Menu

Bible Memory - do your kids memorize the same or different verses?

Marie131

We will all be memorizing the same versus from Calvary Children's Curriculum. I think at this stage in all our religious education it is best to be on the same page in my household. My husband only came to Christ a few years ago and I honestly don't have as many scriptures memorized as I want so this will be a family project.

This year we will do both! I'm going to add portions of Scripture for us to memorize together but the kids will each have their own memory work through AWANA clubs. I really like AWANA but I missed having something we could all say together. So instead of just misc. verses, we will memorize three/four longer passages throughout the year.

This year we will do both! I'm going to add portions of Scripture for us to memorize together but the kids will each have their own memory work through AWANA clubs. I really like AWANA but I missed having something we could all say together. So instead of just misc. verses, we will memorize three/four longer passages throughout the year.

I like that idea. I'm going to have some verses for us all to memorize (I was thinking some Psalms and parables to start with). But I'd like the older boys to do more. :auto:

I forgot to mention that we are also working on memorizing hymns. I've been learning to play them on the piano anyway, so we decided to do one at a time, and keep singing it every day until we've learned all the verses. A few of us have also memorized the books of the Bible; we are reviewing those each day so that the younger dc can learn them also.

Both. We have memory pieces we do as a family, and often kids have particular sections they're studying on their own. It works for us.

We also use SCM memory boxes. I highly recommend them. Each kid has their own, and I'm switching the family-wide memory work to a binder with the same set-up. (If you search for Mnemosyne on the board, a WTM poster has posted free printables for a binder.)

They memorize the same ones, which we pick out of our Sunday School curriculum. So all their classmates at church are also memorizing the same ones. It really helps my younger ds to memorize when he has to listen to his older sister recite hers. We continue to recite the ones we have memorized and just add one. This way, they learn them better, and it helps my younger ds, since he is usually a little behind his older sister.

When my kids were in AWANA they did different verses, but once they finished we all did the same ones. I also like the Topical Memory System which I had done in college--some good foundational verses. Another fun idea is to pick a longer passage to work on for awhile.

Have fun! Merry :-)

Wow! I really like the memory box idea. My cache of memorized scripture verses is shameful, and I have yet to start with my boys. We bought My ABC Bible Verses to do with them this year. I may adapt that the the memory box, using the full verse(s) rather than just the portion given in the book. Or have the kids do the short version while DH and I work on fuller context so we move more at the same pace. I love the idea of family memory work.