Menu

Latin or Spanish

mommyoftwo

Just when you think you have it all figured out you start second guessing yourself. My children will be entering 7th grade and 6th grade. They have each completed 2 years of Latin (Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I).

If I have them do two more years of Latin, the 7th grader would be ready to do 2 years of Spanish in his 9th and 10th grade years. However, Latin wouldn't show on his transcript. I'm not as concerned for him as I am for the child who is in 6th grade now who has 3 more years before high school to start earning language credits. She potentially wants to enter the medical field so maybe she should only do Latin (might look better on her transcript).

I had planned on doing Memoria Press' First Form through Fourth Form Latin program. It would take four years though which would leave my eldest his 11th, 12th grade years to take Spanish but by then he may not want to take a language in his senior year? So now I'm considering Henle Latin and debating as to how far to stretch it out.

Any suggestions? I would like for them to get recognition for doing Latin but also see the benefits of learning Spanish.

Thanks,

Melissa

Homeschoolers can take the National Latin Exam-it just requires having someone other than the student's Latin teacher/parent proctor the exam-but it can be a neighbor, family friend, parent of another homeschooled student. 6th graders can take the Exploratory Latin Exam, but might be better off with the introductory or Latin I level of the NLE simply because more people take it and it's better known.

http://www.nle.org/homeschoolers2.pdf

http://www.etclassics.org/pages/the-exploratory-latin-exam