Menu

Anything like Common Sense Media for YA books?

I have come to really appreciate and depend on the information at Common Sense Media when deciding which movies are appropriate for my tween. Is there anything remotely like that which gives information on the content of young adult books? I continue to be amazed at how much more sexually-oriented (and sometimes graphically so) so many of the books seem to be now. I can keep up with the manga (her preferred medium) because it's 1) easy to flip through and 2) usually now has a rating on the back so that I know which ones I need to check first. So, anywhere that even gives something as basic as general movie/manga ratings or more detailed reviews?

I don't know of such a site, but part of my job is ordering young adult books for our library. I generally go to the worst Amazon reviews to see why people didn't like a book before I put it on the order. That works really well for me. In general, I try to avoid detailed sex or death-focused storylines.

I have come across this site---Monster Librarian http://monsterlibrarian.com/about_the_site.htm ---which focuses on kids and YA horror fiction reviews for librarians. Since my daughter loves vampires/creepy stuff (and that seems to be one of the genres where the themes get problematic easily in the YA section), I'll have to do some research on her reviews.

I thought Common Sense media did review books.

eta: I just went there and put "manga" in the search and only four books came up. I don't know if they need more specific search terms or if they don't have that many books reviews.

eta2: because I just re-read your OP and see that manga isn't a problem for you, but still, looking around the Common Sense site more (I need some more book ideas for DS anyway!) I'm seeing that they don't seem to have as many book reviews as they do movie/tv reviews. That's really too bad.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine