Menu

I could just strangle a hair stylist...

My dd18 needed a break yesterday...she just returned from Costa Rica on Monday, and had a bad chest cold and had almost lost her voice. She dutifully took all the medicine I gave her, tons of vitamins, because she had another overnight trip scheduled for today and desperately needed to feel better. It is a big deal, involving a group of students who were awarded fellowships, hearing speakers involved with the professional world and their futures. I thought a haircut would bless her. I was wrong. :glare: We went to a new shop next door to the clothes place we were shopping for her outfit...I paid in advance and left her there so I wouldn't look like an overprotective mom lol. The lady said she knew just how to cut that thick curly hair...and then proceeded to cut it 1 inch from her scalp all over. She came out in tears. I don't blame her. I took her early this morning to get some hair scarves, etc., but she said that she had lost the last bit of self esteem she had...what can I say. I feel brokenhearted for her. She is so dynamic and talented, but now she is so self conscious she will probably not speak the whole meeting. :tongue_smilie: I know it will grow out, but not today. Thanks for reading my vent.

Edited by Blueridge

My dd18 needed a break yesterday...she just returned from Costa Rica on Monday, and had a bad chest cold and had almost lost her voice. She dutifully took all the medicine I gave her, tons of vitamins, because she had another overnight trip scheduled for today and desperately needed to feel better. It is a big deal, involving a group of students who were awarded fellowships, hearing speakers involved with the professional world and their futures. I thought a haircut would bless her. I was wrong. :glare: We went to a new shop next door to the clothes place we were shopping for her outfit...I paid in advance and left her there so I wouldn't look like an overprotective mom lol. The lady said she knew just how to cut that thick curly hair...and then proceeded to cut it 1 inch from her scalp all over. She looks like a poodle. No, her head looks more like a brown cauliflower. She came out in tears. I don't blame her. I took her early this morning to get some hair scarves, etc., but she said that she had lost the last bit of self esteem she had...what can I say. I feel brokenhearted for her. She is so dynamic and talented, but now she is so self conscious she will probably not speak the whole meeting. :tongue_smilie: I know it will grow out, but not today. Thanks for reading my vent.

:grouphug: for you both. I have curly hair and it is difficult at best to find someone who knows what they are doing. I hope she has a wonderful day in spite of all that's gone on. :grouphug:

OMG, I would be livid. This is why I quit going to a stylist, I have that thick curly hair. When it's short it looks like a QTip. I would complain.

To fix it, I would try to go with a wet look. Use some smoothing creme and gel and bunch the curls up, pull a few out and twist them around your finger to give it some shape. If she can do with a few curls around her forehead and the nape of the neck, it might make it look longer.

My MIL has short curly hair and it's cute, but her hair is not super thick.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Big hugs to your dd

OMG, I would be livid. This is why I quit going to a stylist, I have that thick curly hair. When it's short it looks like a QTip. I would complain.

To fix it, I would try to go with a wet look. Use some smoothing creme and gel and bunch the curls up, pull a few out and twist them around your finger to give it some shape. If she can do with a few curls around her forehead and the nape of the neck, it might make it look longer.

My MIL has short curly hair and it's cute, but her hair is not super thick.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Big hugs to your dd

Good idea! Try this.

To change things up a bit, maybe a scarf with a straightened bang on the forehead?

As a licensed cosmetologist, I apologize. We're not all terrible! I have actually turned away clients who wanted a haircut I KNEW I was terrible at (90s- the Rachel from Friends) even though I knew my manager would yell at me... even while the customer was thanking me.

Anyway, how long was her hair to begin with? Did you get a refund?

*NOT* "blaming the voctim" here, but had your DD ever gotten a haircut by herself before? Did she know how to explain her haircut, and to stop the hairdresser when it was going wrong? These are just things to consider in the future and for the rest of us. I know that about 90% of the time when I had an unhappy client it was due to mis-communication or a misunderstanding.

Agreeing- try a wet look with gel. FABULOUS earrings! Think BIG or BOLD... A WOW necklace with a plain top. Slick the sides back a little to give some shape. It might not be the haircut she wanted, but there is probably a way to make it look better.

:grouphug:

Yikes! Poor girl. As someone who avoided hair stylists for years because of one bad one, I feel her pain. Curly hair is pretty forgiving but people also forget that because its curly its 4 inches longer when wet, which is how most hair stylists want to cut it.

Edited by Delirium
spelling error

I just got a really short haircut. Even though it is a great cut and I love it, big earrings and make-up are a must!! Without those two things, it looks boyish. With them it is awesome! Time to make lemonaid out of those lemons!

Ugh. I had a hairdresser do something terrible like that to me once. Now I am totally paranoid. I ask for salon recommendations from well groomed ladies, call the manager of that salon, explain my hair-cut-phobia and curly hair, it is so stressful! I once did all of that, went to the salon and when I got there and the manager said, "oh dear, I didn't think it was going to be at curly," I left. :auto:

Ugh I'm so sorry. I'm so glad my sis cuts all of our hair. I cannot handle anyone touching my head or hair. I would have to be totally looped to walk in to a salon. I even went to one of those high end places once as a teen and walked out with some kind of mullet type thing.

Aww.. I'm so sorry! We probably all have stories like that. I missed my high school graduation because the stylist cut my hair super short like that. When I put my graduation cap on, I literally looked bald. I spent the whole evening in my room crying like a baby. My mom was so upset she called the shop and lit into them. Then I was horribly embarrassed, like I should have cared about anyone in that shop at that time. I certainly had no intentions of ever going back! It was a LONG time before I ever trusted anyone to cut my hair again. Of course it took a long time for it to grow out too. :(