Menu

Good books for 3rd graders to read? (chapter books)

ChristusG

Is there a list of good books for 3rd graders to read?

DD8 reads for 30 minutes a day (part of our school day). For the most part, I let her choose what she reads (usually Magic Treehouse, Cul-de-sac Kids, stuff like that). But once a month I want her to read a book of my choosing. What are some books that are not too difficult for her to understand? But will be good, solid reading for her?

Target is selling junior classics for just $1. My 8yo's reading level is high, but it takes her forever to read a longer book that's at her level. She's slowly reading through The Phantom Tollbooth, but whipped through The Little Princess in a few days. The junior classics are all on third grade level. Sonlight and Memoria Press have a list by grade level of their own picks. Also, check Scholastic Book Wizard for the third grade books.

I would say anything by E.B White: Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan. Also, The Boxcar Children is such a great series for that age and has a ton of books. My son read the original Pinocchio and Homer Price in 3rd grade also.

HTH :001_smile:

Medieval Mom compiled a great list. Here is the thread or if you message me your email I can send you this list as a great .pdf where the books are sorted both by grade and subject .. even little check boxes=D I tried to find where I downloaded it from to post the link but can't find it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=153829

There was just this thread too, of favorites. I added some to my dd's reading list from this one.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=406628

Edited by tomandlorih
add link

My DD7 really got into reading with the Secret of Droon books after completing the MTH series 1-28. I wouldn't say they're great literature but may be good reading motivators. Also continuing the MTH series with the Merlin Mission books. We also like the Who Was ... series of biographies.

Such is her love of reading now (after the Secret of Droon books, which I was not on board with at first, the last, #36, of which she is finishing at this very moment) that she picked out two of the $1.00 abridged classics at Target, The Jungle Book and Dr. Doolittle, yesterday to buy with her own money. Something I've casuall suggested in the past to no avail.

She thinks she wants to read the Guardians of Ga'hoole series next. I think they may be more of 4th grade level. I'll be looking at this thread for more ideas too. Thanks for the post.

I like the 7-9 literature list from Moving Beyond the Page. Recently DD8 has been hooked on reading the Little House on the Prairie series and is reading The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook. I have a hard time prying her away from that one so she will go to sleep, and she put up a fight not to read it. :tongue_smilie: I think she could probably handle some of the P3/4 and P4/5 books, especially if she remembers some of the story.

The American Girl series are good, but I think are a little above a 3rd grade reading level. Dick King-Smith's books are good, like The Invisible Dog or Babe, the Gallant Pig. Some of the longer Dr. Seuss books are good too, like The Butter Battle Book or The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.