Menu

NEEDED: Advice on Job Opportunities

Presently, I am homeschooling my youngest. She is 14, and ever since I started working in April '12, she has been having difficulty completing her work. Therefore, I have committed to only working part-time. We need the extra income.

I have recently started work as a math instructor for the adult basic ed program at a local community college. This job is approx. 19 hours/week in the morning. I am loving the job and the people I work with. What is also nice about the job is I don't have to take work home. This job is part-time temporary. It's all done within the 19 hours. Plenty of hours, more pay, and less outside commitment.

I also applied for a part-time remedial teaching position for the community college for Spring 2013. This will involve teaching two remedial math classes and will be a total of approximately 8 hours/week. The pay is more per hour, but fewer hours; overall this job will pay less than the ABE job. This job is also part-time temporary. Fewer hours, less pay, greater outside commitment since these are graded college courses.

Both jobs will give me invaluable experience in adult education, a field that I want to pursue once DD has left the nest.

Should I stay with the ABE job OR take the SPR 2013 job if it is offered to me?

Thank you, in advance, for your insight.

Claire in NM

Thank you for your comments. Keeping your comments in mind, I am very much leaning towards keeping the ABE job I currently have. I love the job, I love the people, and I love the hours.

Claire in NM

I'd stick with the current job because of the reasons you listed here.

I'm in a similar boat although I don't have the second job offer. I put up with an hour long commute each way for pretty lousy pay because this job affords me all of the flexibility I need, and I very much like the people and the job.

In a few years, when my youngest is 16, I'll be looking closer to home, and for more $$. I won't need the flexibility.:D