Menu

Houses that look like castles

:confused::confused::confused:

We have three mcmansion type homes in our area that have been built to look like castles. I don't get it :001_huh:. Don't get me wrong, if you have the money and you want your suburban neighborhood house to look like a fairy tale castle.... okay. But it always leaves me scratching my head.

Are there castles sprouting up in your neck of the woods?

Meredith

I love houses that are built to look like castles. My dd does, too. There's a castle in Mt. Airy, MD, not far from us. That is dd's "dream home." :001_smile:

It's just a style, like Tudor or Craftsman or Mediterranean. Some people like Chateauesque.

This was near where we used to live. It's not in a neighborhood and you could barely see it from the road, but yes, I'd have a castle if I could. :D

Click on photos then grounds to see better pictures of the outside.

Building a castle in a neighborhood seems kind of well, defeating the point of having a castle, no near neighbors.

There's one in our little neighborhood. It isn't a McMansion, and I would guess that it was built in the '70's (just from the general age of the surrounding houses, and the size of it), but it looks an awful lot like a Disneyland castle facade. My younger girls desperately want to live in it. I guess some grownup did, too.

I would also add that if you do intend to build a castle (or any other supersized McMansion) please make sure your lot size complements said huge house. Nothing looks sillier than a Great Biggo House smushed into teensy lot. If you can't spring for a proper double or triple lot, then you can't really afford the house.

When you have a whole neighborhood of over sized Great Biggo Houses crammed right up against each other, it looks like some sort of bizarre low-income housing project on steroids. I don't think that was the effect they were hoping for.

I would also add that if you do intend to build a castle (or any other supersized McMansion) please make sure your lot size complements said huge house. Nothing looks sillier than a Great Biggo House smushed into teensy lot. If you can't spring for a proper double or triple lot, then you can't really afford the house.

When you have a whole neighborhood of over sized Great Biggo Houses crammed right up against each other, it looks like some sort of bizarre low-income housing project on steroids. I don't think that was the effect they were hoping for.

Eh, it isn't my thing at all, but there are people who really do not want much yard to take care of. I don't think it is always an issue of what people can or can't afford.

I live in the Philadelphia area so there are lots of old houses that look like castles.

We want one with a tower room, but we always fight over who would get it. Four towers might be a bit much.

I agree w/the poster who said huge house on tiny lot looks silly. We saw that a lot when we lived in Oregon (Portland area).

I think it can look nice if you have a good handle on that kind of architecture, but a lot of them end up looking like gaudy monstrosities. Subtlety is key when you're building your very own castle. ;)

:iagree: Love a really well done castle, but honestly, most of them make me sad. They seem like little kids playing dress up and look odd.

I always understood that word to indicate large, new, homes that have that generic feel of "track houses" but with more square footage. So a mcmansion might be in a planned neighborhood where the houses are all ostentatiously similar and on lots too small for them.

So in my mind, a house built to look like a castle would likely be custom build, and therefore not a McMansion. Which would not rescue it from being tacky, of course.

Maybe I don't know what a McMansion really is though.

I live in the Philadelphia area so there are lots of old houses that look like castles.

We want one with a tower room, but we always fight over who would get it. Four towers might be a bit much.

I agree w/the poster who said huge house on tiny lot looks silly. We saw that a lot when we lived in Oregon (Portland area).

With a tower room you could always threaten to use it for time outs. After all of the Disney movies and fairy tales out there with towers your children would probably avoid it like the plague. Then you could a have your own secret mommy retreat!:D

:lol: Where we live, you see a lot of this on the lakeshore lots. In some cases, the houses are turned at strange angles so they could cram the whole thing onto the lot. And most, of course, also have the completely pointless gate at the end of the driveway that says, "I'm so important my house is its own gated community."

We have this here in Sacramento. Here's the google view of it. Its just something odd to see driving down the 80. Other than that, I don't know of any castle like houses around here. Its trashy in the actual sense not the style.

We also have a roller rink that is decked out in medieval theme, I love it. We're kind of big on Ren Faires here, heh.

I do like the look of castles, and would love to spend time in one.

This is what's happening in our suburb. It's ridiculous. I can't understand why the city lets them build like that.

I've always wanted to live in a REAL castle, specifically this one.

My daughter took classes at The Arts Castle in Delaware, OH. I thought it was a great use of the building. I couldn't find really good pictures, but here's a link. http://www.foct.org/projects.html

The tower has a spiral staircase that they've turned into a gallery. The room off the porch is a library. They have art and dance classes upstairs. I'm still bummed that I never got to one of the building tours. It would have been so cool.

Jennifer

There are a lot of McMansions in the nearby neighborhoods. They used to be 1M to 1.5M but now are mostly under $1M

However, there are some that are not part of a neighborhood and are on 10 acres, etc...that are huge and still over $1M, some much more than that.

