Menu

How much actual writing is there in Writing With Ease 3?

edeemarie

I am looking into this to use with my ds8. From four different writing programs (Writing Tales, Classical Composition, WWE, and IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating) he chose WWE because he loves the literature selections. Anyway, how much actual writing (besides dictation) is there in this book? Are they writing paragraphs by the end of the year? Just curious about what the program actual entails. Also, do I just need the workbook, and the student pages are in the back? Do I just copy those pages, or buy separate student pages? Thanks for the help, again:)

*Also, I am assuming he would start in WWE3, but is there a way to know for sure? I was going to try some of the sample dictation passages and see how he does- is that the best way to tell? Thanks!

Edited by edeemarie

Yes, you might want to try the evaluations. In WWE 3, they are not writing paragraphs by the end of the year. That is what they learn in WWE 4. Level 3 writing consists mostly of dictation. However, if you feel your son is ready for paragraph writing, you can always speed up that portion and have him write some or all of his own narrations. WWE is a fairly flexible program; you can speed up or slow down as you see fit.

You need just the workbook, or just the instructor text, depending on how you want to use it. If you go with the workbook, all the passages are selected for you and it's basically open and go.

Also, if you don't want to use up the student pages, or copy them yourself, you can buy a PDF download of the student pages from Peace Hill Press.

We're several weeks into WWE3, and I've found it's quite easy for my DS to write his dictations and narrations in a composition book. If your DS can manage writing on wide rule lines, you might consider that as a cheaper alternative than copying or buying separate student pages.

We're several weeks into WWE3, and I've found it's quite easy for my DS to write his dictations and narrations in a composition book. If your DS can manage writing on wide rule lines, you might consider that as a cheaper alternative than copying or buying separate student pages.

This is what we do. I still buy the workbook (PDF version) because creating the selections on my own was taking too much time. I just use the comp book instead of printing out the student pages.

Just a thought-and I am totally new here, so feel free to disregard.:001_smile: I pulled my son out of 2nd grade in PS in January of this year. He was struggling with the curriculum.At that point they were well on their way to making a thoughtful paragraph.. After pulling him out, we worked on paragraphs about different topics often. He made dramatic improvement at home.(in all areas YAY!!) . Although my ds is not gifted, I don't feel like this is a skill that is above his level.

I found the WTM after I decided to HS. I like the idea of narration and dictation, and had already decided on my own that my ds needed to work on that skill. To my knowledge, that was not worked on in PS at all. In WWE3, however, that is all there is. So, I have also added for this year, a workbook called Daily 6 trait writing, by Evan Moore. I don't know how I am going to combine them, but in some way, I will, without doing each one every day.

I understand that you may not care what the PS is doing at grade levels (believe me I get it :tongue_smilie:),and I am sure it varies widely, but just thought I would share my experiences. This year our third grade in PS will begin trait based writing too.