Menu

Ways to Save $$$ on Cable????

As we all know, the economy is in the toilet. :001_unsure:

We have a cable bill with Comcast that runs about $130 a month. Mind you, we cut out the home phone about 5 years ago since we use our cells for everything(thinking of cutting them too-another post lol)so this bill is for internet and television. I love shows on HBO, Starz, and Showtime so we have them in there but I always call each year and threaten to cancel service unless they rework our program so right now we pay $6 per channel for those three listed above.

I have been researching cutting the TV part of Comcast and keeping just the internet which would drop the bill to about $40 a month. For TV I was thinking of doing something like ROKU, Apple TV, or Netflix. Now I realize we would need to be patient since tv series we like to watch wouldn't be available right away, heck maybe not for months but...

Opinions? Anyone have any of the systems I mentioned above and your thoughts on them????

My family cut cable 6 years ago. We can still watch DVDs and Netflix, but we spend far less time in front of the tv and are happier for it. If you are contemplating dumping your only phone service, getting rid of cable first would be a no brainer.

We cut cable for a year and my kids landed watching just as much television. They watched on the Roku, Netflix, bought shows on iTunes and amazon.com and watched endlessly on Hulu.

I missed having the local news so much that I put cable back in. I hate opening the bill every month but I have not gotten to the point where I am going to pull the plug on cable again.

We have Comcast too. We cut back to internet and only basic cable which runs us about $66 a month. We use Netflix streaming, and honestly, I really don't miss the extra tv. You get used to it and find other things to do. I'm glad we have the basic cable for things like the Olympics and once in awhile dh will watch a ball game, news etc. That's enough for us.

We've never had cable, but we have free TV (ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.). We have Netflix thru the Wii.

I love HGTV, but only watch it when I'm dog walking, if the person has it on while I'm visiting the dog. It's just not something I want to pay so much for.

Think of what you could do with all that money you'd save! My goodness, in 3 years you could have over $3200! You could go on a fab trip! You could buy new laptops! You could...

You see where I'm going. :D

We cut out our satellite 2 years ago and have never looked back. I love my Roku box and we stream Netflix, Amazon Prime movies/shows and many other channels that come with having Roku like cooking channels and channels from other countries. My kids have not miss having satellite at all. If you like the "current" TV shows, Hulu Plus is a good options to subscribe to thru Roku.

HTH.

Julia

We don't have cable and between Amazon Prime and Hulu (we don't even do Hulu plus), I get enough cable content. I'm sure I miss some things, but I save a lot of money.

We've thought of adding netflix, but until I run out of stuff on Amazon and hulu, I don'g thing we will.

I've caught up on old shows as well as watching new one. They add new content all the time.

And really how much tv does one need?

OK, some great suggestions. As I mentioned, I love the cooking channels, hubby and I both love the local news, and the kids love Disney and Nick. I could go without the HBO, Starz, and Showtime because I know the shows we watch like The Borgias, Spartacus, etc...(yes my sinful vices)will eventually be available on DVD.

We had Netflix years ago through our Wii and they are always sending emails to come back. Just really trying to determine if that would be the best way to go or if making a purchase for a ROKU unit would be better and offer more. And I am guessing for two tv's we would need two units???

I'd highly recommend signing up for the free month on Netflix so you can try it out. It's every easy to cancel. Personally, I think it's going to come down to just how attached to the TV you are. We've had free cable for years (long story), but that is about to end, so we've decided to not pay for it but just go without. For us, this isn't that hard because while we like a lot of things on TV, we haven't found it hard to switch to watching something else. I have friends, however, who really go crazy when having to find something else to watch, so this doesn't work so well for them.

Ultimately, I'll always pay for internet, but TV seems a waste of money since so much of it is stuff we don't want to watch.

ETA: I did think of one thing, too - depending on how you use the TV, switching to the internet might not work quite as well. It's really different to have to search purposefully for something watch versus just turning on the TV to see what's on. You wouldn't think it's that different, but it really is.

