Menu

Look at this Cuisenaire Rods Kit on Amazon....

rachelpants

So...I want to buy some C-Rods for the kids and I'm checking Amazon and come across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisenaire-Rods-Fractions-Wood-Grades/dp/B000FFWCOW

Woah...anyone need cheap c-rods for a group??? LOL. 90% off, woot!

I'm new to c-rods...and while I'm *pretty sure* I don't need *12 trays* of them LOL...my main question is this: Is there a difference in "C-Rods for Fractions" and just regular c-rods? Will I eventually need a different set for when I teach fractions?

Thanks!!

EDIT TO ADD: DON'T DO IT!!! LOL...IT'S ONLY ONE SET! (Unless you really only want one set, of course :)

Edited by rachelpants

That would be an awesome deal. Do you think it is accurate, or a misprint?

Eta: I would guess they would be the usual c-rods, but it probably includes some teacher notes on how to use them for fractions?

So...I don't need to buy "regular" c-rods and "fractions" c-rods. LOL...I'm new. Thanks for your help!

HAHAHA, I really want to- but the .65 think has me thrown. I cancelled it because it's a pain in the butt to return!

It says they are wood in the description! Maybe they are wood trays...LOL. I don't think you should cancel. I bet the shipping weight is just for one tray...and they didn't update for the case or whatever. The seller is "ToysNGamesETC". I bet they are just getting rid of them because nobody thinks c-rods are "toys" or "games" :D

Okay- after running the item numbers in the learning resources-

THIS on the listing:

Specifications for this item

Brand Name ETA Hand2Mind Part Number 010516 Number of Items 1 Catalog Number LER7501 EAN 0765023075014 Item Weight 0.65 pounds Describes ONE tray of wooden rods- while the title says it is a case of 12.

Scrolling down lower, it says set sold as 1 each.

I think the title is wrong, and the rest of the listing is correct. My bet is you place the order and you'll get one set.

Is anyone going to gamble on that? :lol:

Look at Amazon's description below. It says shipping weight 1.9 lbs. I bet the original price is a mistype. Also amazon's return policy is stellar..especially if they had faulty or confusing information on the description. I would order but I already stocked up on EAI's sale last year.

Okay- after running the item numbers in the learning resources-

THIS on the listing:

Specifications for this item

Brand Name ETA Hand2Mind Part Number 010516 Number of Items 1 Catalog Number LER7501 EAN 0765023075014 Item Weight 0.65 pounds Describes ONE tray of wooden rods- while the title says it is a case of 12.

Scrolling down lower, it says set sold as 1 each.

I think the title is wrong, and the rest of the listing is correct. My bet is you place the order and you'll get one set.

Is anyone going to gamble on that? :lol:

I did. Amazon will take them back if it's not as listed. The Amazon listing for $121 takes you to the same page.

It must just be mislabeled

:iagree:

When you need an answer, the easiest thing to do is to email the seller. I did and this was the response:

It was an Amazon error on the listing page, so it should only be set. We apologize for this error on Amazon's behalf. We are working with them to get this listing corrected.

Yep.....to good to be true. (we have lost so many cuisenaire rods over the yrs that that would have been a great supply for it not to matter. :lol: )

According to Amazon, I bought that set earlier this year. It was just the single set as pictured. It must just be mislabeled and you'll probably get the denied email.

Me too, I ordered this a few months ago, the seller was different though.

I should have read through all the pages before posting. Thank you so much for contacting amazon and saving us the hassle of returning.

:iagree:

When you need an answer, the easiest thing to do is to email the seller. I did and this was the response:

Yep.....to good to be true. (we have lost so many cuisenaire rods over the yrs that that would have been a great supply for it not to matter. :lol: )

I found this listing elsewhere

http://www.teacherstorehouse.com/product2.asp?product_key=59943&order_key=&goto=product_search.asp%3Fterm%3D

[by LEARNING RESOURCES, Item #LER7501, Barcode/UPC: 0765023075014]

Item Description: Cuisenaire Rods Introductory Set - Wood Rods - "Contains 74 rods (enough for two students working together), tray with lid and Activity Guide. Set includes: 22 white, 12 red, 10 light green, six purple, and four each of the yellow, dark green, black, brown, blue, and orange rods. Use with 2-3 students."

They're selling for $16.99

There's nothing wrong with that set, but they are plastic which don't work well for multiplication and division. The wood ones work better for that!

We have that set and they work just fine for multiplication and division. Is there a reason you think only wood can work?

We have that set and they work just fine for multiplication and division. Is there a reason you think only wood can work?

If you watch Rosie's video Kristina linked, you can see that the plastic bubble out so they don't line up very well for showing that, for example 7 3's is the same as 3 7's.

We have the wood and the thing that drives me nuts is that despite the fact that I bought them as part of a single set, they're clearly from two different batches and the greens are very different. So I have four shades of green and the darker 3 rods are actually closer in tone to the lighter 6 rods than to the lighter 3 rods. I thought maybe switching to plastic would fix that, but in another thread here awhile back, someone said they had issues like that with the plastic ones as well. Boo. Oh well, I guess it's a small price to pay for a great manipulative?

Maybe I should have clarified better. They don't work for LARGE multiplication and division done the way Crewton Ramone (and I think also MUS?) teaches. They can be used for smaller multiplication and division as shown in Miquon. But they really are a great tool for teaching the multiplication algorithm and long division!