One looks like a French Chateau and is beautiful.

I love the castle-houses! I wouldn't want to own one, but I would love to be good friends with someone who did. ;)

This one is about 15 minutes from me.

Ok, I actually kind of like that one. To me, it doesn't look gaudy - just like a big old house with a bit of a 'castle-ish' feel. :) I would live there. :D

I like the cottage-y feel a little more. All the houses that DH and I find ourselves liking just from driving by are like that.

Depends on where you live. With our ground running about $450,000 per 6000 sq. ft. (yes!), and our tax assessments largely built into land value, one can definitely afford the house and maybe the ground under it (first lot). That second lot? Just might bankrupt you, given how our taxes are going up. And up.

We are a city at the ocean. It's not suburbia. We don't pretend to be little lords on our manors. ;)

My house was built in 1871, and some of the pics the realtor took make it look like a castle - especially looking up at the tower from right below on the ground. So it's not a new trend, I guess....

I love that! What is in the "tower" portion?

turrets are big in our area. I was rather startled when we moved here last year and kept seeing houses in subdivisions with turrets! Granted the houses are much more expensive than what we could afford and there are no turrets in our subdivision. But, many,many houses in the area have such things.

I love turrets. I love castles. I NEED a castle to go with my tiara I seem to have misplaced.

Actually, I'm probably more of a palace kind of girl, but if that's not possible, a castle will do.

Sure, I can see it being a bit overkill, if one isn't careful. But a well-placed turret here and there, with a large arched doorway and a big arched wood door, with a moat swimming pool and a slide going into said moat---the Queen and Princesses here would heartily approve.;)

Then you could a have your own secret mommy retreat!:D

:lol:

Exactly!

"Mommy is going to lock herself in the turret now! Only when Daddy comes home and shouts the secret code word will Mommy let down her long hair and come out! Until then, pray the moat keeps evil at bay!"

:lol:

I love that! What is in the "tower" portion?

Nothing! Actually a folding chair & conch shell - both came with the house when we bought it 14 years ago. :tongue_smilie: There's no insulation up there, and windows on all 4 walls, so it gets hot in summer & cold in winter - not especially pleasant for a reading nook or anything. The kids do like to play up there, and cousins & friends think it's super cool.

Nothing! Actually a folding chair & conch shell - both came with the house when we bought it 14 years ago. :tongue_smilie: There's no insulation up there, and windows on all 4 walls, so it gets hot in summer & cold in winter - not especially pleasant for a reading nook or anything. The kids do like to play up there, and cousins & friends think it's super cool.

Oh, what a let-down. ;) It looks really cool.

Oh, what a let-down. ;) It looks really cool.

I know - I feel like I'm not living up to this house. :tongue_smilie: Apparently it's higher than mosquitoes fly, so people would open all the windows & hang out up there in the summer, instead of on the porch or balcony. I may try that someday.....

Okay, I know this thread is a couple of days old, but dh and I have been looking at houses recently and this one popped up as one of our options. Sadly, with $6k/yr in property taxes, it's a little out of our price range but I LOL'd when I saw the listing and knew I had to share it here. :tongue_smilie:

The architecture is actually kind of bizarre, but I don't care. Hello, round room!

Okay, I know this thread is a couple of days old, but dh and I have been looking at houses recently and this one popped up as one of our options. Sadly, with $6k/yr in property taxes, it's a little out of our price range but I LOL'd when I saw the listing and knew I had to share it here. :tongue_smilie:

The architecture is actually kind of bizarre, but I don't care. Hello, round room!

Cool!

You'd think they'd have updated the kitchen. I can't imagine the kitchen wenches and scullery maids would be happy working in such a small, dark space.

I agree... it looks silly to have those big houses where you can practically reach out the window and touch your neighbor's house. Although while I do love the mansion in Mt. Airy (don't live far from there either), but I wouldn't want acreage. I lived on 1.5 acres for nearly 20years and it was too much for me. I'd only want that much land again if it was wooded with a creek running through. :001_smile:

We have one in our neighborhood. We call it Hagar's House in honor of Hagar the Horrible. It is ugly. My friend, who lives next to it, suffered for an entire year of their tear-down, reconstruction. She almost lost her garage and part of her driveway because they didn't shore up the excavation properly. Also, she has marshy areas of her yard because of the enlarged footprint of that house (and that they took out most of the beautiful mature trees. I almost bought the house that was there before, but they wanted too much for it for all the work we would have needed to do. They ended up selling it to a developer for less than we would have offered. Ticks me off.

There is a bizarre one not too far from me. It looks like it started as a regular styled ranch home, and then the owners started creating a castle like look with cinder blocks. Really strange looking.