Menu

Cruise Lines?

My DH and I are going to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in June. We would like to take a cruise. We live in New England. I know most cruise lines leave from Florida. We would like to go to the Carribean.

Wondering if it would be cheaper to use a port out of New York?

Do we need passports?

And what cruiseline would you recommend? We cannot afford a luxury liner, but we don't want bottom of the line either.

And do they offer all inclusive packages? And where is the best place to talk to someone about booking a cruise?

Thanks

DH & I have been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. We much preferred Royal Caribbean, although Carnival wasn't bad. We sailed out of Galveston both times. DH & I just like to chill so we had a good time with both lines.

Cruising out of NY, you'll loose time getting to the Caribbean. Last time I looked, cruising out of Florida was cheapest, but you had to get there. So it was a wash for us.

You don't need passports, but I'd get them. If something happened to you (medical emergency, miss the boat, etc) you can't get back in the country without them.

Cruises are all inclusive. Most of them have some restaurants you have to pay extra, but you'll always find food available for free 24-7. If you're talking alcohol, only the most $$$$ cruise lines offer this as an option. I believe most of them will sell a package of wine though.

I'd get travel insurance. It's only $100 or so, but gives you your $ back if something goes wrong. When you're already spending $1000+, it's not much.

And cruisecritic.com is a great resource. The forums are a great place to learn from.

I would think you would want to leave from Florida so you aren't spending most of your time sailing from NY to the Caribbean.

We've been on 2 cruses - Carnival and Holland American. I would highly recommend Holland American. It was very classy. It catered to an older crowd. While Carnival was younger and louder.

What do you mean by all inclusive? Most cruises you get all the food on-board you want included. You do have to pay for drinks (other than water, tea, coffee). So if you are big drinkers, include it in your budget.

I would also make sure you set aside a large amount of money for the various stops. We found it made the trip 10 times better to go on tours, sub rides, shopping expeditions, dolphin watching boats, etc at each stop. The people who didn't go off ship didn't have such a good time. The cruise gives you a list of things you can do at the beginning. So we went through it and picked what we wanted to do. Some things you can do at many places and somethings you can only do at one specific place. Some people would just hire a local cabby instead of spending money for a regular tour. While cheaper, they did not always have the best experience.

We didn't buy much souvenirs. So that wasn't a significant cost for us. But I have know people to buy jewelry etc.

My parents go on 2 cruises a year and always on Holland America. Yes, you'll need your passports. I think you can arrange cruise packages directly through the cruise line websites. My mom is always talking about this or that email she got from Holland America with a new cruise package deal. She's also arranged cruises through travel agents.

Thanks for the website. And I wasn't sure if cruises were all inclusive, meaning meals and drinks(coffee, tea ,water etc).

We would have to fly to Florida. Which is why I was wondering if it was more cost effective to leave from NY. We can drive to NY.

Thanks for all the input!

We have taken 2 cruises out of FL; Royal Carribean (Bahamas) and Carnival (Mexico). We enjoyed Carnival more. The food was 100% better. We took 2 of our children on the Carnival one and they had a blast (they were 6 and 8 at the time). I didn't find it too loud/rowdy at all, but we didn't stay out late.

Of the three companies that I have cruised with, I recommend them in this order: 1) Celebrity (amazing food and accommodations) 2) Princess (fun entertainment) 3) Carnival (cheaper price)

I add the caveat that I did not pay for the Celebrity trip, so it was probably nicer accommodations than I would have stayed in had I been paying, but it was really nice :)

I've only cruised with Norwegian, three times -- Mexican Riviera, Alaska, and Mediterranean. The meals were free style, so you could eat whenever.

Pop and alcohol and specialty food places were extra. Excursions are extra.

You will need a passport.

Edited by mom2samlibby

I've only cruised with Norwegian. The meals were free style, so you could eat whenever.

You will need a passport.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so; I believe you only need a birth certificate, as long as you are taking a cruise that begins and stops at the same port.

I've only cruised with Norwegian. The meals were free style, so you could eat whenever.

I don't think so; I believe you only need a birth certificate, as long as you are taking a cruise that begins and stops at the same port.

It will depend on where they end up cruising. We found that while we didn't need one on one of the cruises we took, it was much easier to hand them a passport vs. drivers license and birth certificate.

http://www.expertcruiser.com/blog/cruisers-passports-required-june-1-2009/

I've only been on one cruise. Dh and I went on a Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean last year. It was fabulous. The food was fantastic and the ship was clean with good service. AirFrance lost our luggage but Royal Caribbean tracked it down for us and arranged to get it onto the ship. Because formal dining was on our second night and dh had no appropriate attire, they comped him a tuxedo rental. Our ship was Liberty of the Seas. We paid $299 each for a Mon. - Sat. cruise and we got an outside cabin. We booked about two weeks before we traveled. The prices were low because they were filling up the rest of the cabins. I booked through their website and chose the option of letting them put us in any room, inside or outside cabin. We lucked out and got an outside cabin. :)

We were asked for our passports when we got off the ship in Mexico by Mexican officials on our last cruise (2 years ago).

CS Cruises and Tours' date=' Inc

Burlington, MA

871-229-1900

Talk to Rene. She can tell you everything you want to know.

We've been on 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean and booked both with Rene.

(She's family, but I don't get anything for referrals.)[/quote']

Thanks! I will give her a call.