Menu

The Olympics are here! Your favorite sports, your "I can't believe that's a sport"

Favorites:

Swimming

Synchro - how is that these women do not drown? Are they Navy seals first?

Diving - THESE PEOPLE ARE INSANE!!!! It's like a big wreck on the freeway, it's hard not to stare. :D

Pole Vaulting - another, are you nuts???? sport...every time those poles do the bendy thing all I envision is someone falling on the wrong side of that pole, hitting the ground, and getting a broken neck.

Gymnastics - However, I don't like the level of death-defying crazy the athletes have had to take this sport to in order to get a marginally decent score. I'd like to smack the judges with something heavy.

Rowing - always impressed with rowing. I wonder if ratings would go up if the men's teams competed in kilts? :biggrinjester:

Soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer.....oh the soccer.

:001_huh: sports - Race walking. I just can't watch race walking. It reminds me of those horrible end of school year field days in elementary school.

Trampolining - Not into that at all.

Fencing - just can't get excited about watching that...now maybe if they introduced real swords back to the sport! ;)

Shooting - I live in rural America with hunters everywhere. Somehow, this just doesn't feel like a sport. If they introduce fishing, I'm going to get really ticked though my dad maintains that the search for brook trout is grueling. :glare:

Marathons - not enough action...I admire the people running them, I just don't want to watch.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
sp?

Diving is incredible, but I can't watch without remembering that athlete who smacked his head (Greg Luganos ?). It stresses me out to watch.

Gymnastics, of course is a can't miss.

Ping pong? Not a sport to me. DH said this was in the olympics, but I didn't quite believe him. Really?

I love it all...there's nothing that I won't watch.

Seriously...last time, we watched all of both the men's and women's marathons. The whole thing, not just once, but twice. I love the Olympics!

My very favorites, though, are gymnastics, swimming, and diving.

Some of the athletics events are a bit puzzling to me, though. Shot put? I mean, I know that I could never do it, but really? Throwing a big rock is an Olympic event? I still love it, though! ;)

My favorites:

Gymnastics (I remember watching Olga Korbut!)

Swimming

Diving (I miss the absolute perfection of Greg Louganis)

Track and Field - every event but shot put. Don't know why, but I just don't like shot put. They all remind me of Curly from The Three Stooges.

Volleyball (the real stuff, not the beach volleyball that gets all the attention for the butt cheeks hanging out)

Stuff I don't like

Men's Basketball - Ever since they let the pros in, it has become a huge ego contest. I miss when it used to be amateurs - like the best college players in the country.

Shot put

Beach Volleyball - too much hype and I get itchy thinking about the sand inside the swimsuits.

I like to watch swimming, track, and diving. I like gymnastics, but the scoring and the commentators drive me nuts! Oh the beam is 4 inches wide? Maybe you should repeat that fact 983 times in the next hour. Also what is called dance for the floor routines makes me wonder why the women can't do what the men do.

Ping pong is cool to see for a few minutes. Weight lifting scares me!

Rhythmic gymnastsics is one of those :001_huh: sports for me?

Honestly, I've never been into the Summer Olympics. Winter now...that's cool.

Hockey, down hill skiing, luge, bobsled...all those can be deadly.

It's not a sport if it can't kill you.

*runs*

Snicker, snicker, snicker....I understand and yes, I'm more into the winter sports than the summer sports...again, Snowboarding in a kilt...I'm pretty certain ticket sales would go through the roof and every hiver would be GLUED to the T.V.!:D

Faith

*runs*

:lol: Yep! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's a sport. That's what my family used to say when we were kids anyway. I can appreciate the technique that goes into some things like fencing though, even though I'd rather not spend my time watching it. Just not thrilling enough without real swords. :D

*runs*

I've long been a proponent of full-contact figure skating. Now *that* would be something worth seeing.

My favorites:

*swimming

*gymnastics

*equestrian events (particularly show jumping)

*soccer

Because of DH, I'm more into archery and tae-kwon-do than I was before. (Koreans dominate in those sports, so we tune in just to cheer them on even though I'm not really into the sports themselves.)

