Menu

Why don't we just start our own community?

It sounds lovely. Everyone pitching in and working for the good of the whole. Can't you just see a group of ladies working together in the kitchen? One is kneading the dough. One is cutting up fruit for a fruit salad. One is preparing a roast for the crockpot. Uh huh. Trouble in paradise.

:drool5::drool5::drool5::001_wub: Where are you?? I feel a road trip is needed... (I come with an rv)....

:lol::lol:

Robin in nj

I should first clarify that I should have put a "not" in front of winter and October to May.

I vote we go up to Audrey's. Everybody in America seems to be a little cranky right now. (I mean everybody, including me.) Let's go be organic farmers on a homeschooling kibbutz in Canada.

DH is an electrician and generally very handy, also he plays nicely with others, so he should be an asset. I'll try to get him to wear a kilt now and then. What else is my family good for...hmm...we can teach folk music (guitar, dulcimer, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and old-time and bluegrass singing). We'll be having barn dances, right?

Yes, lots of barn dances. We are also a musical family, so bring your gear and we'll jam.

:iagree:

I am visualizing it to be more of a Cult than a commune though. The cult of Swellmomma! You all could be my minions. Yup this sounds like a good plan to me

I make a really, really, really poor follower :D.

Edited by Dory

I vote we go up to Audrey's. Everybody in America seems to be a little cranky right now. (I mean everybody, including me.) Let's go be organic farmers on a homeschooling kibbutz in Canada.

DH is an electrician and generally very handy, also he plays nicely with others, so he should be an asset. I'll try to get him to wear a kilt now and then. What else is my family good for...hmm...we can teach folk music (guitar, dulcimer, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and old-time and bluegrass singing). We'll be having barn dances, right?

b-b-but, isn't Canada you know, cold? I've never been in snow and don't like being cold. Dare I say it, I really dislike country music too. :blushing: Could we have a southern kibbutz too where the music is more latin or rock based? :D :p

We'd need a moderator or two.
LOL or twenty. :D

That's a lotta crock pots........

astrid

:lol::lol:

How would banning work? Would the offending party be sent for a time-out? :lol:

hehehehehe Maybe they would be sent "outside the camp" for 24 hours? Ah, who am I kidding, ya'll won't want to have a Latin flavored Kibbutz in warm Florida anyway. Nobody likes it here except me. :p

I'd love it. I didn't know this about you! What do you play?

Me, piano, guitar and if you're really really nice, I might get out my dad's banjo.

Dh, guitar and some uke and mandolin

Ds, guitar, but he's really a drummer at heart.

We all sing.

Oh wouldn't that be great! I'm a nurse, every place needs one of those. DH used to be a truck driver and has his cdl. He grew up farming and raising crops so he can help with raising food. He is also a carpenter. He can build everything in a house but the plumbing and HVAC. My DH and kids are crazy about baseball/softball. DH coaches both. Put us down for the southern branch :D

Yes, lots of barn dances. We are also a musical family, so bring your gear and we'll jam.

ds plays drums well (Piano, not so well)

We all sing.

As long as it is a group with diversity and respect for that diversity I am all in. :D I would love a fun place where there were lots of people for the kids to learn from, and lots of different POV's for them to learn about.

I am good with teenagers, especially when they are being unreasonable.

I am also turning out to be pretty good at growing indoor plant life during winter months.

Can foreigners join in? I would emigrate in a heartbeat As long as it was somewhere warm and somewhere it doesn't rain constantly for nine months of the year like it does here.

I can do lots of crafts and we could run a drama club with our experience, maybe get together all the musical types and dance types and put on community shows. Plus I am good at fixing stuff and great with animals and plants so happy to help farm.

Hey Hive, we don't have to start our own commune, there is already a perfectly wonderful one started.

OUR FEARLESS LEADER AND HER HUSBAND HAVE A LARGE FARM!!! :lol:

Orchards, sheep, horses, chickens, gardens, B & B, room for SWB's lectures, Peter has a local church for those of us in need of spiritual sustenance...

IT'S THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY! :biggrinjester:

Oh Susan, are you out there??????? Get ready, the campers are about to converge! :lol:

We'll use Mariann's place for our communal vacation. :D

Faith

Can I stay in the Bed and Breakfast? I gave up camping...I can quilt, cook, and grow tomatoes.

Hey Hive, we don't have to start our own commune, there is already a perfectly wonderful one started.

Orchards, sheep, horses, chickens, gardens, B & B, room for SWB's lectures, Peter has a local church for those of us in need of spiritual sustenance...

Oh Susan, are you out there??????? Get ready, the campers are about to converge! :lol:

Faith

That's a fun thought. I have no particular special skills, but I like to have hordes of pre schoolers around playing play dough, fingerpainting, making volcanoes, and all sorts of other messy play. That's not very useful, every mom does that!

DH would need to be near the oilfields for work too....well, darn. Great idea though!

I STINK at that. You can totally have my preschoolers during the day. :lol:

I'm down with moving to Canada. Absolutely. Just not Quebec.

This wouldn't work for me. I like to be alone.

On the other hand, it would be like having family. I don't have much family. So that part would be nice.

I like alone time too. If people come this way we have lots of trails through the trees and quiet places to go.:D It's not hard to find places out here where no other human is going to be.

I grew up in sort of communal living. Small group of missionaries out in the middle of nowhere Africa. Some of it is wonderful, truly family, but with family comes bickering and irritation and arguing about how best to do things.

Something about living in a fishbowl growing up is why I chose Los Angeles as my home for 20 years (before DH talked me into moving.) I could be my own person without judgement and if there was judgement, I could find new friends! :lol:

This wouldn't work for me. I like to be alone.

On the other hand, it would be like having family. I don't have much family. So that part would be nice.

I grew up in sort of communal living. Small group of missionaries out in the middle of nowhere Africa. Some of it is wonderful, truly family, but with family comes bickering and irritation and arguing about how best to do things.

Something about living in a fishbowl growing up is why I chose Los Angeles as my home for 20 years (before DH talked me into moving.) I could be my own person without judgement and if there was judgement, I could find new friends! :lol:

Which is precisely why my mind immediately went to kerfluffles and kilts! :D

If there's a cult compound in the making, it needs to be a proper one with a strict dress code. Pants/trousers only for the women; kilts for the men; and burkhas for the teenagers, male or female.

Dh can explain the difference between modus ponens and modus tollens ... patiently ... several different ways ... repeatedly each semester.... That's gotta be good enough to get fed, right?

Lailasmum, I think Texas would fill your weather conditions.

That's a fun thought. I have no particular special skills, but I like to have hordes of pre schoolers around playing play dough, fingerpainting, making volcanoes, and all sorts of other messy play. That's not very useful, every mom does that!

Oh my goodness- you just listed out the very things I DESPISE and rarely did with my children! That *is* a special skill!

When a fellow homeschooler at my (then new) church called me up to ask me to work with AWANA Sparks (K-2nd grade) I didn't even give her the "Let me pray about it and I'll get back to you" line. I actually had to restrain myself from saying "He!! no! What are you, #&$*ing crazy?"

For the record, I love small children individually, but large hordes of other people's young children just doesn't work for me.

I'll go supervise the teen dance socials, OK?

Faith

LOL could you imagine Susan's face if we all showed up one day. :p Poor woman! hehehe