Menu

Explode The Code Planning - Please Help!

k2bdeutmeyer

I have ETC books 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, and 8

We'll be using them for kindergarten this year. How much should I be planning to get through this year? I feel lost. Is a lesson a day too much since they're so long or is that about appropriate?

Ahhh....planning is going to make me crazy!

Thanks!

It's unlikely that you'll get to 7 & 8, at least. And possibly unlikely that you'll get to 5 or 6 as well. I also, personally, would not have ordered the half level ones until you were sure you needed them.

But everyone seems to work through ETC a little differently, so maybe? It just seems like many of the things in ETC 7 and 8 would be tough for the average K'er.

It's also been our experience that the pace has changed over time, which, I know, doesn't help your planning. But for us, it has just been a do the next thing curriculum. I think it's hard to predict where you'll end up at the end of K with it.

This is something I actually wouldn't plan. Kids don't learn to read according to our schedules :) I'd just do as much per day as she's able and happy to do. Don't make yourself wonkers with planning. Use it as open-and-go.

When DD was in K we used through book 4 in one year. She tired of them though, so we did not go further than that. I think a lesson a day is pretty easy. Sometimes we skipped pages since there is so much repeat.

See, a lesson a day would have been a HUGE amount of writing for my kids in K. We definitely couldn't have kept that pace.

It's unlikely that you'll get to 7 & 8, at least. And possibly unlikely that you'll get to 5 or 6 as well. I also, personally, would not have ordered the half level ones until you were sure you needed them.

But everyone seems to work through ETC a little differently, so maybe? It just seems like many of the things in ETC 7 and 8 would be tough for the average K'er.

It's also been our experience that the pace has changed over time, which, I know, doesn't help your planning. But for us, it has just been a do the next thing curriculum. I think it's hard to predict where you'll end up at the end of K with it.

We were actually (very graciously) given them (all of the books, that is) by another Hive member :)

Hmm....maybe I should just plan on a lesson a day and adjust as needed.

See, a lesson a day would have been a HUGE amount of writing for my kids in K. We definitely couldn't have kept that pace.

We probably used them differently. For DD it was just easy to do independently. We did not do every page. She is pretty agreable so it kind of worked to just have her pick pages. What I mean is maybe just one of the writing the words, and all of the matching/marking which picture, stuff like that. When we got past the first 2 books though, she definitely was growing tired of them and we did not do it every day.

I never used the half books

Unless your DC already knows how to write well and enjoys it, a lesson a day will get old fast. We did that through book 1. DD enjoyed it at first. By the end, we both were crying. I cut it down to 4/5 pages per day for book 2. We finally dumped it. It was supplemental/review for us and ended up feeling like busywork.

I don't plan out ETC. Nathan finished 1-6 in kindergarten, and James finished 1-3. He's working on 4 now. Molly just started 1 and is doing 3-4 pages per day. I think a lesson per day would be a bit much. If you're really trying to plan it out, and plan on doing it every day, I think 2 lessons per week would be reasonable.

I have books 1, 1.5, and 2 currently.

This year we are doing Grade 1 and just really starting a phonics/reading focus.

What I did for Book 1 and Book 1.5 is go through and put stickies at the top of the workbooks, separating all of the short /a/ pages, short /e/, short /i/, etc. (They are grouped all together in the workbooks, I'm not sure about Book 2+.)

That way, as our phonics program introduces vowels, I can pick and choose which practice page we want to do. Our program starts with short /a/, so I will start with those from both 1 & 1.5...then when a new vowel is introduced, we'll do some of those pages.

At the end, I'll let DD do the leftovers for review or fun/play.

Edited by alisoncooks

I bought the first 3 books to try since OPG bombed for DS. We have been at it for about 2 weeks and are on lesson 4. I don't really plan it, we just get done what we can each day. Usually he's done after about 4 pages. It is a lot of writing for him so sometimes I do the writing and he dictates. It's working much better for us!

