Menu

Question for those of you who use Teaching Textbooks...

MiniBlondes

This is our first year homeschooling. We have selected TT for my oldest DD. She has been begging to start school and I'm not quite ready yet but yesterday I let her try out her TT and she did the first 3 lessons. They went by really quickly. Of course this was all simple review type stuff.

I'm wondering if I should supplement TT with something else? If you use TT do you you supplement? If so, with what?

Thanks! :)

Did you do the placement test to decide what level of TT to use? TT runs about a year behind - meaning most 4th graders are using TT5, it seems. It's also the case that they all begin with review, so after the first 10 or so lessons it might slow her down a little. But I would definitely take a look at the placement tests, and the table of contents on the level you have.

And, it may really be too easy, in which case you may decide to add something else, or switch programs, or advance a level in TT. The possibilities are endless (says the girl who uses 3 different math programs at the same time!! ;))

Ditto to all the above. :) Make sure she's placed correctly.

We started using TT in 2nd grade, and I did find that at first, kiddo would do several lessons at once. But the novelty wore off, for us, and we are doing one lesson per day. It could be partly because he is now past the review stage, and into new material... But I think it was the novelty.

We don't supplement with a full math curriculum, but we do a lot of "living math" type activities here. We read math readers, talk about math, and generally try to incorporate it daily. We also do LOF.