That is exactly what we did. We dropped Cable, and got a Roku box. We stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon. Mostly we use Netflix and Hulu Plus. Hulu Plus has most cable shows the next day, or a week later at the most. But...you will have to wait for DVD's of the stuff on HBO, Showtime, etc. But will probably discover new favorite things to watch in the meantime. I haven't regretted it at all.

Get rid of it...you'll miss it at first, but then you won't because you'll find other things to fill your time. Our kids don't have to have the latest and greatest because they aren't bombarded with it everyday on TV. We are just find with netflix and hulu when we want to watch something. And we don't feel that incessant need to 'have to watch my show tonight'...it's so stress free not to have it, lol. :D

The only thing that is missed by hubby is sports, but he keeps up online or the guys get together to watch like they did anyways, lol. I just always send extra treats for them since we can't reciprocate here (which is fine by me because then I don't have to deal with cleanup and all the noise, lol) :tongue_smilie:

The only thing that is missed by hubby is sports, but he keeps up online or the guys get together to watch like they did anyways, lol. I just always send extra treats for them since we can't reciprocate here (which is fine by me because then I don't have to deal with cleanup and all the noise, lol) :tongue_smilie:

The sports are why dh will not go for giving up cable. And really, it's only pro football. He says "no way"...

We dropped DishNetwork last year when Mr. Ellie was laid off. We had been planning to do that though: Mr. Ellie had already bought a computer that was dedicated to the TV. We signed up for NetFlix (one DVD at a time, streaming) and have lived happily ever after. :)

Now that all our favorite TV shows are being released on DVD, I'm thinking I might switch to two DVDs at a time.

Mr. Ellie has found some shows on the Internet that aren't available from NetFlix, such as Primeval (I think that might be now, but when I was streaming it on NetFlix, the last couple of seasons were not available). He also found Earth:Final Conflict; NetFlix used to have only the first season, and I want to know what happened after the original human guy left. :-)

A couple of months ago Mr. Ellie put up an antenna, and now we get *3* PBS stations as well as the three major networks.

I don't think I'll ever go back to cable or satellite. Watching my favorite TV shows with no commercial breaks (and no fast-forwarding through commercials) has spoiled me. :D

We keep cable as our entertainment budget. We really don't go to the movies much or eat ourt, so we keep it. Dh has had health issues and cable has been all he could do for a long time, a form of passive entertainment. We discussed dropping to basic cable which would save 20.00/month, but we'd just spend that on Netflix (which we did drop) or buying movies.

We've cut out so much other stuff. If it were up to me, we'd get rid of it, but dh likes it.

We gave up TV and cable 10 years ago. You miss it for a few months, but then life goes on. We didn't even have netflix or hulu etc, lol.

In all that time, we haven't ever had a problem where we couldn't figure out what was going on. We stream election night returns and even the ball dropping on New Year's Eve.

We pay for Netflix with one DVD. Honestly, we hardly use the one dvd, but it is nice to have when we want it. We don't pay for hulu plus because we don't use it enough. I don't think my kids have ever seen Hulu, and I haven't used it in at least 3 months. It could be longer.

We don't have a family TV. It just isn't something we want or value. We own two laptops and we watch stuff on that. Mostly, it is the kids who watch stuff. They pretty much only stream on Netflix. They don't use the computers except for that.

There is a PBS channel called "Create."

They plan similar things to HGTV and we get it for free with an antenna.

http://www.createtv.com/

We watch this.

Then we have Roku boxes on each TV to stream Netflix and Hulu+ ($16 total per month.)

Dawn

OK, some great suggestions. As I mentioned, I love the cooking channels, hubby and I both love the local news, and the kids love Disney and Nick. I could go without the HBO, Starz, and Showtime because I know the shows we watch like The Borgias, Spartacus, etc...(yes my sinful vices)will eventually be available on DVD.

