Menu

Bringing BILLY bookcase home

I want to get one of these from IKEA. The box is pretty long. Either we tie it to the roofrack of our minivan and bring it home on our way from somewhere or DH makes a special trip and we take the children's car seats out, put the back seat down and put it on the inside of the minivan.

DH thinks it might fall off the roofrack. We have to drive 20 minutes on the highway. What did you do to bring yours home? Do you think we could tie it safely to the roof?

We're also looking at the Billy. Any comments on its long term suitability would be great!

Some of mine are older than my middle dd and she is 14. We bought them while we were in Germany. We moved ourselves while in Germany, moved to North Carolina, moved to Hawaii and back to North Carolina. They are still going strong.

Some of mine are older than my middle dd and she is 14. We bought them while we were in Germany. We moved ourselves while in Germany, moved to North Carolina, moved to Hawaii and back to North Carolina. They are still going strong.

Same here! We have 6 Billy bookcases, most of which are about 12 years old — originally bought in the UK, moved to France, moved back to the UK, moved to the States, moved to another house. They're still going strong, despite having been taken apart and reassembled so many times (DH's least favorite part of moving house!). They are soooo overloaded with books it's crazy and the shelves just barely bow under the weight.

Jackie

We have done Ikea delivery. It’s a flatrate so if you are getting enough stuff it it worth it. We’ve sometimes told other families we are going, gotten a bunch of stuff delivered to our place and split the delivery cost.

We’ve always been happy with delivery and never had any issues.

I want to get one of these from IKEA. The box is pretty long. Either we tie it to the roofrack of our minivan and bring it home on our way from somewhere or DH makes a special trip and we take the children's car seats out, put the back seat down and put it on the inside of the minivan.

DH thinks it might fall off the roofrack. We have to drive 20 minutes on the highway. What did you do to bring yours home? Do you think we could tie it safely to the roof?

We've driven long distances (like 2 hours or more) with IKEA stuff strapped to the roof, without any problem. You just need to tie them on really well.

The boxes are long but quite skinny — is there a way you can slip them into the minivan and still have room for the kids? With the Odyssey, for example, the 3rd row is a split 2/1 seat, so if we put the larger seat down and take out the middle console of the 2nd row (which we never use anyway), then you can slide long boxes in the back and between the 2nd row seats, and still have room for 3 kids (2 in the 2nd row, 1 in the back). You can also put down the smaller 3rd row seat and take out the left 2nd row seat and then there's tons of cargo space, and still enough room for 3 kids (1 in the 2nd row, 2 in the 3rd row). I don't know if that exact combination would apply to your particular model, but maybe you can find a way to configure your seats and still have room for the kids?

Jackie

We folded the minivan seats down and put in the bookcases. Dh and I made a special IKEA trip together :001_wub: without the kids.

I love the Billy bookcases. Some of ours have partial doors so I can store non-book cluttery-looking stuff, and others have glass doors to cut down on dust. The bookcases are very sturdy and look great.

Ours fit inside our minivan with the seat down. We have one that is about 7 years old. It has been repaired, the holes that hold the shelves broke, so it can't be adjusted to those holes anymore. I was pretty aggravated when it happened...until I found out dd had been using it as a ladder to get into the upper bunk. So, they don't hold up to being climbed on repeatedly, ;) but they do well with books.