I still think a lesson a day is way too much for the majority of 5 yos to really absorb and write. And I really advocate that they write it instead of dictating. That's part of ETC's philosophy - what little of it there is. At a lesson a day... there's about 12-15 lessons per book... you'd be done with the whole thing in well under a single school year. But realistically, most kids won't move through phonics that quickly and really get it and the style of the questions and the tasks in book 8, with the suffixes and so forth, seems too sophisticated for most k'ers to me.

We did 3 pages a day, in addition to Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling and copywork. My son cognitively could have done more ETC each day, but with everything else, 3 pages was the limit if I wanted him to keep his work neat and his best.

You probably won't need the 1/2 levels.

My ds just turned 12 this week so we are remembering.... This was before the publication of OPGTR. I had started reading to him at 2 weeks of age. At 2 1/2 yrs old he begged me to teach him to read and "Do number." I made him wait a little so I could get materials. We started with BOB Books, and Phonics Pathways reading only one or two pages of PP with other lines covered by plain copy paper, only revealing what I wanted him to read. At 4 1/2 yrs old I started him on ETC and only 1 page a day was required. Many days he would want to do 4, 5, or 6 pages. I would have to stop him otherwise the book would be used up before I could afford the next one. He only did the 1 1/2, none of the other 1/2s. I feel this really cemented his grasp on phonics, which in turn become spelling rules.

Good luck and HTH.

We do between 0 and 3 pages a day, depending on the page and the day. It is a supplement to our main program though. That being said, DS has some fine motor issues so we tend to skip the write the word sections or just do them orally or with magnets, since he can not write the letters out for them.

I didn't start this until dd was 6, and we started in book 3, becaus that's where she was at the time. It took us a few months to get through it, and since starting it we've found she has vision issues which is why reading and writing is so excruciating for her. :( She has just started book 4, when we switched to her 2nd grade stuff. I'd put her at a mid 1st grade reading level, starting chapter books. Level 4 is plenty challenging, I can not fathom a 5 year old doing it! We only do front and back of one page per day. It's a lot of writing for her still.

I know I totally shouldn't, but reading these threads makes me feel so awful for my dd being SO far behind. Sigh. :(

We do a lesson a day, but only 3 days a week until they are 6. (If I had my druthers, theyd do nothing but play until 6 or 7, nut they beg to immitate the big kids.) We skip the penmanship practice pages bc we already have a cursive book for that.

We don't do it all in one stretch though.

And most importantly, stop leaving them wanting more.

Never wait until frustration sets in.

I know I totally shouldn't, but reading these threads makes me feel so awful for my dd being SO far behind. Sigh. :(

Um, my 6 yr old doesn't read yet and we're starting Book 1 this year.

Now your DD isn't quite so far behind. :p

Oh cr@p, now *I* feel awful. :eek: :willy_nilly:

I agree with Calming Tea. We had a very laid back K year. We did ETC as she wanted to do it. In addition to the books, we have access to the online version. She worked through book 1 entirely, and through book 2 on the online version. She's reading well for a 6 year old and I have no intention of making reading "work" for her.

Um, my 6 yr old doesn't read yet and we're starting Book 1 this year.

Now your DD isn't quite so far behind. :p

Oh cr@p, now *I* feel awful. :eek: :willy_nilly:

:grouphug: I know both of our dd's are fine. It's just really hard to read these boards some times. :( It makes me feel like I've failed her.

We do 3 pages a day. I have a schedule that I print and tape to the inside of the book that groups the pages by 3's. Each page has an individual checkbox because he doesn't always complete them at one sitting and will lose track of how many he has done. I review his work each day and then I put a sticker in the space beside the 3 pages. Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:

post-9428-13535087193232_thumb.jpg

I would say 2-4 books a year, but it really depends on both your childs mastery and their handwriting.

We purchased books 1-4 plus all the halves :001_huh: lol, when I was planning to do it for DD, she greatly struggles with reading. In the end, because of her handwriting, I decided it was best to have separate programs, otherwise the handwriting would draw the program out longer than she needs it to be.

