Menu

Disorder of written expression

Both the "Paragraph Book" series and "Writing Skills" series are good for kids who need the writing process broken down into bite-sized, manageable chunks and then built upon.

Verticy uses "Writing Skills" in their writing program for students with language-based learning differences. It's pricey, but after doing book A on our own, I'm strongly considering using Verticy this year.

I believe IEW has also worked for some kids. My dd enjoyed it in the beginning, but it ended up being too much reading and vocab. for her to handle. It is explicit and breaks down the steps well, though.

HTH,

I really dont know how to express how helpful this board is to me. We had to go through a lot to get our dx and our dr was helpful but didnt give me the 'common words' for these offical dx. I just put together that the math part is what everyone calls dyscalculia and was wondering about the written expression part. All the books, workshops forums refer to dyslexia, dysgraphia and I didnt want to be adding titles that were not true but they seemed to fit what I was dealing with! Thank you ladies.

My 7 yo has it. I am still in the learning stages of how to work with it. The biggest thing that is working for us is to clearly separate handwriting practice from writing composition. I have been scribing stories for him. For handwriting practice, I have him copy and/or write on Bright Lines paper which helps a lot. We've also done some FLL minus the actual writing part.

Anybody have a child with this diagnosis? Just wondering what you are doing for writing.

Yes. (And some or many with dyslexia also have this as a component.) We've tried many things ... many help...a little. I hope eventually something will be the helps a lot thing...or that all the little bits will add up and become a lot.

My ds is dysgraphic and dyslexic. He has completed Read, Write, Type and can type fairly well for his age (he is slow but that's to be expected). I scribe most of math and he tells me what to write. I also scribe his writing and grammar workbooks. He does take dictation as part of spelling which is pretty much his only handwriting, but his letter formation is strong, just slow.

For writing composition, we are beginning Step up to Writing, and the sentence work so far has been great. I didn't realize he was such a good writer when the physical act of writing is taken away.

My daughter tested as borderline for dysgraphia. We used Writing Skills when she was learning to write sentences and paragraphs, and then we moved to IEW. Her willingness to write improved tremendously with IEW, because it took much of the "guess work" out of writing. Next time she is tested, she may not qualify as dysgraphia, because her composition skills are so strong. Spelling and handwriting, though, are :tongue_smilie:.

You said that you; 'just put together that the math part is what everyone calls dyscalculia.'

But Dyscalculia is the result of a Spatial thinking difficulty.

Where numbers are concieved of with spatial thinking.

But spatial thinking is also what we use to organize our thought and ideas.

So that the effect of spatial thinking difficulties on written expression?

Is that while the thoughts and ideas are in the mind, their is a difficulty with organizing them into fluent expression.

So the question is whether Spatial thinking is the underlying issue?

Where the most effective approach, is to visually organize thoughts, which can then be used as guide.

Anybody have a child with this diagnosis? Just wondering what you are doing for writing.

DS was diagnosed with dysgraphia at the beginning of 2nd grade. I scribed for him and ultimately taught him to type when he was in the 5th grade. For composing, DS used character and story webs to jot down his thoughts. We covered outlining and he will be taking an IEW course with an O-G tutor in a couple of weeks.

DS has used Dragon text to speech software, a NEO portable word processor, and a netbook computer. He never saw an OT until recently, and I regret that. If insurance will cover it, consider taking your child to an OT.