Menu

Why don't we just start our own community?

We should pitch in and buy a huge parcel of land somewhere (where hsing is lightly regulated) and help each other out.

I just read about Prairiebird having to send her children to PS since her DH is unemployed. A dear friend of mine here in Colo is living with her parent so they can HS during tough financial times.

I would love to have other like minded people around.

We could have organic produce and meats and share curriculum and watch each others children.

We could combine our specialties (nurses and vet techs and piano teachers).

Just like the old hippie communities of the 60's (except better) we could have a community of homeschoolers.

**sigh**

Lara

We should pitch in and buy a huge parcel of land somewhere (where hsing is lightly regulated) and help each other out.

I just read about Prairiebird having to send her children to PS since her DH is unemployed. A dear friend of mine here in Colo is living with her parent so they can HS during tough financial times.

We could have organic produce and meats and share curriculum and watch each others children.

Just like the old hippie communities of the 60's (except better) we could have a community of homeschoolers.

**sigh**

Lara

Wow! That sounds heavenly. When people lived like that, life was better.

Co-housing only seems to work when all the residents share very similar values. We were invited to a meeting discussing forming a co-housing community with some other homeschoolers but while I liked the other families, I knew that trying to live with them would drive us nuts. :tongue_smilie:

Now if there were a co-housing for "crunchy cons", that might be something we'd be interested in.

Have you seen the movie...I think it was "The Village." it was awesome.

I loved that movie. My best friend and I joke all the time that we need to set that up. I'd bring the whole thing down though... I need internet. :D

I'm up for a community. I would also need my own home with my family but we could build a giant community center with recreation facilities, a big eating area and kitchen, study and hangout areas.

**sigh**

Lara

Dh and I talk about doing that all the time with the farm. In the good weather (i.e. winter, i.e. October to May), it's like a commune here half the time anyway, with friends, relatives and others hanging about -- some in their campers, some in tents, some in the house.

I said to dh yesterday that I need to take a morning roll call just to know how many to feed. He said that would be great for him too because he's not even sure who the heck is staying from day to day. :lol:

What is nice is that, even though this past year has been quite tight for us personally, and even though I'd never ask a guest to feed themselves, our hippie-buddies always seem to make food appear from nowhere, so everyone's always got plenty to share and plenty to eat. Plus, all of sudden we've got a LOT of farmhands!!

I really appreciate good friends.

ETA: Re: your list.... our farm is certified organic, and if we make it through the next year of paperwork, the beef and pork will be, too. :D

Edited by Audrey

Dh and I talk about doing that all the time with the farm. In the good weather (i.e. winter, i.e. October to May), it's like a commune here half the time anyway, with friends, relatives and others hanging about -- some in their campers, some in tents, some in the house.

I said to dh yesterday that I need to take a morning roll call just to know how many to feed. He said that would be great for him too because he's not even sure who the heck is staying from day to day. :lol:

What is nice is that, even though this past year has been quite tight for us personally, and even though I'd never ask a guest to feed themselves, our hippie-buddies always seem to make food appear from nowhere, so everyone's always got plenty to share and plenty to eat. I really appreciate good friends.

:001_smile: That's the best way. Everyone chipping in and just making it happen. I love that!

Faith

....We could have organic produce and meats and share curriculum and watch each others children.

Lara

As long as we can have RC cola & Oreos along with the healthy food, I'm in! :D

I'm in as long as it is some place warm and we each have our own separate abode (sorry, I can't do communal housing). But i would totally do communal meals!

:iagree:

Let's see: I'm a hairdresser, I can also do nails & waxing.

DH is a computer guy.

Diamond can teach dance classes- Tap, Ballet, Lyrical, HipHop, Ballroom, Liturgical

SweetChild can start the Volleyball team, plus help out with dance- esp. Tap & Ballroom.

babyBaby can teach Karate- she actually already does- ages 4-adults!

I'm a young-earth conservative Christian who enjoys sharing with and learning from all types...

I think we'd have to have two. A northern and a southern homeschool hippy commune.

I'm in up north.

I'm good for volunteering in the kitchen, vegetable gardens, feed chickens/goats/cattle, and helping with tutoring or a coop. But definitely have to have my own space/yurt/adobe hut. ;)

As long as we can have RC cola & Oreos along with the healthy food, I'm in! :D

Let's see: I'm a hairdresser, I can also do nails & waxing.

DH is a computer guy.