My :001_huh: sports:

*rhythmic gymnastics

*water polo

*table tennis

*synchronized swimming

But really, I'll watch anything. I love the olympics! :D

Rhythmic gymnastsics is one of those :001_huh: sports for me?

Yeah thats pretty but meh...I don't get the sporty aspect of it. Trampolining is fun and you can definitely injure yourself if you land wrong...I like pretty much watching anything-track and field, swimming, diving, gymnastics....

I love almost all the events, not so much the team sports like basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc.

Gymnastics is probably still my favorite, but I hate that women's floor has turned into dance with some acro instead of real routines like they used to do. And I don't understand the scoring at all, but I don't really care; I just like to watch the routines.

My kids started TKD classes last year, so we'll probably try to watch that this year as well.

I definitely prefer the winter Olympics also. Just makes for better viewing I guess. All that danger... :D

We will be watching anything we can catch. DD has been quite impatiently waiting. "Mommy... how many days until the Olympics? How many hours is that?" Every single day..... :glare:

But my favorites are:

Soccer (Yay soccer!!! :party:)

Diving

Soccer

Trampoline

Soccer

Swimming

Soccer

Gymnastics

Soccer

Shooting

oh, and did I mention, Soccer? :D

I've long been a proponent of full-contact figure skating. Now *that* would be something worth seeing.

I'd watch that! Or, if in pairs, he let her go when swinging her around by her skates...Be like shotput, but more exciting :D

oh! Could make swimming more exciting...a few pirranahs, a great white...

I'd watch that! Or, if in pairs, he let her go when swinging her around by her skates...Be like shotput, but more exciting :D

oh! Could make swimming more exciting...a few pirranahs, a great white...

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:Wanna bet those World Records would get beat by EVERY swimmer if you introduce the Great White!

:D Faith

:lol: More like hammer throw - is that still in the olympics? I had a roommate in college who was a hammer thrower.

:lol: More like hammer throw - is that still in the olympics? I had a roommate in college who was a hammer thrower.

Don't know if it is still included, but the way my oldest two have been snarking at each other all day, I think I could become the world champ in a matter of minutes! ;)

Faith

Synchronized Swimming - I CANNOT watch this without thinking of the movie Caddyshack. :lol:

Heh. My first thought is usually of that old SNL sketch about Men's Synchro. "We dig...a hole! We dig...a hole!"

I especially like the track events and show jumping. And I actually love rhythmic gymnastics (though I almost never get to see any, as most people seem to find it pretty feeble).

Imp, does curling count as potentially lethal? They are generally older guys walking around on a very slippery surface, after all. And those rocks are pretty heavy... *end unsubtle curling propaganda*

we had an exchange student when I was in high school - from Norway. We asked him if he played a sport. He said, "Yes, badminton." Of course we all laughed and thought that was hilarious.

Later in gym we actually played some badminton and discovered that when people see it as a sport, it IS a sport, and he ruled the school badminton court.

Favorites:

Track and field, all events (LOVE). We're really looking forward to cheering for Ashton Eaton in the decathalon. He's from our hometown, and my boys wanted to get his autograph during the Olympic Trials but they missed him.

Swimming

Gymnastics, men's and women's

Diving

We enjoy all of the Olympic events. We can't watch them all, even if they were all covered, but we try to watch as much as possible.

Cat

I like most events. The one that really leaves me laughing in disbelief is dressage. The choreographed horse dancing with music is just funny and bizarre to me.

:iagree::iagree: I had forgotten about that!! I'm also not a big fan of the rhythmic gymnastics or water polo. :D Other than that, we'll watch about anything that is interesting enough to hold our attention. ;) We like action.

It's been awhile since we watched a whole lot of the Olympics, but I've always loved them. I like swimming, gymnastics, and track and field. DH and I both like diving, and he likes tennis.

I showed the kids some of the mens gymnastics stuff the other night and they were in awe. :lol: They'd never seen any before. We watched some of the qualifying on the trampoline, too, and they thought that was awesome.

I've never really watched much else. I'm kind of curious about the equestrian stuff, because Pink loves horses and she'd probably just stand there pointing at the screen and shrieking in excitement about the horse repeatedly. :lol:

Isn't that hockey?

