Menu

I really don't get people, women in particular...

Sadly, I have always had trouble understanding social interaction, especially with my own gender.

I don't understand why if you made it clear in the past that you are superior and don't really need to talk be around someone, why would you at some later date proceed to try to converse with that person again. Do you think she's forgotten.

There's this girl my dd interacted with a lot for a few years when she was 6-8. The mom made it clear that she and her dd were much superior to us. I avoided talking to the mom and encouraged dd to limit interaction. 5 years have past. The girls ran into each other one time during that period. I found tonight that the other girl is in dd's summer hip hop and jazz classes. This is the second week so 4 times so far. The mom saw me waiting in my car in the parking lot and decided to come over and make conversation. I was reading, I would never have seen this woman otherwise. I think she needed to tell me her dd is going to Prestigious Science Magnet High School in the fall. I made pleasantries, but I kept thinking "why are you talking to me?"

dd didn't recognize the girl until tonight. The girl has been calling herself a completely different name in class. The name she is calling herself isn't something she's ever used and most likely is not a middle name. The name is a very popular American name. The girl is foreign born and her given name clearly reflects the culture of her birth.

Well, besides the 11K tuition, I mentioned in an earlier thread I have another reason dd won't continue taking dance at this studio.

Edited by betty

I think that sort of "I am better than you" attitude usually stems from a lack of self worth & low self esteem. She feels the need to cut down other to raise herself up. I am sure there is no "love lost" on your part. Sorry you had to losten to her ramblings though.

mmm... I don't think this is exclusive to women either. To insecure narcissists, yes. They have a need to show they are superior to everyone at all times.

Humor her, ignore her, or tell her off, but nothing she ever does will make sense to a normal person.

The magnet schools in our area have a waiting list. Does she need to be super smart to get into the school, or was she lucky to have gotten high enough on the list? I can't tell if this woman was bragging or making conversation.

I made pleasantries, but I kept thinking "why are you talking to me?"

See, this is where we differ.

In this situation -- with someone who years ago clearly stated she thought herself superior to me and she thought her daughter superior to my daughter (the nerve!) and with whom I've had no meaningful contact since -- if I was thinking, "Why are you talking to me?" then I would have said, "Why are you talking to me?"

And then I would have put my window up and gone on reading my book.

:blink: At this point in my life, I don't put up with this crap.

mmm... I don't think this is exclusive to women either. To insecure narcissists, yes. They have a need to show they are superior to everyone at all times.

Humor her, ignore her, or tell her off, but nothing she ever does will make sense to a normal person.

That's what I was thinking. It makes perfect sense, because unless she continues to compare herself to everyone else and make sure they know how superior she is, she doesn't have that self-ego-stroking reassurance of how superior she really is. Ugh.

I often do not have much conversation with woman. I find it frustrating. The conversation always turns to bashing. OTOH, I find plenty to talk about with most husbands. Seems they don't like the gossip LOL....they talk about hobbies, that kind of thing.

Or older woman. They seem to have interests beyond what is wrong with other people. And they like me cause I'm a young whipersnapper :D.