are still doing the eyewash a few times a week -- he needed two rounds of antibiotics to get over the original infection - we weren't sure if he had gotten a twig in his eye or what but he's been fine.

Our hound had something that looked like that a couple of years ago -- the vet prescribed drops and told us to begin a daily regimen of making sure his eyes were free of goop - she gave us an eyewash to use.

Two years later we are still doing the eyewash a few times a week -- he needed two rounds of antibiotics to get over the original infection - we weren't sure if he had gotten a twig in his eye or what but he's been fine.

That's the weird thing. Other than the eyelid looking weird, there is nothing noticeably wrong. No goop, no swelling or irritation. I took her to the vet Monday. The second day after the vet trip, it looked completely normal. The next day and since it's doing this again.

Fortunately, she's a cooperative dog. She'll put up with anything that doesn't hurt. She will whine a bit, but makes no move to get away from me when I put the ointment in.

I wonder if she has poor eyesight in that eye - or loosing sight in it. I hope not and hope she gets better!!

She seems to be able to see okay so far and is able to catch treats out of midair etc. No noticeable effect on her depth perception.

NO idea, if it isn't an injury? How old is she? Could she have had a stroke?

Wow--- poor pup!

astrid

She'll be 8 in November. If she's had a stroke, I haven't noticed any other symptoms.

She has had a seizure twice that we know of. Once when she was about 2, and once this past spring. Both were after she had had a pork-based treat. Our vet says that's a seizure trigger for some dogs, so we make it a point never to give either of them anything pork based.

Poor girl.

Maybe go see a dog ophthamologist?

There is one about an hour from here. If the ointment doesn't do the trick, I'll probably give them a call.

ETA: Quotes are all backwards. I must have done something strange here. :tongue_smilie:

I think it's called Horner's Syndrome. Our cat gets it. It could be caused by swelling from an infection or a tumour pressing on the nerves. Every time our cat gets it he has a round of anti-biotics and after a few weeks it clears up. Takes a while but our cat appears to be very prone to ear infections in his old age.

I think it's called Horner's Syndrome. Our cat gets it. It could be caused by swelling from an infection or a tumour pressing on the nerves. Every time our cat gets it he has a round of anti-biotics and after a few weeks it clears up. Takes a while but our cat appears to be very prone to ear infections in his old age.

Now that looks like it could be it. It really does not look irritated or infected at all. I'm using the antibiotics the vet gave us, but they seem unnecessary.

It does look a tad bit sunken and I wonder if the vet noticed that. It's quite subtle. I might not have noticed it if I wasn't looking at her pretty much all day. :tongue_smilie: