Menu

Back to school purchases

lexi

How do you make the start of a new school year special? Do you have specific traditions or things you buy for each child? Any special book or supply purchases?

I want to mark the start of our year in a special way after all the moving we've done this summer. I'm looking for ideas. Anything helps! Links to blog posts or pinterest pins about starting the new year or special purchases would be great.

I need traditions and some fun purchase lists!!!

I let my children pick out new spiral notebooks with pictures and we get new crayons and stuff like that. This year I plan on making themed bags for our science and history class. The bags will have some of the stuff we need for extra activities and just some fun stuff (we are doing astronomy so I am going to get them some binoculars and star charts and things like that).

How about a Kindercone? http://www.kindercone.com/ You could make something like it.

That's a cute idea!

There is another thread similar to this one, and someone mentioned they decorate their room with balloons and streamers. I can't rememeber who it was, but I thought I might try that this year. And of course, I'll be getting all new supplies for them (which I cannot wait to buy! lol) and I'll wrap them up for them to open :D

ETA: There was also this mentioned in that other thread...such a cute idea!

Edited by Shawndrese

I'm boring. I just let my boys pick out new Mario folders to hold their completed math sheets and generally don't make a big deal about the first day of school ... maybe I should!

When school ended in June, I bought them the Helm's Deep Lord of the Rings LEGO set. Maybe I'm not as boring as I think ...? :)

I buy all the new crayons and markers and stuff but we also do notebooks with them that have a sheet in the cover that says All About Me with different things to fill in that they can look back on later and see how the things have changed.:001_smile:

I do a kindercone (a Schultulte) for dd when she homeschools. It's really just for K'ers, but I still do it. I fill it with new school supplies and some little extras. I just use a rolled piece of posterboard with stickers and tissue paper.

This year, I bought some fun notebook paper and a little notebook from Target that you use a special pen with--the paper is treated, so it makes the writing/drawing show up in all different colors. Just for fun--probably too distracting for real notetaking.

The Kindercone is a cute idea. I also had the idea of buying each of them a locker style crate and wrapping up some of the books etc and having them open them in the morning. I also thought I would let them make their names out of glitter glue and decorate their box, and we would spend the first morning going over our routine for the year.

We organize his desk with new supplies a few days before. Then the first day we have a special breakfast together (probably waffles this year) and start our day. I always draw a welcome sign with his grade on the whiteboard too. The first day is a lot of reading together and getting to know his books. I try to keep it relaxed and fun. We take a trip to the park in the afternoon.

We usually start on a Monday, but I think we'll wait until Wednesday this year. The Monday I was planning, as well as that Tuesday, have too much going on. I don't like starting our year in high speed.