Menu

UPDATE on DD13...Our MD says it probably wasn't pneumonia.....

Glad to hear you stuck by your Mom Instincts and got your dd what she needed.

One thing -- when she takes the doxycyclene, make sure she takes it with a full glass of water and doesn't lie down for at least 30 minutes afterward. When I had Lyme, I once took the doxy right before bed with a few swallows of water, and ended up with a very painful burned esophagus, which took a few weeks to heal. (In the meantime, I was at the doctor for the severe chest pains... and thankfully he figured out what had happened, because it really felt like I was having a heart attack or something!)

Also, doxy can bother your stomach, so it's a good idea to take it with some food.

I don't mean to scare you with my esophagus story -- I was on doxy for a LONG time and only had the problem once, and only because I didn't realize I needed to drink more water and not lie down right away. I just didn't want your dd to make the same stupid mistake I did.

She is extremely tired, joints sore, no appetite but thankfully no headache. I am praying that a few days on the doxy and she will feel better.:)

Poor kiddo. :grouphug::grouphug: Our dd has tight chest and breathing issues with her Lyme, we were just in the ER with bronchospasms last week. Hoping your dd feels better on the doxy soon. I know you don't need the probiotic reminder but here is is anyway.

Glad you guys got the right diagnosis. Lyme is so tricky. I hope dd is feeling better soon and back to herself. Lyme is so awful. We have been thrilled that we do not have to be so fearful of it here in CO. It was such an epidemic when we were in PA. Anyway, tell her we are thinking of her and hope she is feeling better.

Separate note: my parents will officially be Coloradians August 20. So thrilled!!! Will you guys ever be out here :)

One thing -- when she takes the doxycyclene, make sure she takes it with a full glass of water and doesn't lie down for at least 30 minutes afterward.

Also, doxy can bother your stomach, so it's a good idea to take it with some food.

:iagree:

Also, be aware that depression and anxiety can be a side effect of taking this drug. My dd's took it for malaria prophylaxis when they went to India. They both experienced these symptoms to some extent. They still needed to take the drug, but it would have been helpful to know WHY they were experiencing those symptoms.

I just realized I forgot something -- make sure she's eating yogurt or taking acidophilus, because without them, she could end up with a nasty yeast infection from taking the doxycyclene.

I'm sure you already knew that, but I know it's easy to forget about it when you get that kind of diagnosis and you're still sort of stunned about the whole thing, so that's why I thought I'd mention it.

One thing -- when she takes the doxycyclene, make sure she takes it with a full glass of water and doesn't lie down for at least 30 minutes afterward. When I had Lyme, I once took the doxy right before bed with a few swallows of water, and ended up with a very painful burned esophagus, which took a few weeks to heal. (In the meantime, I was at the doctor for the severe chest pains... and thankfully he figured out what had happened, because it really felt like I was having a heart attack or something!)

I don't mean to scare you with my esophagus story -- I was on doxy for a LONG time and only had the problem once, and only because I didn't realize I needed to drink more water and not lie down right away. I just didn't want your dd to make the same stupid mistake I did.

I'm assuming you got the full set of instructions on timing and food combinations (including the not lying down) from the doc? Same pita as taking tetracycline. And be sure she wears a great sunscreen as it will increase sun sensitivity. Add some probiotics, too.

On the upside, she will have a lovely complexion. :D

Good call, mama, hope she feels better soon.

:grouphug::grouphug: Mariann, Dh started his doxy today. The only reason this Michigander knew she had to get her husband treated ASAP - pre-symptomatic thank goodness but the bull's eye rash had begun - was because of your posts about Lyme's struggles.

I'm really very sorry that your dd is going through this. It seems like every time you turn around, you are dealing with Lyme's. However, I am eternally grateful that you've posted about dealing with the disease and my dh is likely to be okay because of your timely information.