We had Netflix years ago through our Wii and they are always sending emails to come back. Just really trying to determine if that would be the best way to go or if making a purchase for a ROKU unit would be better and offer more. And I am guessing for two tv's we would need two units???

We've never had cable, but we have free TV (ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.). We have Netflix thru the Wii.

I love HGTV, but only watch it when I'm dog walking, if the person has it on while I'm visiting the dog. It's just not something I want to pay so much for.

Think of what you could do with all that money you'd save! My goodness, in 3 years you could have over $3200! You could go on a fab trip! You could buy new laptops! You could...

You see where I'm going. :D

:iagree:

We have the most expensive ones, $99

We have 1080p TVs and want the highest quality streaming. I believe the higher ones also are the only ones that allow for instant rewind/playback. The $99 ones also allow for a USB jump drive if you wish to watch content other than streaming......so you can watch your vacation videos or a movie downloaded, etc.....

I also figured that since we were ditching Satellite at $100/mo, we could afford an extra $30-$40 for the device itself.

The newest version highest model also allows for gaming and a free download of Angry Birds.

Dawn

Dawn-

Which ROKU box do you have and why did you choose that particular one?

cut cable altogether. We had none for about 3 years, got it back for a couple months before moving and have not had it since, now just over 2 years. The vast majority of shows can be found online for free. Keep your net, cut the cable and save a ton of money

cut cable altogether. We had none for about 3 years, got it back for a couple months before moving and have not had it since, now just over 2 years. The vast majority of shows can be found online for free. Keep your net, cut the cable and save a ton of money

We just cut cable this week. We have internet and netflix still. So far, no one is upset....actually, it's rather nice in our house. Quiet!

We do super basic cable and internet through comcast, which comes to $55 a month. We also do netflix streaming and hulu for $17 a month together. So that's $72 (including internet). After the olympics, I think we may drop the basic cable all together. I think we watch something live maybe every other week.

We cut TV entirely 9 years ago. Once you adjust to not having it, chances are you will not particularly miss it.

:iagree:The only things my kids miss are YTV and treehouse (both kids channels here in Canada, treehouse is for preschool and under, YTV is for schoolagers). WHen they go to gramma's they watch those. They made many comments in teh couple months that we had tv how stupid the shows on were. No one cared when we didn't set it up in this house.

Most of the shows they like I can get on dvds from the library so we just borrow lots of shows for them to watch when they want.

OK so I just signed up again for Netflix for the free month and got it through our Wii via our Wifi connection. I also saw in the Wii Channel Store that we could get Hulu so I added that but will go in later and see what it is like and whether I will want to pay for Hulu Plus or not. Regardless, having Netflix at $8 a month is cheaper than the TV part of our Comcast bill each month and the savings would be awesome. I can honestly say that once school starts for us on Aug. 6th, the kids won't be watching as much TV anyway. Hubby I think will miss the morning local news the most but I am sure we can work around that some how. I also believe the TV we have in our bedroom that my mom left when we moved into her house and she moved out of state is internet capable and such so once I find the booklet, which I saw back in the fall lol....

My SIL hasn't had TV/Cable for years and loves it. They borrow from the library and from my inlaws who are always buying the newest DVD releases. They do have internet and watch news and sports on that.

I will give all this a try and see what I think. I am thinking though, and ROKU users correct me if I am wrong, but with my Wii and Netflix and HULU, having a ROKU is really pointless????

We just tried this and it didn't work out for us. I don't think it was because we couldn't find enough things to watch form other resources, it was more that we didn't really save any money so the effort to find shows online or through the library wasn't worth it in our opinion. Our cable is bundled with our internet and phone and we don't have any special channels or HD. By cutting our cable, even after looking at switching to another company and shopping around, we only saved $15 a month. By the time we added up the extra things we were renting and the possibility of Netflix or HULU plus it just wasn't worth it. I also really missed vegging out in front of mindless programming when I was sick last weekend. Like a PP said I think HOW you watch TV really matters here. Do you only watch a couple of specific shows or do you like to turn it on sometimes and watch whatever is on? Have you thought about just downgrading to basic cable and watching your shows when they come out on DVD like you're thinking of doing anyways?