Diamond can teach dance classes- Tap, Ballet, Lyrical, HipHop, Ballroom, Liturgical

SweetChild can start the Volleyball team, plus help out with dance- esp. Tap & Ballroom.

babyBaby can teach Karate- she actually already does- ages 4-adults!

I'm a young-earth conservative Christian who enjoys sharing with and learning from all types...

And Hershey's Nuggets with almonds and Ghiardellis. :) I can teach music and my dh is a computer guy too. My dd is a writer and graphic novelist. She can provide books to read. :) I can also help in the kitchen. I'm a fair cook. :)

I'll work in the library!

DH is in aviation maintenance, but he could fix cars and stuff, too!

My oldest could tutor Advanced Video Games, lol. They both love baseball, so we'd help with the sports pantry. :)

Put me down for the south branch. :D

I will exchange Japanese language lessons for housecleaning services. Ds would love to help with everyone's technology needs. Dh is an RN and a pastor depending on whether you need healing for the body or the soul. Dd will teach younger kids gymnastics and will train your dogs.

If she can train my dog not to pee on the couch so we could actually allow him out of the laundry room I will clean your house every week and bake cookies every Sunday!

If she can train my dog not to pee on the couch so we could actually allow him out of the laundry room I will clean your house every week and bake cookies every Sunday!

you teach my two not to pee on the floor and I will teach yours not to pee on the couch

Oh, and I will can...I will dehydrate...I will quilt...I will teach science, science, science, and more science, and will be responsible for our children knowing how to build 9 ft rockets that fly a mile and carry a scientific payload section, I will teach algebra, geometry, algebra 2, and pre-calc, I will diagram sentences with your kids, and make them think that Tessla was the greatest genius that ever lived. BUT

I WILL NOT GARDEN OR TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOUSE PLANTS!

I kill ALL things green. If you've ever seen the show, "Red Dwarf", you'll understand the following:

"Every plant is dead, Dave." "What about the violet?" "The violet is dead Dave. Every plant is dead, Dave." "All the plants are dead?" "Yes Dave, every plant is dead." "Even the petunias?" "Yes Dave, the petunias are dead, Dave. Every plant is dead Dave. All the plants are dead, Dave!"

So, just keep that in mind when you are doling out responsibilities within the colony! :D

Faith

I would totally want to do something like that. My best friend thought long and hard about buying a property with a second home on it so that my family could live there, too. It didn't happen yet, but we can still dream.

But I probably couldn't live in your commune, because all I know how to do is teach, so... that kind of goes against having a homeschooling group, right?

What is nice is that, even though this past year has been quite tight for us personally, and even though I'd never ask a guest to feed themselves, our hippie-buddies always seem to make food appear from nowhere, so everyone's always got plenty to share and plenty to eat. Plus, all of sudden we've got a LOT of farmhands!!

I really appreciate good friends.

ETA: Re: your list.... our farm is certified organic, and if we make it through the next year of paperwork, the beef and pork will be, too. :D

:drool5::drool5::drool5::001_wub: Where are you?? I feel a road trip is needed... (I come with an rv)....

you teach my two not to pee on the floor and I will teach yours not to pee on the couch

:lol::lol:

Robin in nj

That's a fun thought. I have no particular special skills, but I like to have hordes of pre schoolers around playing play dough, fingerpainting, making volcanoes, and all sorts of other messy play. That's not very useful, every mom does that!

DH would need to be near the oilfields for work too....well, darn. Great idea though!

That's a fun thought. I have no particular special skills, but I like to have hordes of pre schoolers around playing play dough, fingerpainting, making volcanoes, and all sorts of other messy play. That's not very useful, every mom does that!

DH would need to be near the oilfields for work too....well, darn. Great idea though!

You see..... I hate doing that!! My children really missed the momma boat on that one!

I vote we go up to Audrey's. Everybody in America seems to be a little cranky right now. (I mean everybody, including me.) Let's go be organic farmers on a homeschooling kibbutz in Canada.

DH is an electrician and generally very handy, also he plays nicely with others, so he should be an asset. I'll try to get him to wear a kilt now and then. What else is my family good for...hmm...we can teach folk music (guitar, dulcimer, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and old-time and bluegrass singing). We'll be having barn dances, right?

We could all buy land in southern DE. There's plenty of cheap farm land and all we have to report is number of days attendance.

Dh is an artist and I could teach math and logic. We'd pitch in on the farm too. All organic is good for me.

When do we start?

No way! That is really useful. I am so NOT a preschool play mom! You can entertain my 3-y/o anytime!