Menu

Literature Discussions

happycc

I am always short on time during the day to get things all done and noticed I just wasn;t asking the basic literature discussion questions that were listed in the The well trained mind. I just send my kids reading books in bed at nights. They have all kinds. I may mention "Oh did you like the book?" But that is about it.

I am thinking about printing out the questions and laminating it and making placemats for the kitchen table so I can be prompted to ask those questions during dinner/mealtimes.

What do the rest of you think?

Will it lead to great discussions during the meals or will it cause stress and indigestion?

I am bumping this for myself so I remember to do this in the next couple of days...but now instead of placemats I am thinking of a table cover of some sort. A plastic one to lay on the kitchen table with all the literature questions listed. Any suggestions? Crafty people?

I am thinking about printing out the questions and laminating it and making placemats for the kitchen table so I can be prompted to ask those questions during dinner/mealtimes.

Love the idea! I think I'm going to do this with the Spalding 5 Attributes of Quality Literature.

I am bumping this for myself so I remember to do this in the next couple of days...but now instead of placemats I am thinking of a table cover of some sort. A plastic one to lay on the kitchen table with all the literature questions listed. Any suggestions? Crafty people?

A homeschooler I knew when we were first starting put maps and other school aids on top of her kitchen table, then threw a 2 yard piece of clear vinyl from a fabric store on top of it. She taped the ends of the vinyl to the bottom side of the table so it couldn't slide off. They could use dry erase markers on it, have all sorts of dinner discussions, and the maps stayed pretty.

(Also, the book Deconstructing Penguins would give you some great ideas for those conversations. It's for you to read.)

A homeschooler I knew when we were first starting put maps and other school aids on top of her kitchen table, then threw a 2 yard piece of clear vinyl from a fabric store on top of it. She taped the ends of the vinyl to the bottom side of the table so it couldn't slide off. They could use dry erase markers on it, have all sorts of dinner discussions, and the maps stayed pretty.

(Also, the book Deconstructing Penguins would give you some great ideas for those conversations. It's for you to read.)

I like that even better than placemats.