Menu

Anyone good at Greek? I need some translation!

I have been working with Greek to GCSE on my own, but it has no answer key. I'm still in the first chapter and I think I know how to translate these sentences, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Can anyone help me out so I know if I've got it right?

Ό στρατηγος βουλην ούκ έχει.

Ό θεος την τιμην έχει.

Translate.google.com

The general counsel is essential.

God has honor.

I know that Theos is the first word in your second sentence. My daughter says that the last word in each sentence is a single verb ending. The first word in the first sentence is stratigos (strategy).

Sorry, I'm not much more help. Most of my children have only had two years of Greek study (they will be in third year this year). I'm terrible at Greek, but learning a couple of words at a time. And DH isn't home to ask (he's familiar with Koine Greek though).

Edited by mommaduck

Translate.google.com

I know that Theos is the first word in your second sentence. My daughter says that the last word in each sentence is a single verb ending. The first word in the first sentence is stratigos (strategy).

Sorry, I'm not much more help. Most of my children have only had two years of Greek study (they will be in third year this year). I'm terrible at Greek, but learning a couple of words at a time. And DH isn't home to ask (he's familiar with Koine Greek though).

I got this through google translate too but it translates modern Greek. In the section these are part of it's discussing negatives, and states that ούκ is the negative. It's in the first sentences, so wouldn't it translate to The generals counsel is not essential? I'm so confused! Why don't they have an answer key????

The general does not have a plan.

The god has honor.

Adding exei is 3rd person singular present of exo -- to have

ouk is the same as ou, but before a vowel

-- sorry not to use the right alphabet!

BTW, I'm just going with the basic Introductory Greek (ancient) meaning for each word. Obviously each word could have other meanings.

Edited by Alessandra

The general does not have a plan.

The god has honor.

Adding exei is 3rd person singular present of exo -- to have

ouk is the same as ou, but before a vowel

-- sorry not to use the right alphabet!

BTW, I'm just going with the basic Introductory Greek (ancient) meaning for each word. Obviously each word could have other meanings.

Okay, this is what I thought, but goggle translate confused me! Gaaaa! Can I ask what program you use? I hate not having an answer key.

Okay, this is what I thought, but goggle translate confused me! Gaaaa! Can I ask what program you use? I hate not having an answer key.

The 'program' I used is what I learned in college, lol. Thank goodness your words were basic ones!

Not having an answer key must be incredibly frustrating. Isn't there a vocabulary list at the back of your book? I am always so grateful for those little lists, because there is usually one simple definition for each word.