Menu

Pretty disgusted by a dad dd talked to at pool today...

My husband is a piercer as well, and he does do genital piercings. My children do not know what they are, nor would I expect an adult to talk to them about genitals(pierced or otherwise). His co-workers are some of the most crass people you can imagine and they lower their voices in the shop when discussing potential piercings of genitals if there are children around. I would respond the same way you did and warn my daughter(or son) not to have further conversation with an adult who even mentioned that. I don't care if a child did ask if there was a piercing they wouldn't get. An appropriate answer to an 11 yo would be,"Yes." No elaboration on how they wouldn't get their P**** pierced! C'mon!

My husband is a piercer as well, and he does do genital piercings. My children do not know what they are, nor would I expect an adult to talk to them about genitals(pierced or otherwise). His co-workers are some of the most crass people you can imagine and they lower their voices in the shop when discussing potential piercings of genitals if there are children around. I would respond the same way you did and warn my daughter(or son) not to have further conversation with an adult who even mentioned that. I don't care if a child did ask if there was a piercing they wouldn't get. An appropriate answer to an 11 yo would be,"Yes." No elaboration on how they wouldn't get their P**** pierced! C'mon!

I agree. There are many people with piercings who are very professional, as are the pierCERS.

There is a different between a creepy perv, and a dirty old man. This is a dirty old man. Sadly, he probably thought the OP's dd was his dd's age and dirty old men start being inappropriate to girls that age.

I can imagine it both ways. He could be a pervert, sure. But it could have been something like this...

Girl: "cool snakebite; where did you get it?"

Dad: "x shop; how did you know it's called a snakebite?"

G: "My dad is a piercer and I'm at his shop all the time."

D: "That's cool. Are you going to get piercings when you get older?"

G: "Maybe. How about you; do you want more?"

D: "Oh definitely."

G: "Is there any piercing you would never get?"

D: "Well I wouldn't ever get a Prince Albert or a XYZ."

G: "What are those"

Dad (kicking himself): "umm...well, you'll have to ask your parents about that one. Maybe when you're 18 they'll tell you about it."

:iagree: Weird & clueless, but not necessarily creepy.

People are stupid. I hate to say this, but especially men. Sometimes the executive function doesn't kick in until *after* he's already opened mouth and inserted foot. I have 6 daughters. The teens are quite beautiful. They have reported many things fathers of their friends or babysitting charges have said to make things awkward. They always seem regretful and embarrassed, but it happens more often than I care to admit. Some of them seem to have a hard time finding the line between child and woman when joking around.

People are stupid. I hate to say this, but especially men. Sometimes the executive function doesn't kick in until *after* he's already opened mouth and inserted foot. I have 6 daughters. The teens are quite beautiful. They have reported many things fathers of their friends or babysitting charges have said to make things awkward. They always seem regretful and embarrassed, but it happens more often than I care to admit. Some of them seem to have a hard time finding the line between child and woman when joking around.

Ya or that. I guess you don't know unless you see the person talking. You can say ALOT with body language so if it was just a simple conversation he may not have meant it that way.

I'm not a man and even I sometimes have stuck my foot in my mouth in some inapprriotate way.

I'm not a man and even I sometimes have stuck my foot in my mouth in some inapprriotate way.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't mean to disparage men, wholesale. It's just that the men somehow seem to have a harder time quickly figuring out where the line lies, in my experience.