Menu

Has anyone here successfully made cloth diapers like fuzzi bums or rumparoo?

I would like to make some cloth diapers, but the options for patterns, styles, and fabrics is mind boggling. If you have made your own, could you give me any tips about the supplies you used and what worked best for you? I would prefer patterns downloadable from the internet and supplies that I can buy locally.

Thanks,

Joy

you can use LOTS of stuff. My favorite pattern is the verybaby one size pattern. Check out http://makelaughlove.com/forum/forum.php for more help than I could give.

You can use flannel for soaker material; if you want waterproof I know hobby lobby and maybe joanns now carries babyville supplies, including the waterproof PUL if you have those stores local.

JoAnne's sells PUL now. I'd get PUL for the waterproof outer, alova suedecloth for a stay-dry inner, and swimmers elastic. Oh, and you might *have* to order aplix (unless you have a snap press). Please, don't put regular velcro on a baby. (Ouch!)

For soakers in pockets, I like microfiber rags from the automotive dept. I fold them into 3rds and stitch down one side so that they stay folded in the wash but "open" so that they wash/dry just as fast. (I hope that made sense.)

I like the Rita's Rump pattern, but it's a one size (meant for pinning) and may take some tweaking if you want a different size. That said, it's free and I have used it with aplix for a big baby. It would work well for making a one-size snap-down dipe, I think. I don't know of any other free online patterns that are worth the fabric...

I've sewed quite a bit of my DSs' stash. I really like the LaDiDa and Trimsies patterns, but I think the Darling Diaper pattern is worth it's weight in gold. It has pages of instructions about everything you could hope to know.

I prefer to buy my supplies over the internet because I think I get better materials that way. I can't use microfiber as a soaker because of the water here. Flannel has to have tons of layers in order to work well. I couldn't even close the one flannel diaper I made it was so bulky. I use bamboo fleece (different than the fleece sold at JoAnns) for a soaker mainly. I also order my elastic on the internet. And aplix when I use it. I think most everything can be bought locally though.

It's not easy and quick though. There were quite a few sewing sessions that involved tears and screaming. Sewing diapers has improved my sewing skills a lot. Make sure you get a pattern that has good steps to walk you through. And visit MakeLaughLove because the ladies there are a great help. There are lots of blog posts and youtube videos out there as well.

I've sewed quite a bit of my DSs' stash. I really like the LaDiDa and Trimsies patterns, but I think the Darling Diaper pattern is worth it's weight in gold. It has pages of instructions about everything you could hope to know.

I prefer to buy my supplies over the internet because I think I get better materials that way. I can't use microfiber as a soaker because of the water here. Flannel has to have tons of layers in order to work well. I couldn't even close the one flannel diaper I made it was so bulky. I use bamboo fleece (different than the fleece sold at JoAnns) for a soaker mainly. I also order my elastic on the internet. And aplix when I use it. I think most everything can be bought locally though.

It's not easy and quick though. There were quite a few sewing sessions that involved tears and screaming. Sewing diapers has improved my sewing skills a lot. Make sure you get a pattern that has good steps to walk you through. And visit MakeLaughLove because the ladies there are a great help. There are lots of blog posts and youtube videos out there as well.

I agree with all of this; I prefer to buy my stuff online. Bamboo fleece and bamboo velour are nice; and I prefer regular PUL to babyville for lots of reasons, but you asked about locally obtainable supplies.

Also, I liked LDD a bit, but they tend to run small, or trim, and don't really have a size range on them where they felt worth it to me. I prefer to use newborn Darling Diapers, and then One Size diapers for the rest of the diapering age. :)