Menu

Thinking of switching to Samaritan Ministries from insurance, thoughts?

Not to be snarky, but just pray your child never has the need for rehab. Addiction is seen as a lifestyle choice, not a disease, and nothing for it is covered. We fit every single requirement of Samaritan, but couldn't join. I'm glad it works for some, but I sure wish they'd be compassionate to the children of the members.

Does normal insurance cover rehab? (Honestly curious--I assumed it didn't.) And if Samaritain doesn't cover ANY mental health services, it doesn't seem like a slam only against addicts. We can't use it because dh and dd both need ADD meds and those aren't covered, and that's not religion-based.

Does normal insurance cover rehab? (Honestly curious--I assumed it didn't.) And if Samaritain doesn't cover ANY mental health services, it doesn't seem like a slam only against addicts. We can't use it because dh and dd both need ADD meds and those aren't covered, and that's not religion-based.

Some insurance does cover some rehab--many private rehabs don't take insurance, though. One of the places we have experience with did not take insurance, but the insurance agreed to pay for the place by reimbursement.

Creekland said

Close friends of mine are going through this now with their college aged son. Their insurance is covering next to nothing leaving them with thousands of dollars in loans. They get their insurance through their work, so at least they haven't been paying for it (their workplace has), but it sure hasn't saved them much.

Another friend was just informed that he will need to pay hundreds of dollars monthly (almost $600) just for one ongoing treatment his son needs and he is supposedly covered by insurance through his employer.

Insurance is not the be all, end all, either.

(Sorry, I don't know how to properly multiquote)

It's not so much that I think insurance is the be all, end all, it's just the moral judgement of Samaritan and other programs like it that really bugs me. YMMV, and I'm happy it works for some. I never-in-a-million-years thought that we would need addiction therapy. I can understand "judging" the adults, but to extend that to the children of moral, Christian parents just seems so harsh to me.

Some insurance does cover some rehab--many private rehabs don't take insurance, though. One of the places we have experience with did not take insurance, but the insurance agreed to pay for the place by reimbursement.

Creekland said (Sorry, I don't know how to properly multiquote)

It's not so much that I think insurance is the be all, end all, it's just the moral judgement of Samaritan and other programs like it that really bugs me. YMMV, and I'm happy it works for some. I never-in-a-million-years thought that we would need addiction therapy. I can understand "judging" the adults, but to extend that to the children of moral, Christian parents just seems so harsh to me.

I agree. We have the info from Samaritan Ministries, and I really like the idea of it, but their stance on addiction...not so much. Also their newsletter was super conservative--not all Christians believe the same things and I think their targeting a different sort of Christian than me. It's too bad--I think DH really doesn't want to support them, even though I think it would be a good solution for us in many ways.

It's too bad--I think DH really doesn't want to support them, even though I think it would be a good solution for us in many ways.

I agree that the newsletter tends to be conservative more often than not, so if that's an issue for people, it's good to know ahead of time.

But seriously, do you think the $$ you would send to a for-profit insurance company will only go to people you agree with ideologically? I find it doubtful. There will be many different beliefs among the stockholders and management, etc., as well as those receiving benefits. One of the differences with Samaritans is that there are NO stockholders or high paid CEO types. It's mainly other people who love health sharing who are on the receiving end. If it bothers you that many of these may be conservative, so be it. It's probably best that you wouldn't be sending medical bill assistance to them nor have them sending their money to you if you had a need. (I know some REALLY conservative believers who have traditional insurance too - esp if provided through their workplace. Some $$ people send to insurance company goes to helping them.)