ETA: I also really missed local news. I know there is a way to get this through an antennae, but our signals here are terrible and it doesn't work for most people. I felt really disconnected, especially when a friend had to call me to let me know that there was a very large storm moving in. If she hadn't thought to call I would have never known to expect such highwinds and to secure things outside. Maybe if I switched to listening to the radio a lot more?

Edited by ksr5377

ETA: I also really missed local news. I know there is a way to get this through an antennae, but our signals here are terrible and it doesn't work for most people. I felt really disconnected, especially when a friend had to call me to let me know that there was a very large storm moving in. If she hadn't thought to call I would have never known to expect such highwinds and to secure things outside. Maybe if I switched to listening to the radio a lot more?

YES, I agree the local news is a hard thing to live without I would imagine. As I have stated before, hubby would miss it in the a.m. as he gets ready for work and then in evening again when he gets home. I of course can view it during the day online.

As for my TV usage, I really only watch it when I get the urge to veg out on Food Network or the Cooking Channel but I can pull up episodes I believe online. We(hubby and I)the dirty raunch shows I mentioned in a previous post like The Borgias, Nurse Jackie, Spartacus, etc... only on the premium channels but I do believe we will live without them or at least with having to wait a few weeks or months to rent them on DVD.

We cut cable about 3 years ago when we moved. Our bill with Comcast was @$150 a month. We now use Netflix, Hulu, iTunes and we rent new movies through Vudu. Remember, you can't watch HBO online unless you are a subscriber. YouTube has recently started adding movies too.

We live in a valley so an antenna is worthless. However, I know a family a few minutes away who gets about 8-10 channels with an antenna that receives digital. There are a lot of digital antennas at Target or Walmart but I think it depends on where you live how many channels you can pick up.

I like Netflix because they have a lot of documentaries which Hulu doesn't have. Really great for supplementing school work.

Edited by emredhead76

We are actually contemplating getting our cable back. We have had Netflix instant streaming alone with a Roku device for a few years now. We are running out of things that we want to watch. We tend to watch mostly discovery channel type programming and not too many movies or series TV. There are only so many times we can watch the same Mythbusters episodes over and over again. We don't do much entertainment wise outside of the house and I would like to have better options on things to watch in the evenings. I just added Hulu plus back to our viewing so we'll see how long that holds us off.

You can use a digital antenna to get your local stations, like NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. So you won't miss the news.

The only benefit to Roku would be that it has some extra channels, like a TED talks channel, Khan Academy, some news, home and garden stuff, cooking shows, etc.

What I don't understand is this:

You all must still pay for high speed internet, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to have netflix, etc.? If you're paying for internet alone it often makes the price much more expensive, right? So, how much are you actually saving by cutting out cable but keeping the internet? I've been trying to do the calculations but now my head is just spinning. lol

You all must still pay for high speed internet, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to have netflix, etc.? If you're paying for internet alone it often makes the price much more expensive, right? So, how much are you actually saving by cutting out cable but keeping the internet? I've been trying to do the calculations but now my head is just spinning. lol

Especially when you add in what it costs for netflix per month, hulu or prime and the antennas, etc. that you need.

This depends a lot on your area and your service providers. Here, internet alone runs us about $50. Internet + cable would run us $99 at least (on a promotion) and eventually more like $130. I know in some areas it's a lot closer in price.

For local news, have you checked your local news website? Some of them do streaming newscasts now, too, often for free. Or try a digital antenna. Some areas have good reception, and some don't, but it might be worth a try!

We haven't had cable since college, and don't miss it at all! We do netflix streaming and stream from the major network websites. Sometimes there is a show we wish we could see, but it is rarely a problem and they usually come out on DVD eventually. Plus we don't have to watch commercials most of the time.

