Menu

So what do you really think of using a wallboard

Back when dry erase boards were just starting to replace chalkboards in the classroom, I hired in at the last minute to a local middle school. No plans were in place to replace my chalkboards, so I bought the shower board from Lowes and asked the school maintenance man to hang it. It worked beautifully for the 6+ yrs I taught in that room. I used dry erase markers and a felt eraser - and lots of each as I taught 8th grade grammar.

Wet erase pens write very finely, so it is hard to see from a distance. They wouldn't have been practical in a classroom, but perhaps in a home setting they'd be more useful (but certainly not necessary to replace dry erase).

for dry erase from the bathroom section of Home Depot?

Does it erase? What's the best pens? visa, wet erase (I've never seen these), dry erase, eraser, cleaner?

Or don't buy it?

I've had mine for 6.5 years, and it still looks great. I use dry erase markers; I used Expo until last year when I switched to Quartet from Staples. The best eraser I've found are 3M whiteboard erasers. When it gets grungy looking, I clean it with rubbing alcohol.

So I just bought one and it seems to erase just fine. I've heard some put like a furniture wax on it, but not sure if I should do that or not.

For $12.98 I think it was a great buy, even if it shadows. I could buy a new one every year till dd is done w/school and I'd still not pay the price they want for something of this size. And...if I don't want it in a year or two, I feel NOT bad on getting rid of it.

Love ours! I took one 4x8 sheet made a 5 x4, a 3x4, and two 3x2 boards. Big one is one the dining room wall, one in dd's room, one on the pantry door and the other little one she uses as a lap desk...awesome for math...doesn't need scrap paper.

DSCF2443sm.jpg

This is an old picture. I got some 1x2's and painted them for trim. It serves as a marker shelf, too.

That's what our vet clinic has on the wall and the vet write with dry erase on them all the time. No problems at all with it. I loved it enough there that I am using it in my barn now too. Now I can write down personal things about each animal that I need to remember.

they sell actual sheets of true dry erase board now. You can go to the section in lowes or Home depot that has bead board, etc. and it is there. It cost me 9 or 10 bucks for the entire sheet.

That's where I got mine. $12.00! Maybe that's what I got! Seems a bit thin to be used in a bathroom. Seems to write and erase wonderfully.

I also am thinking of putting up a frame. Maybe out of cork squares, even if it's on one side or the rail type. Then I have both. Except I'll bet the cork costs more than the wallboard. ;)

Edited by alilac

My kids are young, so we use Crayola dry erase crayons. My little one likes to color all over the board when we're not using it, so we have to rub harder to erase her bigger pictures. We use a damp cloth once a week to get it really clean. The red seems to ghost more than other clolors.

We framed it with the thin plastic edging that goes with this type of board. It's attached to the wall with mirror brackets.