I love the Olympics. I enjoy it all. Even the crazy stuff. I love that people have worked that hard at something and compete. I can't wait.

Isn't that hockey?
Different skates, different styles, and only one utilizes protective equipment. I think of full-contact figure skating as something more akin to martial arts.

Imp, does curling count as potentially lethal? They are generally older guys walking around on a very slippery surface, after all. And those rocks are pretty heavy... *end unsubtle curling propaganda*

Hey-- Dh and I are curlers! Yes, it could be lethal! ;) That 9th end (the after draw drink at the bar) can be killer!

Honestly-- we really do curl. There are kilts involved-- the teams are usually piped out onto the ice before the final round of a bonspiel, right before the ceremonial shot of Drambuie. Here's a pic of Ray in this incredibly dangerous sport-- the super-dangerous crouching in one place, skipping (directing the shot.) :D

rayskip1.jpg

astrid

Hey-- Dh and I are curlers! Yes, it could be lethal! ;) That 9th end (the after draw drink at the bar) can be killer!

Honestly-- we really do curl. There are kilts involved-- the teams are usually piped out onto the ice before the final round of a bonspiel, right before the ceremonial shot of Drambuie. Here's a pic of Ray in this incredibly dangerous sport-- the super-dangerous crouching in one place, skipping (directing the shot.) :D

I knew it! Actually, one guy did wipe out during the warmups at the Vancouver games...I think he was on Team China. He didn't seem to be hurt, but his head smacked the surface hard enough that I could hear it from several rows away.

I knew it! Actually, one guy did wipe out during the warmups at the Vancouver games...I think he was on Team China. He didn't seem to be hurt, but his head smacked the surface hard enough that I could hear it from several rows away.

Shudder!!! Yeah, there kind of is the element of danger there, because you get so wrapped up in the strategy of the game it's easy to forget you're on ice and with a teflon sole on one shoe.... down you can go in an instant.

astrid

I love almost all the events, not so much the team sports like basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc.

Gymnastics is probably still my favorite, but I hate that women's floor has turned into dance with some acro instead of real routines like they used to do. And I don't understand the scoring at all, but I don't really care; I just like to watch the routines.

My kids started TKD classes last year, so we'll probably try to watch that this year as well.

Hmmm?? What I see are supremely acrobatic routines with sorry attempts at dance in between. Go back 20 or even 30 years - now those were beautifully choreographed routines.

Hmmm?? What I see are supremely acrobatic routines with sorry attempts at dance in between. Go back 20 or even 30 years - now those were beautifully choreographed routines.

Yes! They pause to do some weird, jerky arm and leg movements before running into another set of jumps and flips.

*runs*

Hey, the equestrian sports definitely qualify as deadly! :D those eventers have, uh, pairs of exceedingly large spherical appendages. Not only are those jumps terrifying, they're completing those courses on 1,200-pound beasts with minds of their own. Definitely puts the little hunter courses I compete over into perspective...lol

Favorites:

Track and field, all events (LOVE). We're really looking forward to cheering for Ashton Eaton in the decathalon. He's from our hometown, and my boys wanted to get his autograph during the Olympic Trials but they missed him.

Yes! Go Ashton! I loved seeing him set the world record at the trials! He is as fine a person as he is an athlete. We're cheering for lots of hometown track stars from the U of O and Eugene. We grew up without a TV but always rented one for the Olympics, so this time is really special. We're excited to watch the opening ceremonies tonight and then catch as much track and gymnastics as we can. Being at the Track and Field Olympic Trials was so exciting and emotional - I can't imagine being at the actual Olympics!

Equestrian events are my favorite, of course, but otherwise I mainly like the more obscure sports that are rarely shown on TV - esp prime time. We all love canoeing and kayak, archery, fencing, badminton, table tennis, diving, trampoline, soccer, and hubby loves sailing.

We'll watch many of the others, but they aren't our preferences.

I'll turn it off for boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, basketball, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, tennis, and weightlifting. Those may be sports, but I find them way to boring to even watch.