Menu

Is there a standardized test out there

Zebra

that I can give and SCORE at home? I know about the CAT and the ITBS tests, but you have to send them off to be scored somewhere else. I have a huge problem with this, I want to be able to grade it myself, and I don't want the results somewhere else.

Does such a test exist out there? One you can do completely at home that would tell you if your child is "on grade level"?

:lurk5:

I give DS the ITBS, but I take the test myself a few weeks before I give it to him, then I grade his test against my answers. (Assuming here that I think I know the correct answer. :001_huh: :lol: ) I do that because I want to know specifically what he missed.

I do send it in to be scored, but I think you could sent back the test booklet w/o the answer sheet and just tell them you don't want it scored. Maybe call one of the suppliers and ask if that is possible.

If you are just doing it for yourself you could just print off old state standardized test and then grade them for yourself. Here is the link to NYS site http://www.nysedregents.org/

Otherwise any of the other tests such as the Iowas, Stanford, PASS are all graded at a central location. You might want to look at the PASS test which can be given at home on your own schedule even though you mail it back to be scored.

I recommend the released tests you can get online like the NYS one linked above (I've used that one before.) I think you can get old TAKS (Texas' tests) too and I may have see California tests online at one point.

If privacy is the concern you could use a fictitious name.

Re: Texas

They used to release the TAKS. I am not sure since they just switched tests. (Or just the name?!) But remember that Texas is near the bottom of US education standards and their tests reflect that. :tongue_smilie:

I was at the bookstore earlier this year, looking at test prep books, and one labeled, "All New!!! Improved!!! Starr Test Prep!!!" jumped off the shelf at me. (Starr is the name of our new test.) As I picked it up, I noticed the book behind it was the Taks test prep book from last year, from the same company. I took both books to a chair and sat down to compare... Covers were totally different, but inside was word for word the same! Same questions, same page layout, same pictures. :lol: I keep hearing how the only people who have benefited from standardized testing are the testing companies and I would believe it.