Menu

Stupid infant medicine!!

My 3-month-old has an ear infection and a fever. Dr tells me to give her Tylenol.

I bought the stuff that has written ALL OVER the box in BIG LETTERS "0-36 Months".

Dosing information for anyone under 2?? Call your doctor!! Are you freaking kidding me??

:iagree:

And yeah, Dr Sears has charts. In his The Baby Book

he even calls for a pox on the heads on those manufacturers who refuse to put dosing info on the box.

:lol:

Didn't Tylenol dosing recs change recently? I'd look to make sure you get the most up-to-date dosing info. If your doc isn't available, pharmacists often know more than the docs about dosing.

It's the concentration that changed. The infant drops used to be more concentrated so you could give a smaller amount but higher dosage. People were giving too much and causing overdoses so now the infant and children's versions are the same concentrations. My 16lb 3month old get 2.5ml of the new version where before he would have gotten less than 1ml.

When dd was a baby her ped gave me a list of all the meds babies/toddlers could have and the correct doses. It was right around the time that they started with the "don't give babies any meds ever" stuff. I have held on tight to that list. The meds that babies/toddlers have been taking for decades didn't change, just the recommendations. I don't need a doctor to tell me to give my child tylenol for a fever or benadryl for sniffles.

Sorry, didn't know that would turn into a rant. :rant:

When dd was a baby her ped gave me a list of all the meds babies/toddlers could have and the correct doses. It was right around the time that they started with the "don't give babies any meds ever" stuff. I have held on tight to that list. The meds that babies/toddlers have been taking for decades didn't change, just the recommendations. I don't need a doctor to tell me to give my child tylenol for a fever or benadryl for sniffles.

Sorry, didn't know that would turn into a rant. :rant:

:iagree:

It's the concentration that changed. The infant drops used to be more concentrated so you could give a smaller amount but higher dosage. People were giving too much and causing overdoses so now the infant and children's versions are the same concentrations. My 16lb 3month old get 2.5ml of the new version where before he would have gotten less than 1ml.

No I meant [well, I mean, that is likely the case too] that the recommended total daily does of acetometiphan[sp?] changed in the last couple years, which impacted the amount given every 4-6 hours. That may not have impacted children's dosing though, I dunno.

Carrie, as far as I know from my sister [a pharmacist and mother] it is weight, but for a younger baby, they might go with the lower dose as a precaution.

Melissa, did you find out what you needed?

Carrie, as far as I know from my sister [a pharmacist and mother] it is weight, but for a younger baby, they might go with the lower dose as a precaution.

That makes sense. On one hand, I thought it seemed dumb to think my 31lb kid would need less than a 24lb kid (if I'm remembering the label correctly) but it also seemed irresponsible to ignore the "under 2 years" part for a 19 month old! I'm glad I asked the pharmacist instead of just going with weight.

FWIW she calculated 3.75mL vs. the 5 for ages 2 and up.