Menu

Diagnosis change...not sure how to feel...help me process

My eldest dd was diagnosed with Asperger's at 10, after having been misdiagnosed with ADHD at about 6.

Recently we did some additional testing (she's 16 now) and the diagnosis today was Autism. I realize that Asperger's is on the spectrum, but the Psychologist was clear that while the parts of the tests that would indicate Asperger's were quite high and would result in that diagnosis, the parts the test that would result in an Autism diagnosis were, while lower than the others, still high enough to warrant a straight Autism diagnosis (high functioning).

I have no idea what I'm supposed to think about that or do with that information.

I honestly don't really know the difference. I'm reading, but isn't Asperger's just a form of high functioning Autism? I can't imagine how the treatment would differ.

What am I supposed to think about this?

I think I read somewhere that the indicators that mark Autism from Asperger's recently changed. Could be that at 10 the markers were truly for Asperger's but under today's standards the diagnosis is different.

Has your dd changed in any significant way? I don't know enough about either one, but my first instinct would be "leave well enough alone."

I think I read somewhere that the indicators that mark Autism from Asperger's recently changed. Could be that at 10 the markers were truly for Asperger's but under today's standards the diagnosis is different.

Has your dd changed in any significant way? I don't know enough about either one, but my first instinct would be "leave well enough alone."

I think you're correct. That sounds pretty much like what she told me. And no, she hasn't really changed. Her strengths are her strengths and her challenges are her challenges, as always. The different label was a little disconcerting to my daughter, though. I just told her that nothing has really changed and it doesn't matter what they call it. We just need it to be correct so she can get the right resources and support.

It just makes me wonder if I should have been doing something differently all these years. You think you're an "expert" and have read every book and article available on one thing, and then suddenly it isn't really Thing 1, it's Thing 1.2........

I think you're correct. That sounds pretty much like what she told me. And no, she hasn't really changed. Her strengths are her strengths and her challenges are her challenges, as always. The different label was a little disconcerting to my daughter, though. I just told her that nothing has really changed and it doesn't matter what they call it. We just need it to be correct so she can get the right resources and support.

It just makes me wonder if I should have been doing something differently all these years. You think you're an "expert" and have read every book and article available on one thing, and then suddenly it isn't really Thing 1, it's Thing 1.2........

Naw, I don't think there is anything you could have done differently. One day the "experts" could change everything back. :grouphug:

My first thoughts were the same as several posted here. Aspie are not nearly as 'recognized' as Autistism. Therefore, I think there would be more help available. Also, with the recent changes in the DSM whatever, it's probably a good thing that her diagnosis has been changed. Or that those changes led to the change in her dignosis. If there's not been any changes in her behavior, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Aspergers has now been subsumed under the label autism — assuming the symptoms are severe enough to qualify. The recent changes to the DSM are very controversial, because they could result in kids with mild Aspie diagnoses no longer qualifying. The change in label does not mean that your DD has gotten "worse" or that you should have been doing things differently. She's still the same kid with the same symptoms, they just changed the label, and the new label will ensure that she still qualifies for services.

ETA: Changes in the DSM

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

The recent changes to the DSM are very controversial, because they'll result in a lot of kids who had Aspie diagnoses no longer qualifying. The change in label does not mean that your DD has gotten "worse" or that you should have been doing things differently. She's still the same kid with the same symptoms, but the new label will ensure that she still qualifies for services.

Jackie

Well, I suppose that could make it a good thing. I know the psychologist told me previously that the diagnostic code for Asperge/rs was being done away with by next year.

What caught my attention, I guess, was just that she made it a point to say that had this been an initial diagnosis, between the two she would have diagnosed Autism and not Asperger's based on the test results (as opposed to being because the diagnostic code is going away anyway).

Funny thing is, after the reading I've been doing today on an Asperger's v. Autism diagnosis, I wouldn't agree. Of course I'm no expert and don't play one on TV, but it seems that some of the clear diagnostic markers for Autism, like language and cognitive delay or regression, simply weren't there for my kid.

At any rate I suppose as long as she gets what she needs in the end it doesn't really matter. I just wasn't expecting it.