Faith

I'm assuming you got the full set of instructions on timing and food combinations (including the not lying down) from the doc? Same pita as taking tetracycline. And be sure she wears a great sunscreen as it will increase sun sensitivity. Add some probiotics, too.

I'm glad you mentioned the sunscreen -- I'd forgotten about that!!! :001_smile:

Glad you guys got the right diagnosis. Lyme is so tricky. I hope dd is feeling better soon and back to herself. Lyme is so awful. We have been thrilled that we do not have to be so fearful of it here in CO. It was such an epidemic when we were in PA. Anyway, tell her we are thinking of her and hope she is feeling better.

Separate note: my parents will officially be Coloradians August 20. So thrilled!!! Will you guys ever be out here :)

We will have to plan something -- dh is actually in aspen right now -- he arrived earlier today and returns home on saturday.

Now that we are in the house, i would like to start visiting friends.:001_smile:

I hope she will be feeling better soon. :grouphug:

As tough as all this has been, I'm so glad that she's finally getting the proper treatment. (Psst. Can you guys wear tick collars or something?;))[/QUOTE]

FUNNY!!!! LOL!!!!! Only if can find really stylish ones at nordstrom's rack.

Poor kiddo. :grouphug: Our dd has tight chest and breathing issues with her Lyme, we were just in the ER with bronchospasms last week. Hoping your dd feels better on the doxy soon. I know you don't need the probiotic reminder but here is is anyway.

:iagree:

Also, be aware that depression and anxiety can be a side effect of taking this drug. My dd's took it for malaria prophylaxis when they went to India. They both experienced these symptoms to some extent. They still needed to take the drug, but it would have been helpful to know WHY they were experiencing those symptoms.

I just realized I forgot something -- make sure she's eating yogurt or taking acidophilus, because without them, she could end up with a nasty yeast infection from taking the doxycyclene.

I'm sure you already knew that, but I know it's easy to forget about it when you get that kind of diagnosis and you're still sort of stunned about the whole thing, so that's why I thought I'd mention it.

:grouphug: Mariann, Dh started his doxy today. The only reason this Michigander knew she had to get her husband treated ASAP - pre-symptomatic thank goodness but the bull's eye rash had begun - was because of your posts about Lyme's struggles.

I'm really very sorry that your dd is going through this. It seems like every time you turn around, you are dealing with Lyme's. However, I am eternally grateful that you've posted about dealing with the disease and my dh is likely to be okay because of your timely information.

Faith

AWWWW, thank you.

So sorry!!!:grouphug:

I'm glad you mentioned the sunscreen -- I'd forgotten about that!!!

You guys are the best!!!! I had forgotten about the not lying down part and i will remind her. everything else I know by heart -- and i didn't know about the depression and anxiety so now i know about that.

Sheesh --I would try to say something funny about our family having a BIG RED L on our foreheads, but it's really kind of sad.

Oh, and just for the cherry on the sundae :glare:, the puppy still has a yeast infection in his ear. So the vet is trying a different ear drop and he vomited all over the front seat of the van (poor thing) on the way home -- I think the vet poking and cleaning his ear upset his stomach.

Buy the tick collars. Send them to me, and I will Project Runway them up!

As tough as all this has been, I'm so glad that she's finally getting the proper treatment. (Psst. Can you guys wear tick collars or something?;))[/QUOTE]

FUNNY!!!! LOL!!!!! Only if can find really stylish ones at nordstrom's rack.

AWWWW, thank you.

You guys are the best!!!! I had forgotten about the not lying down part and i will remind her. everything else I know by heart -- and i didn't know about the depression and anxiety so now i know about that.

Sheesh --I would try to say something funny about our family having a BIG RED L on our foreheads, but it's really kind of sad.

Oh, and just for the cherry on the sundae :glare:, the puppy still has a yeast infection in his ear. So the vet is trying a different ear drop and he vomited all over the front seat of the van (poor thing) on the way home -- I think the vet poking and cleaning his ear upset his stomach.