Menu

How would you begin your very first day of homeschooling?

letsroll

I am very excited to begin homeschooling my dd8. I am still in the process of finishing our curriculum & am so thankful for all the information I have learned from this forum. So, as we follow in the footsteps of many of you... creative thoughts on beginning our first day?

It worked out that we were to be out of town the first day of school we had originally planned. We stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge and that is how we started our first 2 days of homeschooling.

now the kids want to do that again next year (meaning we we start back up in january after the holidays! LOL)

I am not sure it would be a GWL, but I did enjoy the fun of a "field trip."

I take a picture of my girls the first day of school each year. They hold a sign that says "My first day of xyz". It is fun to see them change from year to year. I also have gifts for them on the first day of school, usually fun school supplies. This year it is finger paints and finger painting paper. We plan to make cookies the first day. And play a game. And do Atelier art. And fun math. And then read Sonlight books. I'm letting my older off the hook with CLE LA and math the first day. I let her come up with a plan for our first day and she had lots of ideas. : )

Kathy

I always start with pancakes with whipped cream in a can (and coffee for me). One year, we took pictures and went to build-a-bear to make a "study buddy." I try to plan a field trip for the first day of school (or the first week if possible).

I always add in something schoolish like a read aloud, but field trips are the best for us for the first day. It takes the pressure off sitting around wondering why you're the one in charge.

I always start with pancakes with whipped cream in a can (and coffee for me). One year, we took pictures and went to build-a-bear to make a "study buddy." I try to plan a field trip for the first day of school (or the first week if possible).

My girls would love the idea of having a study buddy from Build a Bear. Great idea!

schultute. My son still talks about his.

Same. We did one for every year of elementary school. Schultute, in the middle of all the brand new books and games under a Happy New Year banner. :D The first day was just about breaking everything in and setting things up, taking our time to have fun. Day 2 starts the work.