Menu

Oil for boxed brownie mix?

Do not use olive oil in sweets. I cooked a cake once with olive oil and it tasted like olive oil.:glare: It works great for regular bread.

Use coconut oil. It is sweet by nature and will give a nice flavor.

But with chocolate, butter would be really good.

I've never used coconut oil at all, so no idea there. I used olive oil in a pinch for some brownies and couldn't tell. It wasn't the best quality olive oil though! :lol: Most of the stuff I buy in the grocery store is barely fruity and kind of bland...

Can you use butter?

melted butter!

Measure and then melt; or melt and then measure?

Or applesauce works as a sub for the oil.

I use applesauce as the only "oil" in a banana muffin recipe. Would I do applesauce only or half and half (with some type of oil)?

I've used coconut oil making brownies. They are amazing. It tastes like a Mounds brownie.

Not sure what my kiddos would think about a Mounds brownie (they are not fans of the coconut flavor).

I use light olive oil when baking sweets, not EVOO.

I only have EVOO. Would this still work???

Do not use olive oil in sweets. I cooked a cake once with olive oil and it tasted like olive oil.:glare: It works great for regular bread.

Use coconut oil. It is sweet by nature and will give a nice flavor.

But with chocolate, butter would be really good.

I use the light (at least I think that is what it is called) olive oil which is flavorless and says it it is good for baking. We use it in brownies and cakes all the time:)

• 2 years later...

Any of those would work.

Coconut oil is going to be the greasiest/moistest option, and depending on the quality of the oil may add a coconut flavor.  I use it in baked goods all the time.

EEVO would add an olive oil after taste.  Those that mention using it and not tasting it are either nuts or using a very light olive oil.  You might get away with it because it's a pretty chocolatey mix, but I wouldn't risk it.  

Applesauce works great but they are going to come out more "cakey" than "fudgy".  My husband doesnt like it.  :/

And butter would be the richest, best tasting, but not so healthy.  Then again...they are brownies!  I vote butter.  

• Like 1

I use coconut and olive oils almost exclusively. I find that coconut oil can be a little greasy in baked goods, so a use a little bit less. 

I agree.  I use a bit less of the called for amount when baking with coconut oil.  Coconut oil is yummy in brownie mix though!

• 2 years later...

I use olive oil (extra virgin) for pretty much everything that requires cooking oil of any kind. No one has ever noticed or complained and my brownies (I also use a boxed mix) disappear just as quickly as they did before I made the switch. If you're concerned, however, I'd go with coconut just because if you do notice a difference most people don't think twice about coconut in brownies (in fact, my grandmother used to make them special for me because I don't care for walnuts).