Menu

What grade do your start keeping track of formal grades for all subjects?

What year do you begin keeping giving formal grades for all subjects?  

1. 1. What year do you begin keeping giving formal grades for all subjects?

• 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • Other

So far, I have kept track of grades for LA and Math (the only subjects that have had tests/quizzes).

Now that ds1 is technically in Middle School, I was wondering if I should give him grades for each subject. He is beginning Algebra 1 this year, so I'm thinking the grade could be important.

When do you start formally recording grades for your dc? (Poll coming, just in case it takes me a minute...)

So far, I have kept track of grades for LA and Math (the only subjects that have had tests/quizzes).

Now that ds1 is technically in Middle School, I was wondering if I should give him grades for each subject. He is beginning Algebra 1 this year, so I'm thinking the grade could be important.

When do you start formally recording grades for your dc? (Poll coming, just in case it takes me a minute...)

I voted other b/c I only record grades formally for high school level courses taken for credit, so that is simply whenever they start taking them. However, even then, I don't necessarily give tests for grades. (On our oldest dd's course description for art history, I stated that grades were based on essays. I actually described how grades were derived for every course b/c I am not much of a test giver.) I also don't give letter grades for every subject. French was simply a P b/c I can grade grammar, but not conversational skills. (again, in the course description I stated that fact.)

FWIW, she was accepted to every school she applied to w/scholarship $$, so it was not an issue for the schools she applied to.

ETA: I meant to post that the reason for not recording grades in general when they are younger is b/c I only accept work that is their highest level of proficiency to begin with. So anything below that has to be re-done until it is up to par w/what I know they can produce.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I would track it and record it personally once they start high school level work, but to show anyone I just worry about it from high school on. We're big testers here, though, so I have a letter/number grade for every subject starting in middle school.

ETA: I meant to post that the reason for not recording grades in general when they are younger is b/c I only accept work that is their highest level of proficiency to begin with. So anything below that has to be re-done until it is up to par w/what I know they can produce.

:iagree:

That's my philosophy, too. Also, I don't record grades prior to 9th, even for high school level subjects like Algebra I.

With full-time dual enrollment, my oldest has so many credits that I ended up dropping any credits earned prior to 9th grade.

I'm planning to start simple pass, fail, and honors in 7th grade, just for kiddo to get used to the idea, and start in the 8th grade, but only formally record in the 9th on.

I may well change as time goes on, but so far that is my goal. I have to learn the business, too.;)

I'll be keeping track of grades for my 8th grader this year, so he can get used to how I'll be testing and grading papers for high school. He's taking Algebra 1, but I don't think I'll be including his grade on his high school transcript - just the fact that he completed it.

I'll also grade my 6th grader's work, but that's because he plans to go to a private high school and will need a middle school transcript.

Right, exactly, this! This discussion came up in a thread awhile ago, and I kept thinking - the whole point of testing in the one and only area I test (math) is to tell whether she has mastered the material. If she has, great, we move on. If she hasn't, then we review until she has. So what test score should you record? The first one, when she wasn't done learning the material? That doesn't seem right. The second one, after she has mastered it? Well, then, of course it's going to be an A, because I won't move on till it is. So what's the point?

I get that there might be a different way to approach this for high school work, but at this point mastery/excellence is the goal, so in skill areas things are repeated until they are at "A" level.

I voted 9th, but the truth is I keep grades in most subjects all the time. I like tests and use them regularly. Most of the grades I keep are test basted only. Then again, there are subjects we just don't test in. I don't keep assignment grades because as others have said, all assignments must be done or redone until they are right.

For high school I tried to be more definitive about grades in all subjects. I looked at what I could base a grade on and noted how I graded in my course descriptions. I still got a bit lackadaisical about tracking the non-tested subjects by the time the year was over. Maybe I should have started sooner. :D