Menu

Limited cupboard space - half empty freezer

I live in an old house for the time being. I'm planning on moving into a cottage within the year. I have limited cupboard space. I also, since going vegetarian, have an half empty freezer. Can I store the following in the freezer:

raw rice

uncooked dry pasta

flour

baking soda

baking powder

uncooked oatmeal, both steel cut and rolled

sugar

dry beans

unsweetened chocolate

Unopened boxes of cereal

corn meal

other grains

Thanks for any input.

If sealed tightly you can store in the freezer:

raw rice

flour

corn meal

other grains

I'm unsure about the other items as I would worry about them absorbing moisture. You could store the chocolate, but it may change the texture.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

I do regularly store grains, flour and cornmeal in the freezer. I wouldn't hesitate to store anything on your list in the freezer.

Thanks. I dropped everything in there and created a bunch of space. I was able to get the canned goods I was storing on the back stairs into the cupboard and off the stairs.

I live in an old house for the time being. I'm planning on moving into a cottage within the year. I have limited cupboard space. I also, since going vegetarian, have an half empty freezer. Can I store the following in the freezer:

raw rice

uncooked dry pasta

flour

baking soda

baking powder

sugar

dry beans

unsweetened chocolate

Unopened boxes of cereal

corn meal

other grains

Thanks for any input.

I regularly store everything but the bolded in the freezer. I've never had any problem whatsoever. What a great idea, though. It never occurred to me to do it as a space saver. I, too, have very little cupboard space but I do have a deep freeze in the basement.

The only thing on your list that I haven't put in the freezer is sugar and I just haven't decided if I will end up with a 25 lb. giant sugar cube. If you could, please let us know how it goes.

I went and shook it a bit ago and it was still in crystal form not cubed. :D I'll check it tomorrow and report back.

I store sugar in the freezer. I have giant plastic ice cream containers from a restaurant and I cleaned them up and store my white sugar in them. Moisture doesn't get in and I don't end up with a giant sugar cube. I use the same containers for my flours.

Good to know.

I store sugar in the freezer. I have giant plastic ice cream containers from a restaurant and I cleaned them up and store my white sugar in them. Moisture doesn't get in and I don't end up with a giant sugar cube. I use the same containers for my flours.

I went and shook it a bit ago and it was still in crystal form not cubed. :D I'll check it tomorrow and report back.

Thank you. I see a bucket (or two) of sugar headed to my freezer tomorrow. :)