Menu

Venting about CYA doctors

I have a skin condition that is a bit odd. My derm won't give me the pill I need because I'm nursing. It is listed as L2 in Hale's book. Doesn't matter. He will only give me a steroid cream that hasn't helped me yet. He nearly choked when I told him that I'd be nursing for 2 years :glare:.

I have a skin condition that is a bit odd. My derm won't give me the pill I need because I'm nursing. It is listed as L2 in Hale's book. Doesn't matter. He will only give me a steroid cream that hasn't helped me yet. He nearly choked when I told him that I'd be nursing for 2 years :glare:.

Have you tried an elimination diet?

I just looked it up. The medicine I need is approved by the AAP for nursing mothers. My derm says, "It isn't worth the risk". I am welcome to make an appointment to discuss it with him though :glare:. A$$hat.

Bet its his insurer and not the doctor. And unfortunately even a waiver of liability isn't likely to help. Are there any medications which might help which aren't on the Hale's list?

Christine

Can you see another dermatologist? Are there other shorter-acting (more quickly eliminated0 forms of the drug?

Is the drug prescribed for children? I remember when I was a breastfeeding counselor that some moms were told they had to suffer through a headache without a single Tylenol, but were told to give their babies Tylenol for teething, vax, & fever!

Has your derm. read the entire page in the Hale book? What about the page that says the only drugs that are completely incompatible with breastfeeding are radioactive cancer treatments? (Been a few years- don't take those as medical advice- just an encouragement to read the book to your doc.)

Can you get an IBCLC involved? Someone who can advocate for you? Have you looked up your steroid cream in Hale's book? Wait- maybe you better not or s/he won't let you use that anymore either. :glare:

Good luck! :grouphug: