Menu

Itchy Scalp

Dd 12 has an itchy scalp that's driving her nuts.

So far, we've tried Head and Shoulders and it gives relief for a few hours.

We've checked for lice and since we've had that before and recently, I'm pretty familiar with nits and lice. We didn't see anything.

She says she feels small bumps, but I can't see the bumps she points out.

She is immune-compromised and is allergic to soft hand soap.

Anyone else dealt with itchy scalps??? I'm picking up Scalpicin today at the drug store, but has anyone had success with home remedies?

Dd thanks you for your suggestions from the top of her itchy head:001_smile:

Does it hurt when she scratches?? Has it be particularly humid where you are?

It could be a fungal infection called Tinea. I had one dd who had this years ago. I think we treated it with head-shoulders and then blow dried her hair to keep her from running around with a wet head, KWIM? IT went away pretty quickly after we figured out what it was.

Also, there's the Head-Shoulders in the all blue bottle. I've had a lot of trouble w/ itchy scalp over the years too and the one that comes int he dark blue bottle helps the most. It's an advance formula.... some people can only use it 2-3x per week otherwise it's too harsh. I think it's called Clinical Strength.

Just a few ideas to look into.

Biolage makes a great shampoo for that. I have had to use it with DS a couple time a year. He has THICK hair, and does not like it super short so every once in a while I have to help him really scrub his scalp with this. It has a very nice clean scent.

I'm sensitive or allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate, which is used in soaps, laundry detergent, toothpaste, and shampoo. It makes me itch....badly. Baking soda rinses get rid of the itchy scalp, and it stays away if I avoid shampoo entirely. I also can't use most soaps, most detergents, and most toothpastes.

Edited by joannqn

I was diagnosed with Tinea (lived in a humid climate at the time, have it on my body too) versicolor. I used a selenium sulfide (RX strength) shampoo on hair and body, which helped a tiny bit. We then tried a few expensive RX topical meds, and they didn't really help.

It didn't improve much with any antifungal. I saw a new derm and they think it is guttate psoriasis (fairly mild on my body, very small spots that end up hypopigmented. It is more annoying on my scalp)

A lot of the anti dandruff shampoos make it better for a day, and then actually cause a flare. Ditto the topical steroid I was given to try-it is in an alcohol base and it just makes it worse a day later. I am not interested in systemic immune suppressant drugs for it as it isn't bothersome enough to me to go that route.

I'd try cutting out some of the common flare-up ingredients like sulfates, etc. first to see if that helps at all.

Derms can sometimes culture if necessary-that may tell you if it is fungal, for example (looks like spaghetti and meatballs under a microscope as they say). My skin culture came back "inconclusive" and I was out a few hundred bucks, but they do sometimes give additional info I'm sure.

Edited by Momof3littles

I'm sensitive or allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate, which is used in soaps, laundry detergent, toothpaste, and shampoo. It makes me itch....badly. Baking soda rinses get rid of the itchy scalp, and it stays away if I avoid shampoo entirely. I also can't use most soaps, most detergents, and most toothpastes.

So what do you use for a shampoo? We use bar soaps like Burt's Beewax brand or ivory for hand washing. :bigear:

I'm sensitive or allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate, which is used in soaps, laundry detergent, toothpaste, and shampoo. It makes me itch....badly.

Some in our household are also sensitive to SLS but can handle ammonium lauryl sulfate. Head and Shoulders has SLS; Denorex doesn't. Ds uses Denorex once or twice a week and Tres Semme in between. I only needed to switch the Tres Semme to significantly reduce itching. Most shampoos use SLS but there are a few that use ALS. I think Aussie and Pert use ALS. Check labels, of course; even in the natural food section some shampoos have SLS.

Edited by Cinder
grammar

Some SLS-free/ALS-free shampoos you could try: Yes to Carrots, Yes to Cucumbers, Gud shampoo (by Burt's Bees).

I think my oldest ds may have psoriasis on his scalp. I need to take him to the dr to find out for sure. I have psoriasis myself, and my scalp is usually the worst place, but I occasionally have spots on my elbows, etc. DS has no other spots, but I'm pretty it's what's causing the itching and flaking on his scalp. There aren't any OTC shampoos that help me at all. I have to use an Rx med. I do avoid any shampoos with SLS though.

The fungal infection that others mentioned could be a possibility too.

I get a build up on my scalp from shampoos that makes my head itch. I do an apple cider vinegar rinse (1:1 ratio with warm water, leave on 3-5 minutes, clear water rinse) about every month or two and it takes care of it for me.

Nothing medical, just a build up.

It also leaves my hair very shiny. :0)

You can try the other dandruf shampoos. Just watch the ingredients to make sure you are getting different active ingredients.

here is an article that talks about the different ingredients:

Best dandruff shampoo ingredients

Dandruff is a non-contagious scalp condition that causes itching of the scalp and skin flaking. Most people will deal with dandruff at one point in their life. Rarely serious, dandruff is generally controlled with over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoos but not all shampoos are created equal. The dandruff shampoo ingredients that work can be found in brands recommended by people just like you.

Coal tar

A byproduct from the process of coal manufacturing, coal tar is an active ingredient found in the more expensive dandruff shampoos. This ingredient can slow the process of dying skin cells that flake thus leading to dandruff. Topical coal tar is prescribed by doctors in the treatment of different skin conditions like seborrheic dermatitis and eczema. Popular dandruff shampoo brands that contain coal tar include Denorex and Neutrogena T/Gel.

Salicylic acid

There are a variety of dandruff shampoos that contain salicylic acid but these can do more harm than good. For people with overly dry scalps, this ingredient is known to worsen the condition. Salicylic acid is often prescribed for the treatment of acne, psoriasis, and plantar warts. This ingredient is found in a variety of OTC medicines and dandruff shampoos.

Ketoconazole

Available for purchase over-the-counter and as a prescription, ketoconazole is an antifungal product that is often used in severe cases. According to the Mayo Clinic, ketoconazole “may work when other shampoos fail.†This ingredient is found in topical prescriptions used to treat fungus and yeast infections including athlete’s foot and ringworm.

Selenium sulfide

Like coal tar, selenium sulfide slows the rate in which skin cells die thus reducing flakes. But unlike coal tar, selenium sulfide can react with color-treated hair or cause discoloration to blonde and gray hair. This is the active ingredient found in some Selsun Blue medicated dandruff shampoos.

Zinc pyrithione

The most popular dandruff shampoo ingredient is zinc pyrithione. This is the active ingredient found in the most widely used brands like Head & Shoulders. Zinc pyrithione can reduce fungus found on the scalp that may lead to dandruff in some people.

When a particular brand of dandruff shampoo isn’t working, it may not be the shampoo – it could be the ingredients. When switching to a different dandruff shampoo, choose one with a different active ingredient until you find the brand that works best for you.