We briefly contemplated getting cable when we moved here, but the notion of paying $50+/month then still having to watch commercials and having to schedule around TV times (or get a tivo/dvr for more $$) was just not appealing to us. Netflix at $8/month with no commercials seems better, plus we get to watch when we want and we can watch old episodes of shows we like without waiting for the networks to decide to do a marathon (usually on a weekend we're busy doing other things).

We cut cable many years ago. In Tacoma, we got the broadcast channels for free. When we moved to Lacey, we no longer got any broadcast channels. We pay $17.xx for Netflix and buy Dr. Who episodes from Amazon for $2.05 per episode as they come out.

Given that, we still have a problem with the kids and screen time. We have to keep an eye on it and keep it limited.

I still miss the anticipation of waiting for the next episode of a show we enjoy. With Netflix, we pick a show and watch it daily until done. It isn't the same. I don't miss the news. I like being ignorant of current events, honestly. It's a lot less depressing. Big things I need to know about, I end up hearing about it here, on Facebook, or through my husband who reads the news.

We pay for DSL with our landline. It is a separate cost from cable, which we'd be paying for anyway.

We cut TV entirely 9 years ago. Once you adjust to not having it, chances are you will not particularly miss it.

We didn't have it when DH was in grad school, got it for a year when he first graduated because we had a promo bundle deal, then decided to drop it again when that expired. I only miss it when the Red Sox are in the playoffs. :D

The only benefit to Roku would be that it has some extra channels, like a TED talks channel, Khan Academy, some news, home and garden stuff, cooking shows, etc.

Cooking shows? Could you share what some of the titles or shows are? Khan Academy would be cool on the BIG TV.

The bundle with cable/phone/internet was going to cost us close to $200/mo (and that was back in 2007), while high-speed internet with the wireless router alone is only ~$80/mo. We don't pay for Netflix or Hulu+, but even if we did, it wouldn't come close to what cable is around here.

In our old city it was a savings of about $50 to not have cable. In this rural town there is no cable you must get satellite. I pay $62/month for internet, but if I added satellite I would be adding another $80/month to that. For the first year living here I didn't have internet either but I really need it for my homeschool, so it is a necessity for my family. Cable is not.

For the person who asked, cutting Cable but keeping internet saves us 70 dollars a month.

Now that Google has started offering it's own cable/fiber/etc we will get that if it ever comes to our town, as DH finds it a good deal for the money.

If we had second tier cable, phone, internet it would be 200$. That would be a step over basic cable and include things like CNN and food network. We pay 99$ for phone and internet. We would have to pay for internet no matter because we value that more than the cable.

We pay for Netflix but that is all. We don't pay for hulu plus. We don't have a TV so we didn't have to buy one or get a streaming device or a wii or what have you.

For local news and weather etc I often keep NPR in in the background. We like the classical music. I would do that even if we had a tv. I wouldn't keep a TV on all day.

For us, it is less about paying for cable than not having so much popular culture in our lives. I like to have more control over what media is in my environment. With a TV anything can come in. I got rid of it over 10 years ago, and even then I had only had it briefly. I never really developed a huge TV habit, so it is easy to not have it. It is less of a financial choice than a lifestyle choice.

I also like not having to arrange my furniture around watching a TV. :lol:

We don't have cable. I do not know exactly what we save. We have some kind of crazy fast business internet. I'd have to ask DH, but we need that since he works from home and runs multiple servers.

With cable, we were still buying other shows/movies, and we rarely seemed to watch anything not on one of the "regular" channels. We have an antenna in the attic and get the basic channels. Then we just buy what we want off Amazon. We have Netflix and the kids mostly like documentary things like TED. I don't care if we don't save a load. I'd rather buy what I want and not pay for hundreds of channels I don't care about. I miss the food network, but I'm not paying just for that. IT's principal :tongue_smilie:. If the cable co would let me buy per channel I'll come back.