Menu

Thyroid meds generic or name?

I have been taking the generic brand for about 12 years with no ill effects. I talked to several medical professionals back then and thy all agreed that I should save my money. I'm sorry that I can't remember any of the facts. I have taken the medicine for 26 years if that helps any.

I was on Synthroid for about a year, then switched to generic and have been on generic for over 10 years. There wasn't any difference for me, and I've never had any problems. I do have a blood test about once/year to make sure I'm on the correct dosage.

In my experience you can do either, but the dosage may be different.

I started on Levoxyl (a brand name) and now my current doctor doesn't want to switch to generic because finding the correct dosage again could be difficult. It isn't a issue for us because of how our insurance pays for medicine, but I wish Walgreens would stop trying to get us to switch.

In the pharmacy, I would say we sell at least 10 generic thyroids for every 1 brand name, but it is more likely 20:1 or higher. Generics have the same amount of active ingredients as brand names, but the inert ingredients can be different (they may not be different, it is just allowed).

Thyroid medications are dosed in very, very tiny increments. They are measured in micrograms, instead of milligrams (common pharmacy units). The inert ingredients in all medications (the binders, dyes, fillers) can make tiny variations in how a person absorbs the active ingredients. Since thyroid medications are dosed in such tiny doses, these differences may be more obvious, or there may be no change at all.

That being said, my suggestion would be to try the generic medicine for 2 months. See how you feel. If there is no difference, then be happy and move on, keeping more money in your pocket. :0) If you do feel different, ask the doctor to check your levels and then, if needed, adjust your dose accordingly. Try 2 months on the new dose to see how you feel.

Generics have the same active ingredients as the brand name, you may just need a different dose.

$40 a month sounds high. I am pretty sure when I used the name brand stuff it was about $25 for a 90 day supply. Also you can get a 90 day supply of the generic from Target for $10. With some meds these days it is better not to use your insurance. The big thing no matter what you chose it to stick with one brand. Your dosage can change from brand to brand. So do what you want get your level adjusted and then stick with it. :)

I was on Synthroid for about a year, then switched to generic and have been on generic for over 10 years. There wasn't any difference for me, and I've never had any problems. I do have a blood test about once/year to make sure I'm on the correct dosage.

:iagree: (I've been on generic for about 3 years. Haven't noticed a difference.)

$40 a month sounds high. I am pretty sure when I used the name brand stuff it was about $25 for a 90 day supply. Also you can get a 90 day supply of the generic from Target for $10. With some meds these days it is better not to use your insurance. The big thing no matter what you chose it to stick with one brand. Your dosage can change from brand to brand. So do what you want get your level adjusted and then stick with it. :)

Synthroid has gotten really expensive in the past 5 years. $40 a month is a pretty typical price for it now.

I took the generic meds for the first 11 years after I was diagnosed and experienced some big fluctuations in thyroid levels (I was tested every three to six months, trying to get it under control). It wasn't until I switched to the brand name that my levels settled down and I started feeling better.

My mom, on the other hand, has had no problems taking the generic form.

I use the Costco pharmacy (not a member, though) and my meds cost around $32 a month - cheaper than anywhere else in town.

The inert ingredients in all medications (the binders, dyes, fillers) can make tiny variations in how a person absorbs the active ingredients. Since thyroid medications are dosed in such tiny doses, these differences may be more obvious, or there may be no change at all.

Generics have the same active ingredients as the brand name, you may just need a different dose.

This is making perfect, perfect sense to me right now. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and I've been on the same dose of the same generic since that time, doing wonderfully. Then my insurance dropped my pharm and I had to switch. I've been on the new generic for three months and realized last week I have been plummeting, getting my symptoms back in spades. Either my hypo is all of the sudden getting much worse or it is due to the change in my prescription. I believe it's the latter. The rotten thing on top of the rotten thing is that I've just seen my new doc out here and she's taking levels to adjust me but then I will be at a new pharmacy with a 3rd generic. I hope it doesn't take me long to level out because until I do, I'm just not myself.

Anyway, all this to say I agree with Tap. I wonder how many people have switched from brand name to generic and claim the generic isn't as effective when, really, it's a dosing issue.

The head of Riley's Endo changed my daughter to brand name because her levels with generic were fluctuating too much. She's been on Synthroid now for over 6 months and it has made a world of difference. My mom also has to take name brand. Our endo said it was pretty common.

Edited by mommymilkies

I started on the generic and had a very difficult time with my levels - switched to name brand Synthroid ($36/mth) and the past 3 years have been a breeze. I switched a month ago to the generic to save money and darn if I'm not feeling considerably worse. *sigh* Guess I'll have to switch back.

Give the generics a try.

Do remember, though, that there are more generic drug companies out there than just one. This means that...

1) If you don't feel good on the first generics you try, call around a few drug stores and ask who supplies their thyroid meds. The sheet that you get from drug store should say "Made by Acme." So you call around and find something made by someone else.

2) If you feel good on generics for a few months or more and then start not feeling well, check the little white info sheet that came with the last prescription. It could be that RiteAid (or whomever you use...) changed from Acme to PharmKing. Then, you need to find a new pharmacy that uses Acme.

Agree to give generic a try. Both dh and my brother are on Synthroid and both tried generic at one time and both had adverse reactions. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was interesting that both had the same reaction; and it wasn't just that it didn't work as well. Both are on a pretty high dosage so maybe that had something to do with it.