The halves aren't really needed unless a child sincerely struggles with the concepts and needs more re-inforcement. I more had those there as a backup (as I have to purchase once a year, and from overseas for most of my stuff).

Some children may just get through 2 books, with oral reinforcement, others may complete the 4 book average, and some other children fly through 6. Its really an independant thing.

Can you (if using excel) just combine the 5 days, and write 2-3 Pages a day. Or just asterisk to note to yourself to do those items, then write in how much you did afterwards? I used the asterisk for AAR, I would note the sessions afterwards. If you feel she needs re-forcement on a certain area (after completing it) then dig out the half book, and have her work through that particular concept.

With LA & Math, its a little harder (unless its a constant re-inforcement program) to schedule it out into a master planner. Another option (what I do) is to have a separate sheet with an overview for that particular subject. Write out all lessons that need to be done, then you can just cross them off as you go. It gives you a quick at-a-glance overview at how far you are along, and gives you an idea as you progress, what book you'll end at.

I would say 2-4 books a year, but it really depends on both your childs mastery and their handwriting.

We purchased books 1-4 plus all the halves :001_huh: lol, when I was planning to do it for DD, she greatly struggles with reading. In the end, because of her handwriting, I decided it was best to have separate programs, otherwise the handwriting would draw the program out longer than she needs it to be.

The halves aren't really needed unless a child sincerely struggles with the concepts and needs more re-inforcement. I more had those there as a backup (as I have to purchase once a year, and from overseas for most of my stuff).

Some children may just get through 2 books, with oral reinforcement, others may complete the 4 book average, and some other children fly through 6. Its really an independant thing.

Can you (if using excel) just combine the 5 days, and write 2-3 Pages a day. Or just asterisk to note to yourself to do those items, then write in how much you did afterwards? I used the asterisk for AAR, I would note the sessions afterwards. If you feel she needs re-forcement on a certain area (after completing it) then dig out the half book, and have her work through that particular concept.

With LA & Math, its a little harder (unless its a constant re-inforcement program) to schedule it out into a master planner. Another option (what I do) is to have a separate sheet with an overview for that particular subject. Write out all lessons that need to be done, then you can just cross them off as you go. It gives you a quick at-a-glance overview at how far you are along, and gives you an idea as you progress, what book you'll end at.

I like this idea! Thanks!

This is our K/1 year. Dd is 5.5.

We started with the ETC ABC books at age 4.

The "How much writing? issue for 5yos," is something I don't want to burn dd5 out on. We are also doing Saxon Phonics and PAL Writing (IEW) this year. And yet we want to build hand strength so she will be able to write full sentences and paragraphs when it is appropriate for her to do so.

We are aiming for full and fluid sentences within 12 months from now, with the ability to write/copy paragraphs over the course of several days.

Last year, the plan was for 1p/day. Dd was 4.5 - 5.5.

BUT

--We only did schoolwork on T-R. Dd had preschool MWF mornings, and was really only good for science experiments, games, and art by the afternoon.

--Some days dd5 would do as many as 10 pages of ETC when she was motivated. She can earn tv time by doing schoolwork; and, sadly, tv is a HUGE motivator in our home.

This year, we will start out the year with "at least one page of writing in ETC each day." Dd5 is currently in the 1.5 book, and if you check it out, some pages are writing words, and some are just Xing out a word or circling an answer. So, some days she will do 1 page; and some days she may do 2 or 3.

When dd turns 6 in December, I will move her up to 2p/day.

We've done 2-4 pages a day...I generally only have DS do one page of writing each day. If there are a few pages of "check the box" or "cross out the correct answer" he may do 3-4 pages. He'll be starting book 3 for 2nd grade for all those who feel behind. :blush5: He is way ahead for reading, but the handwriting gets him.

We do 2 pages a day. DS is ahead in reading level from where he is in ETC but I am fine with that because ETC is solidifying his phonics. I think a lesson a day is way too much. By working on the same word family all week, it sticks better IMHO. Plus, I am a believer in short lessons for K. A whole lesson would take at least 30 minutes.